PDA

View Full Version : Backpack for Toyo 810M

Ari
26-Nov-2014, 11:37
Hi all,

I find myself wanting to get away from the pavement a little more these days, and setting up for outdoor portraits is harder with a rolling case, on certain terrain.
I don't know from backpacks at all, so I am turning to the forum for some good suggestions.

I contacted Bruce a Photobackpacker about something for my Toyo, and unfortunately, he no longer had any inserts for the Toyo 810M.
The 810M is a little larger than a normal 8x10, I believe it is 15" x 15" x 6" including knobs, which meant that Bruce could not help me, unfortunately.

So I am looking for any other suggestions, new or used, for a backpack.
Contents: Toyo 810M, 2-3 lenses on Technika boards, cable releases, light meter, loupe. And as many 8x10 holders as will fit, if that's at all possible.

Thanks in advance

Jim Cole
26-Nov-2014, 11:59
Ari,

The pack is so comfortable that you may want to consider just wrapping the camera and taking advantage of all of the other aspects of his excellent backpack. You may be able to find a suitable carry case for the Toyo elsewhere.

Michael Graves
26-Nov-2014, 12:01
I have the F64 large for my 810M. My current setup is the camera, a 375mm Caltar 6.3, a 159mm WA Wollensak and a 19" Artar. I get 3 film holders and the focusing cloth in with it as well. Then I have my wife carry it because it's heavy.

adelorenzo
26-Nov-2014, 12:12
Hi Ari,

I carry mine in an EVOC Photo Pack (http://www.evocsports.com/photo/cp-35l-camera-pack). I like this pack because it's well made, rugged and fits really well for activities like mountain biking. It will carry everything you ask but the downside is there isn't room to carry a huge amount of film holders. I normally carry 2 holders at a time although it is possible to squeeze in a few more.

Also, they are definitely not cheap.

If you are interested I can post a few pics or maybe a video.

Regards,
Anthony

Ari
26-Nov-2014, 12:14
Ari,

The pack is so comfortable that you may want to consider just wrapping the camera and taking advantage of all of the other aspects of his excellent backpack. You may be able to find a suitable carry case for the Toyo elsewhere.

Jim, that's not a bad idea; I'm surprised that neither I nor Bruce thought of that. Will email him again, thank you.

I have the F64 large for my 810M. My current setup is the camera, a 375mm Caltar 6.3, a 159mm WA Wollensak and a 19" Artar. I get 3 film holders and the focusing cloth in with it as well. Then I have my wife carry it because it's heavy.

I'm always in favour of any kind of heavy lifting being done by others. :)

Ari
26-Nov-2014, 12:21
Hi Ari,

I carry mine in an EVOC Photo Pack (http://www.evocsports.com/photo/cp-35l-camera-pack). I like this pack because it's well made, rugged and fits really well for activities like mountain biking. It will carry everything you ask but the downside is there isn't room to carry a huge amount of film holders. I normally carry 2 holders at a time although it is possible to squeeze in a few more.

Also, they are definitely not cheap.

If you are interested I can post a few pics or maybe a video.

Regards,
Anthony

Hi Anthony,
I'd like to consider anything, so yes, please post anything you can (without going to any extra trouble).
The EVOCs look excellent, what size and model do you use for your 810M (CP35l?) ?
And I hope the small ball head is treating you right.
Thanks!

adelorenzo
26-Nov-2014, 12:48
I'll post something this evening. I've been meaning to post a review of the pack anyways as I think it's a good option for large format shooters.

The ball head is great. Just what I was looking for, I have a really lightweight tripod setup now for packing around.

Ari
26-Nov-2014, 12:56
I'll post something this evening. I've been meaning to post a review of the pack anyways as I think it's a good option for large format shooters.

That would be great, Anthony, thank you.

The ball head is great. Just what I was looking for, I have a really lightweight tripod setup now for packing around.

Doubleplusgood! :)

Alan Gales
26-Nov-2014, 14:37
Hi Ari. This is not a backpack but it can do light off-roading. I use one with my Wehman. I also have a cheap soft side vinyl cooler that will sit on top of it and carry extra lenses and film holders.

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-55452RTB-Tradesman-Organizer/dp/B00BZXA35I

I don't know if this will work for you but I wanted to let you know about it.

Ari
26-Nov-2014, 14:44
Hi Alan,
Yes, I saw that in another thread, and that rolling case looks great; I may consider it instead of my Lowepro for the dirtier, dustier, muddier areas.
Thank you!

Kirk Gittings
26-Nov-2014, 16:37

Michael. The shoulder harness and waist belt system on that f64 pack don't look very solid/supportive. What is your experience?

Drew Bedo
26-Nov-2014, 18:34
I have an older model LowePro Super Trekker AW. It holds my Kodak 3D with three film holders and the other stuff. Tripod straps on to the side. I used to carry this rig around, but now have mobility issues. The PowePro packs and bags are well designed and well made. The newer models have refinements in shoulder strap and waist-belt construction. I am sure that there is a size that will work for you.

One time I was traceling by air with a full 4x5 kit in that LowePro backpack as an over-head carryon. The connecting flight was an un-expected regional turbo-prop with no overhead space. It had to be gate checked and was tossed (I saw it happen) into the hold. Everything inside arrived intact. I'd buy another.

Ari
26-Nov-2014, 19:20
Thank you, Drew, Lowepro is always an option if the newer models are hard to come by or too expensive.
I try to support as many different companies as possible, especially if they're smaller, lesser-known companies, but my Lowepro rolling case is the only one that could hold my 8x10 and all the other gear, so I went with the big company for that purchase.

adelorenzo
26-Nov-2014, 23:56
Rather than hijack this discussion I posted a thread with some pictures and thoughts on the EVOC pack.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?118182-Mini-review-EVOC-photo-pack-for-Toyo-810M-or-other-large-format-camera

speedfreak
29-Nov-2014, 10:25
I'm shooting a Calumet C1 and was having trouble finding a pack for it. I had found a cheap padded nylon bag in the bargain bin of a local camera shop that fit the camera very snuggly. Then we went on a field trip to the sporting goods box store. Tried all the larger packs. The Kelty Coyote 80L fit it very well.
The pack is large but is very well built. I pack the dark cloth first for extra padding, then the camera in case, and finally lenses, meter, shutter release, etc in a small bag on top. 8x10 holders are in a laptop case and fit perfect in the front pocket. Fully loaded the pack weighs a lot but with the suspension system it's easily neutralized. It has plenty of room left in the side pockets for water, food, a tarp (to set everything on when unloading).
I need a different setup for lenses and accessories, but right now it works very well and keeps me from hating life trying to deal with crappy shoulder strap systems of typical "photo" backpacks.

Ari
29-Nov-2014, 10:34
Nice set-up, and big backpack. Looks like you have enough room left over to hide a fully-grown leprechaun.
So comfort over capacity seems to be the rule.
Thanks, SF!

Peter De Smidt
30-Nov-2014, 10:58
Here's a blog post with pictures and comments on using a PhotoBackpacker P3 with a large 8x10 field camera: http://peterdesmidt.com/blog/?p=819

Ari
30-Nov-2014, 11:50
Thanks, Peter.

mat4226
3-Dec-2014, 07:35
Michael. The shoulder harness and waist belt system on that f64 pack don't look very solid/supportive. What is your experience?

Sorry to butt-in on the conversation, but in my experience with the F.64 XL backpack, the waist belt is decently supportive, but the shoulder harness and chest strap are pretty weak. Load any more than 10 lbs. in the top compartment of that pack and get ready for some back and shoulder strain. I've modified my F.64 for better top-end support, but it's only a temporary fix while I source a bag that won't kill my back. x__X

Kirk Gittings
3-Dec-2014, 09:27
I gave my new P3 a good test this week and it was the best photo backpack I have ever tried. Going out again tomorrow to the Bisti.

Michael Graves
3-Dec-2014, 13:56

I don't carry it for any great distance. However, I do think that the upper section causes more discomfort than the rest. Fortunately for me, I'm only putting a few pounds of stuff into that compartment.

Ari
3-Dec-2014, 21:55
Thanks everybody, for your answers and help.

I've had to rule out buying a PBP pack, as Bruce just has too few spare parts remaining, and the system wouldn't be the same without them (camera case, lens case, etc).
He made me a very good offer on a P3 and lens cases, but the individual cases just aren't my thing, I shoot a little faster than that. :)
My fault for being so late to the party.

I'm looking hard at Anthony's recommendation of an EVOC pack, as it's ready to use out-of-the-box and seems to be Toyo 810M-friendly.
Reviews are very encouraging, and I'll get to try one out next week in person.

Kirk Gittings
4-Dec-2014, 09:08
I wouldn't rule out the PBP P3. I think it would be super easy to configure the PBP DSLR case kit for the RPT P3 kit to fit an 8x10. I own one-bought it for a switch-out for my 4x5 kit to DSLR but I have considered actually using it for my 4x5 and buying another for my dslr. I haven't decided yet which configuration I will use.126029

Photobackpacker
4-Dec-2014, 13:39
I wouldn't rule out the PBP P3. I think it would be super easy to configure the PBP DSLR case kit for the RPT P3 kit to fit an 8x10. I own one-bought it for a switch-out for my 4x5 kit to DSLR but I have considered actually using it for my 4x5 and buying another for my dslr. I haven't decided yet which configuration I will use.126029

4x5, yes. 8x10 - I wouldn't recommend it. The interior width of the SLR/DSLR enclosure is 11". I don't think the flexibility of the sides would allow the 13.5 to 14.25 inches needed for the normal 8x10 field cameras.

Bruce

Kirk Gittings
4-Dec-2014, 14:59
Got it.

Ari
21-Dec-2014, 15:23
Update: I received the EVOC bag today, and it is really nice, easily accommodating my Toyo 810M and three-lens kit.
Anthony's mini-review is here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?118182-Mini-review-EVOC-photo-pack-for-Toyo-810M-or-other-large-format-camera
I got everything in the case, and including two Toyo holders, the whole thing weighs 13.85 kg, or 30 pounds.
Strapping my tripod to the bag will add another 2.5 pounds.

Anyway, I got it in the hope that I would get out more during the long winter, so here's to hoping!
Thanks to all who replied and helped, in particular Anthony, who reviewed the bag without my asking.

Vaughan
21-Dec-2023, 17:42
Sorry to dig this thread up, but I'm looking for a bag for the Toyo 810M. The EVOC CP 35 seems to be highly regarded, why not the CP 40?