PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco LFP get together

angusparker
5-Dec-2014, 17:39
Wondering if there would be interest in an evening get together in San Francisco to share / critique prints, possible show and tell presentation, and general Q&A on things large format? Not sure on venue, guess it would depend on number of people interested. Probably would be good idea to do it somewhere around the Marina to see if we could attract some of the Marin crowd. Thoughts? ideas? Interest? We could try it once and see if there was an appetite to repeat every couple of months.

richardman
5-Dec-2014, 17:42
I am interested but no budget for big dinner or anything :-/

I am from the South Bay.

angusparker
5-Dec-2014, 17:44
I am interested but no budget for big dinner or anything :-/

I am from the South Bay.

Figure might be drinks to buy but not dinner. Seems like a lot of LF events in Bay Area are South - hoping to brings more energy up here in the North Bay! Everyone welcome to come of course wherever they live / work!

karl french
5-Dec-2014, 17:55
There are a few of us in SF. Sounds like a fine idea.

angusparker
5-Dec-2014, 18:25

Great. Any specific things that would interest you to come?

richardman
5-Dec-2014, 19:21
I don't know other South Bay LFers :-/

karl french
5-Dec-2014, 19:30
There is a Large Format meetup group. But it's not particularly active these days. Though we did have a print viewing and social get together a few months ago down in San Jose.

angusparker
5-Dec-2014, 20:40
There is a Large Format meetup group. But it's not particularly active these days. Though we did have a print viewing and social get together a few months ago down in San Jose.

Of course, we should reach out through the meetup group too. Just wanted to start here first to get a nucleus going.

BradS
5-Dec-2014, 21:21
I'm interested....not too familiar with Marin...please not on a friday night.

angusparker
5-Dec-2014, 21:26
I'm interested....not too familiar with Main...please not on a friday night.

No Friday night, that's good input.

richardman
5-Dec-2014, 21:55
Any weeknight is death for anyone coming from San Mateo or further south.

DG 3313
5-Dec-2014, 22:17
Or East of the bay......

Bill Burk
6-Dec-2014, 09:16
As hard as it is for me to be anywhere at any one time... I had no problem making it to Oakland by 1pm on a Saturday last month to see Mary Alinder.

So it might be a good idea to pick a mid-day (or early morning if you want to photograph) weekend...

tgtaylor
6-Dec-2014, 11:02
When I was running a photography Meetup group (http://www.meetup.com/SF-Bay-Area-Photographers-Explorers/) I held meeting in various Starbucks and reserved rooms at public library (Fremont Main). For a presumably small gathering as this would undoubtedly be (10 or so), a reasonable size Starbucks works and I have displayed 16x20's mounted to 22x28 in a rather small Starbucks in Hayward with about 15 in attendance. A library room would be a better idea and refreshments could be brought.

In college my math class always went to a nearby Pizza parlor for pizza and beer.

Thomas

angusparker
6-Dec-2014, 11:33
When I was running a photography Meetup group (http://www.meetup.com/SF-Bay-Area-Photographers-Explorers/) I held meeting in various Starbucks and reserved rooms at public library (Fremont Main). For a presumably small gathering as this would undoubtedly be (10 or so), a reasonable size Starbucks works and I have displayed 16x20's mounted to 22x28 in a rather small Starbucks in Hayward with about 15 in attendance. A library room would be a better idea and refreshments could be brought.

In college my math class always went to a nearby Pizza parlor for pizza and beer.

Thomas

Thanks for the ideas. Library sounds like a good idea.

tgtaylor
6-Dec-2014, 21:26
An excellent place for a meetup in downtown San Francisco is at the Crossroads Café, 699 Delancey St (http://www.delanceystreetfoundation.org/entercafe.php) It is photography group meetup friendly and has been the regular meetup location for the San Francisco Photography Meetup Group (http://www.meetup.com/photo-437/events/215896942/) for many years now. Og course you would not want to schedule a meetup at the same time that they are having theirs. Parking may be a challenge but truthfully I have never had a problem. Of course there are other similar venues available throughout the Bay Area but I can't think of any at the present. I always used the Starbuck's store locator to locate a Starbuck's close to where I wanted to schedule a meetup.

I would be interested in participating in a group that met on a regular basis over coffee or the like to show and discuss current work. I'm not really interested in "shoot" meetups as I have found them in the past to be generally a waste of time. I work more efficiently solo.

Thomas

angusparker
6-Dec-2014, 21:28
An excellent place for a meetup in downtown San Francisco is at the Crossroads Café, 699 Delancey St (http://www.delanceystreetfoundation.org/entercafe.php) It is photography group meetup friendly and has been the regular meetup location for the San Francisco Photography Meetup Group (http://www.meetup.com/photo-437/events/215896942/) for many years now. Og course you would not want to schedule a meetup at the same time that they are having theirs. Parking may be a challenge but truthfully I have never had a problem. Of course there are other similar venues available throughout the Bay Area but I can't think of any at the present. I always used the Starbuck's store locator to locate a Starbuck's close to where I wanted to schedule a meetup.

I would be interested in participating in a group that met on a regular basis over coffee or the like to show and discuss current work. I'm not really interested in "shoot" meetups as I have found them in the past to be generally a waste of time. I work more efficiently solo.

Thomas

Thanks for the specifics. It's good to combine the solo shooting ethic with group sharing and learning!

Lenny Eiger
7-Dec-2014, 10:13
The meetup group in San Jose does their best to schedule events all around the Bay... I live in the north Bay and they have come up here plenty of times... Its a good group. There seems to be a huge difference between the LF'ers and the general photography groups. LF'er appear to be nice, friendly, fairly humble and happy to share whatever they know. One gets to see the lens you didn't buy on someone else's camera, or every kind of loupe known to man.

The more general photography groups seem to cater to a lot of amateurs, all showing off the fanciest digital gear. It's more like a car show. I imagine there are exception, I would certainly hope so. I was asked to give critiques to a local show where you have to give every photo a number, as in somebody wins. I looked at some of the past competitions and declined outright. Not only do I refuse to think of photography as a competition but I wouldn't have given any of the past winners more than a 6 out of a possible 100. Apparently, it takes all kinds...

That said (sorry for the vent) I would check in with Atul and Tim at the meetup group. It's really a great group of people. Amanda Tomlin, Karl French and Bernice Loui are members, also vocal here, among others.

http://www.meetup.com/SFBayAreaLFers/

Lenny

angusparker
7-Dec-2014, 14:51
The meetup group in San Jose does their best to schedule events all around the Bay... I live in the north Bay and they have come up here plenty of times... Its a good group. There seems to be a huge difference between the LF'ers and the general photography groups. LF'er appear to be nice, friendly, fairly humble and happy to share whatever they know. One gets to see the lens you didn't buy on someone else's camera, or every kind of loupe known to man.

The more general photography groups seem to cater to a lot of amateurs, all showing off the fanciest digital gear. It's more like a car show. I imagine there are exception, I would certainly hope so. I was asked to give critiques to a local show where you have to give every photo a number, as in somebody wins. I looked at some of the past competitions and declined outright. Not only do I refuse to think of photography as a competition but I wouldn't have given any of the past winners more than a 6 out of a possible 100. Apparently, it takes all kinds...

That said (sorry for the vent) I would check in with Atul and Tim at the meetup group. It's really a great group of people. Amanda Tomlin, Karl French and Bernice Loui are members, also vocal here, among others.

http://www.meetup.com/SFBayAreaLFers/

Lenny

Will do. Thanks for the input.

Amedeus
9-Dec-2014, 12:30
Interested ...

tgtaylor
10-Dec-2014, 20:30
Would sometime in January work?

Thomas

angusparker
10-Dec-2014, 21:00
Would sometime in January work?

Thomas

Yes for sure. Weekdays work best for me - want to keep weekends for skiing and family obligations. I recognize that might ring numbers down but a small group is probably a good place to start. What time / days of the week work best for you?

tgtaylor
10-Dec-2014, 21:06
Weekdays work best for me also as I like to keep my weekends open. I work during the day so anytime after say 5pm works for me.

Thomas

angusparker
11-Dec-2014, 14:59
Weekdays work best for me also as I like to keep my weekends open. I work during the day so anytime after say 5pm works for me.

Thomas

Perfect

Bill Burk
11-Dec-2014, 17:51
Not to constrain the group, but avoid Tuesdays and I can make it...

angusparker
11-Dec-2014, 19:37
Not to constrain the group, but avoid Tuesdays and I can make it...

Thanks. Think we can avoid a Tuesday!

angusparker
17-Dec-2014, 12:19
So the venue I'm looking at is the SF Library on Green and Octavia. The best nights seem to be Wednesdays and Thursdays. So I made a Doodle poll. Please let me know if you can make any of the dates and times in January and I'll try and book a meeting room: http://doodle.com/twrrdmcd2k4y9kqe

I'll then open it up to the Bay Area meetup group and post there.

angusparker
18-Dec-2014, 10:02
Thanks Bill and Thomas for responding to the poll. Anyone else able to come?

angusparker
19-Dec-2014, 15:17
Thanks Amadeus. Anyone else want to chime in? I'm leaning towards Jan 21 from 6-8pm trying to book a room.

angusparker
21-Dec-2014, 17:24
Meetup now up on Bay Area LF group: http://meetu.ps/2FgZd8

angusparker
23-Dec-2014, 10:19
Time had to be moved up slight to 5:30-7:30 due to library rules. Hard to argue with a free venue! Details here: http://www.meetup.com/SFBayAreaLFers/events/219368404/ would be great if you could confirm your RSVP on that page. Thank you.

angusparker
24-Dec-2014, 11:29

Hope you can make it on Jan 21. Details in thread.

angusparker
15-Jan-2015, 14:06
Should be at least 12 of us: http://www.meetup.com/SFBayAreaLFers/events/219368404/

angusparker
20-Jan-2015, 19:29
See everyone tomorrow!

angusparker
2-Feb-2015, 15:49
Meeting went well, 12 people or so showed up. We'll do it again in a couple of months probably at the Main Public Library in SF near the Civic Center area.

macandal
15-Jul-2015, 12:01
Are we doing this again? I hope so...

angusparker
15-Jul-2015, 20:04
Are we doing this again? I hope so...

Yes we should. Do you have any particular subject you would like to cover? Early September would probably work for me....

Bill Burk
15-Jul-2015, 21:08
That works for me. I WILL have my "presentation" together in time for that. "Calling your shots" or "Divided attention" are the working titles...

Somebody told me that I have to throw out the whole "left brain" "right brain" theory... So I have some more work to do. But at the very least I'll have handouts.

angusparker
20-Jul-2015, 18:31
That works for me. I WILL have my "presentation" together in time for that. "Calling your shots" or "Divided attention" are the working titles...

Somebody told me that I have to throw out the whole "left brain" "right brain" theory... So I have some more work to do. But at the very least I'll have handouts.

Sounds interesting - what is the theme more precisely?

Lenny Eiger
21-Jul-2015, 10:54
I went to that last one... The get-togethers for the meetup group, with a couple of exceptions, have been for the purpose of shooting. We always get together and yak for lunch, or more if we are camping...

This one in San Francisco seemed a bit on the didactic side for me... almost as if it were to help people just starting out. However, there was only one or two newbies there, the rest were old hands. If the purpose is to help people new to LF, then it should be stated so. If there is a question and answer session on the zone system, then everyone should know going in.

Of, of course, there is some other purpose, then that should be outlined....

Bill Burk
21-Jul-2015, 18:45
I'll show my approach to the "Zone System"...

Zone System metering and "N" notation when shooting (standard Zone System by any teacher's method).
Sensitometry to make a Time/Contrast Index chart.
A Kodak chart to pick Contrast Index based on Paper "LER" and "N" notation.

angusparker
21-Jul-2015, 19:41
I went to that last one... The get-togethers for the meetup group, with a couple of exceptions, have been for the purpose of shooting. We always get together and yak for lunch, or more if we are camping...

This one in San Francisco seemed a bit on the didactic side for me... almost as if it were to help people just starting out. However, there was only one or two newbies there, the rest were old hands. If the purpose is to help people new to LF, then it should be stated so. If there is a question and answer session on the zone system, then everyone should know going in.

Of, of course, there is some other purpose, then that should be outlined....

Hi Lenny - yes there were a few newbies and then the old hands. I enjoyed seeing the prints made with different processes. I agree we should be very clear what the "talk" is about and then have general print share and open time afterwards. Of course a shooting trip would be great to organize as well - but it's hard to find a time that works - for example I have a hard time getting away on the weekends while others can only go then.

richardman
22-Jul-2015, 23:46
Broken record here: but for people not in the City, weekday late afternoons / evenings just won't be worth it, especially now with the "boom time in the City" making even more commuter traffic.

angusparker
23-Jul-2015, 06:42
Broken record here: but for people not in the City, weekday late afternoons / evenings just won't be worth it, especially now with the "boom time in the City" making even more commuter traffic.

Let's see if we can make it a weekend this time.

Lenny Eiger
28-Jul-2015, 10:00
I'll show my approach to the "Zone System"...

Hi there Bill. This is exactly what I was talking about... I think one needs to figure out who would go to such a meeting.... and whether the prospects would be interested in such a presentation.

I'm sure you have a wonderful presentation, but I did this exercise in the late 70's, and taught it to many college students over the years. I don't need to tune my techniques, I am getting 20 out of 20 nicely exposed and developed sheets when shooting... so I wouldn't be interested in this... If you find that you are starting a group that are beginners in large format, this would be terrific for them.

My sense of the group last time was of the dozen or so people that showed up, that there were 2 newbies, one which I brought with me. There were maybe a couple of others that could have used a tune-up. If I am correct then 3/4 of the attendants (if the same people showed up) would be bored by this presentation.

If you advertise it as a large format "learning" class, then maybe not... For a more advanced presentation, one might schedule a panel discussion, an argument between two opposing views, or an interview with a well-known photographer. The meetup group did mostly nothing but meet up and do something together, and this was plenty for all of us. I'm not suggesting one or the other, but I do think its important to understand what the demographic is and design the purpose of the group to meet their needs...

macandal
28-Jul-2015, 12:48
Hi there Bill....Well, there doesn't need to be a lecture.

I think Bill is joking. In an earlier post, he said he would show us a project he's been working on. I'm about to embark on my first project and would love to hear about his approach (i.e., how he went about shooting his particular subject matter and things to keep in mind when working on a project, etc).

richardman
28-Jul-2015, 14:44
I rather meet up, shoot the breeze, chit chat, than learning anything, to be honest. May be do a "everyone shows a print and talk for 2 mins max"

macandal
28-Jul-2015, 15:39
I rather meet up, shoot the breeze, chit chat, than learning anything, to be honest. May be do a "everyone shows a print and talk for 2 mins max"I'd do that too.

Either way, I like meeting other LF shooters. I don't see enough of us here "in the wild."

angusparker
28-Jul-2015, 17:08
How about a few people share projects and the rest bring prints?

Bill Burk
1-Aug-2015, 21:24
I like the way the last time we had a panel discussion going. I liked when the talk turned to the relative merit of silver gelatin compared to alt processes. Which alt process to try was a really good question.

No, I don't want to take more time than anyone else. 2 minutes and a handout is appropriate.

Bill Burk
13-Aug-2015, 23:38
Here's the handout. Just need to pick up a few Stouffer Scales to go with it.

http://beefalobill.com/imgs/20150812%20CallingYourShot-DividedAttention.pdf

dasBlute
14-Aug-2015, 06:16
cool, always nice to meet new folk, and Lenny is always a hoot :)

so, is there a date? I can bring a couple prints...

-Tim

angusparker
15-Aug-2015, 09:15
I'll start looking at availability in the main SF library near city hall which is close to BART for those you live in the East Bay and accessible to the Peninsular via CalTrain. I'm thinking mid-September would work well for me. How about you guys?

macandal
16-Aug-2015, 12:04
I'll start looking at availability in the main SF library near city hall which is close to BART for those you live in the East Bay and accessible to the Peninsular via CalTrain. I'm thinking mid-September would work well for me. How about you guys?Fine with me.

tgtaylor
28-Aug-2015, 20:32
What about a weekend picnic along the shoreline of Lake Meredith in Oakland while the weather is still good? There are several suitable spots and one in particular offers a covered portico through which most people out to take the view pass through. Musicians usually occupy the front outside portion during the afternoon and dancing is common. The spot could be easily staked in the morning. Along with food, cold sodas and music source, a suitable background and lighting could be set-up to take portraits of agreeable passerby's. A print rack or two could display prints to those that are interested. What do you think?

Thomas

Bill Burk
28-Aug-2015, 21:09
Sounds good to me. Talked to Stouffer yesterday, they're sending out the scales Monday. I'll be able to spare three of them.

tgtaylor
29-Aug-2015, 10:01
What about a weekend picnic along the shoreline of Lake Meredith in Oakland while the weather is still good? There are several suitable spots and one in particular offers a covered portico through which most people out to take the view pass through. Musicians usually occupy the front outside portion during the afternoon and dancing is common. The spot could be easily staked in the morning. Along with food, cold sodas and music source, a suitable background and lighting could be set-up to take portraits of agreeable passerby's. A print rack or two could display prints to those that are interested. What do you think?

Thomas

That's Lake Merritt instead of "Lake Meredith" (it must of have been one of those "senior moments"). Also, this would necessarily need to be a commercial free outing as a sellers permit would probably be required to sell prints or portraits. Nevertheless it would be a fun time at a nice venue doing and talking photography with the general public.

Thomas

angusparker
29-Aug-2015, 14:10
It's easier for me to get away on the evenings. We could do night shooting at the Palace of Fine Arts again ... but I don't need to be present. Lake Merritt sounds like a fun idea.

Bill Burk
13-Sep-2015, 20:52
Got my Stouffer scales and also finished a little project that I've been meaning to get to...

I made some Zone Rulers...

http://beefalobill.com/imgs/5ZoneRulers.jpg

akaa
24-Sep-2015, 13:27
I'm in when you guys set a date....

angusparker
24-Sep-2015, 20:01
I'm in when you guys set a date....

Ok. Time to book a room at the library! Any preference for time of day during weekend? Later is better for me.

Bill Burk
25-Sep-2015, 16:46
Oct 17-18 are out for me, otherwise I should be able to make it anytime.

tgtaylor
26-Sep-2015, 10:56
If anyone is interested in getting together for a social, see http://www.apug.org/forums/forum133/57734-apug-alive-bay-area-10.html

Thomas

tgtaylor
26-Sep-2015, 13:07
Just a thought:

There will be a full lunar eclipse visible on the west coast beginning ~ 6:40PM pacific tomorrow. I'm planning to photograph it in B&W with a 400mm P67II. If you would like to meet-up for this event, reply here and send me a PM for location which will be chosen depending on the fog conditions at that time. I will have my 16x70 Fujinon binoculars mounted on a parallelogram mount for viewing along with a 10x50 pair.

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/details.cgi?aid=4340

Thomas

seabee1999
28-Sep-2015, 19:41
I hate to share this at the very last minute but the family and I are heading up to Santa Rosa area tomorrow and leaving for Sacramento Friday spending a night there and leaving Sunday back home. I believe I'll have a morning or afternoon one day to meet up with someone even if it's just for a coffee. If you happen to be free one day (& flexible) and my family and I don't have full schedule please let me know and I'll do my best to meet up. Thanks for your time.

R/
Dave