PDA

View Full Version : Wollensak Velostigmat series II f/4.5 12inch lens iris

Brad Bireley
24-Nov-2014, 08:59
When I stopped my Wollensak Velostigmat series II f/4.5 12inch lens down this is the way the iris looks. Is this correct? If not can it be fixed?
Thanks,
Brad

Jon Shiu
24-Nov-2014, 09:08
Wollensak Studio shutter is normal to look like that. Does the shutter work good?

Jon

Brad Bireley
24-Nov-2014, 09:17
The shutter opens & closes by the little lever. I do not have an air bulb(not sure if that's what you call it) to hook up to it to try it. The lens was included with a very nice Kodak 2D 5X7 I got for $50.00. It also came with a Bausch & Lomb 5x8 Tessar Ic lens.

Louis Pacilla
24-Nov-2014, 09:40
That's a fine looking small stop for a Studio shutter. No trouble there.

Oren Grad
24-Nov-2014, 11:12
I have the same lens, also in Studio shutter, and the iris in mine does the same thing, though the exact shape is a bit different. As the others have said, that's just the way Studio shutters are.

SergeiR
24-Nov-2014, 12:46
Explains why i can't find Verito that looks ok.. I thought it always was problem with iris, never thought it would be normal.

djdister
24-Nov-2014, 13:18
I have the same lens, also in Studio shutter, and the iris in mine does the same thing, though the exact shape is a bit different. As the others have said, that's just the way Studio shutters are.

I guess that introduces a mild random effect in the circle of illumination, which most likely is never detected. The iris on my Verito, by contrast, is perfectly circular.

Mark Sawyer
24-Nov-2014, 14:39
I have several lenses in Studio Shutters that have the same sort of odd aperture shapes when closed down a bit. They still render as beautifully as similar lenses in many-bladed barrel mounts, making me wonder whether aperture shape has all that much to do with bokeh...

jp
24-Nov-2014, 14:40
The verito will be used at something closer to wide open by most people, and it should be irrelevant how the iris looks stopped way down.

Oren Grad
24-Nov-2014, 14:49
They still render as beautifully as similar lenses in many-bladed barrel mounts, making me wonder whether aperture shape has all that much to do with bokeh...

It doesn't - just on the shape of OOF specular highlights, which is a different question. But it has become well-established folk wisdom, nonetheless.

Mark Sawyer
24-Nov-2014, 20:57
The verito will be used at something closer to wide open by most people, and it should be irrelevant how the iris looks stopped way down.

It's also a bit funky at f/7, which is a nice place to be at on a Verito. Then again, Veritos are a wonderful lens stopped down too...

Gosh, they're wonderful lenses! :)

Mark Sawyer
24-Nov-2014, 20:59
It doesn't - just on the shape of OOF specular highlights, which is a different question. But it has become well-established folk wisdom, nonetheless.

Specular highlights are part of it too, but only sometimes. But for most things, yep, a little aperture irregularity doesn't matter that I can tell...