PDA

View Full Version : E6 (Color Reversal) Film Developing - 6 bath method

assanto
23-Nov-2014, 12:24
Here is a video on developing E6 film using the 6 bath method in conjunction with a Jobo CPP2 Processor. My hope is to keep E6 film alive by getting people motivated to shoot this photographic medium. Here is a link to the video: http://youtu.be/O13gyhxYWng

Thanks,

Tony

vinny
23-Nov-2014, 12:36
I've recently run out of my kodak e6 kits. Do you have a short version for those of us who can't sit still for 25 min?

assanto
25-Nov-2014, 13:54
Hi Vinny. I am sorry but I don't have a shorter version. However, since you are already familiar with the E6 process, I would watch from minutes 7:34 to 10:34 for information on fujifilm chemicals and how to mix them. That should get you up to speed. Thanks!
Tony

richardman
25-Nov-2014, 14:02
I have been doing E-6 3-bath kit since 2004 but just purchased a HUGE quantity of Kodak 6-bath E-6. Is there some interesting or secret information in the video?

Zndrson
25-Nov-2014, 14:38
I've been using the Arista 3 bath kit and have been very pleased with the results. I'm still new to home processing E6 and have never used the 6 bath approach before. Any big advantages to the 6 bath?

richardman
25-Nov-2014, 14:44
Zndrson, I switched from Arista to Tentenal (both 3 bath) a while ago. The cost is similar but I like the Tentenal better. Supposedly, 6 bath gives more image stability since it has a separate bleach and fix and prebleach. My slides from 10 years ago with 3-bath are still good, but that's only 10 years. The main consideration is of course it's "impossible" to get 6-bath any more.

Daniel Stone
25-Nov-2014, 14:57
Richard,
Not totally "impossible". Some distributors will sell to "small time" customers/individuals, the key is simply to ask :)
Some folks buy from their local labs too, directly.
-Dan

richardman
25-Nov-2014, 15:04
Daniel, I bought a couple gallons of the 6-bath kit from Thomas who sold me the CPP-2. It will take me a year or probably 2 to finish them. I will see how much better I like it :-). I am switching to color negs for my 4x5 photo project (Transformations:Cosplay) but I still have bricks of Provia/Sensia and donated Ektachrome in 135mm format.

Daniel Stone
25-Nov-2014, 15:21
Here is a video on developing E6 film using the 6 bath method in conjunction with a Jobo CPP2 Processor. My hope is to keep E6 film alive by getting people motivated to shoot this photographic medium. Here is a link to the video: http://youtu.be/O13gyhxYWng

Thanks,

Tony

Hey Tony,
Thank you for the instructional video. I'm currently torn between using my favorite local lab, http://www.data-chrome.com/ (DataChrome), and designing my own rotary processor(to use Jobo Tanks, but built with more durable materials/construction to my specs).

My "dream" machine would be an ATL-2500, but finances, space limitations and lack of available repair technicians at an affordable(to me) rate at this time in my life will probably keep that from happening too soon :(... Hence my DIY option to design/construct my own processor using off-the-shelf components.

cheers,
Dan

Tin Can
25-Nov-2014, 16:02
Great video. I watched the whole thing and posted it on a few friends FB pages.

Thank you!

assanto
25-Nov-2014, 21:51
I have been doing E-6 3-bath kit since 2004 but just purchased a HUGE quantity of Kodak 6-bath E-6. Is there some interesting or secret information in the video?

I don't think there is anything secretive about what's in the video but there may be some tips that you may find useful.

assanto
25-Nov-2014, 21:59
I purchased all my chemicals from southpoint.com. The general manager, Sean, is very nice and knowledgeable. This was really the only distributor I could find that sold all the chemicals in reasonable quantities and that were willing to ship via a 3rd party carrier. You'll have chemistry for hundreds of 4x5 and/or rolls of film. This was another reason for producing the video; getting all of the information together took me 1.5 months so I figured there must be others like me who would like to process their own E6.

assanto
25-Nov-2014, 22:01
Hey Dan,
That sounds like a cool project. Maybe video worthy?
I'm glad you liked the video!
Thanks,
Tony

assanto
25-Nov-2014, 22:01
Great video. I watched the whole thing and posted it on a few friends FB pages.

Thank you!

Thanks Randy!

Corran
25-Nov-2014, 23:09
southpoint.com looks like some kind of travel website, and nothing to do with photography. Is that a mistake?

Also, mind sharing the prices you are getting chemicals for? I get the E6 3-Bath Tetenal kit, to make 5 liters, for $100, which lasts me about 6-8 months (divided into two 2.5L batches). I have no issues with 3-bath compared to 6-bath (and don't believe it is significantly "more stable" or anything) but curious what the price would be, and if it'd be any less.

assanto
26-Nov-2014, 09:25
southpoint.com looks like some kind of travel website, and nothing to do with photography. Is that a mistake?
Also, mind sharing the prices you are getting chemicals for? I get the E6 3-Bath Tetenal kit, to make 5 liters, for $100, which lasts me about 6-8 months (divided into two 2.5L batches). I have no issues with 3-bath compared to 6-bath (and don't believe it is significantly "more stable" or anything) but curious what the price would be, and if it'd be any less.

My apologies. The website is southpointphoto.com
The chemicals with freight cost me ~$750. I've attached a pic that shows the quantities and prices. It sounds like a lot of money but you get a huge amount of chemistry.

Thanks.
Tony

assanto
26-Nov-2014, 09:27
I purchased all my chemicals from southpoint.com. The general manager, Sean, is very nice and knowledgeable. This was really the only distributor I could find that sold all the chemicals in reasonable quantities and that were willing to ship via a 3rd party carrier. You'll have chemistry for hundreds of 4x5 and/or rolls of film. This was another reason for producing the video; getting all of the information together took me 1.5 months so I figured there must be others like me who would like to process their own E6.

Sorry, southpointphoto.com not southpoint.com.

Corran
26-Nov-2014, 11:03
Nice. $750 isn't a lot if it lasts for a long, long time, but I'd be worried about the lifespan of the chemicals myself. Proper storage techniques would be paramount. Since $750 equates to roughly 7 years of my 3-bath kit, I think I'll keep with that, but if ever E-6 seems to be on its last legs, I would likely buy in bulk like that and hopefully have enough for a long time. I still have right now hundreds and hundreds of sheets and rolls of E-6 film.

richardman
26-Nov-2014, 13:55
I think that's the kit that I bought off Thomas for $150 (still mostly full). I figure that if I get 2x worth of the Tetenal 5 liter kits out, there I am even. Hopefully the chemical will last longer... He really needs the space back...

assanto
9-Dec-2015, 22:09
Here is a follow up video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwTMUwhoiuw

ashfaque
23-Dec-2015, 03:23
Hi Tony,

I saw your 1st video. Excellent tutorial with lots of useful tips. Thank you very much. :)

I'll be watching the follow-up one soon.

Bests,

Ashfaque

assanto
25-Dec-2015, 20:24
Thanks Ashfaque!
Tony

Alan9940
26-Dec-2015, 10:44
One thing that's always baffled me with E-6 chemistry is: How does one use it up before it expires? Especially in this quantity? Aren't most of the mixed chemicals--color developer, for example--only good for about 6 weeks? I'm pretty sure that's the timeframe mentioned by Tetenal. And, I'm not talking used/re-used chemistry.

StoneNYC
26-Dec-2015, 12:40
One thing that's always baffled me with E-6 chemistry is: How does one use it up before it expires? Especially in this quantity? Aren't most of the mixed chemicals--color developer, for example--only good for about 6 weeks? I'm pretty sure that's the timeframe mentioned by Tetenal. And, I'm not talking used/re-used chemistry.

Well I developed roughly 10 sheets of 8x10 and 10 of 4x5 all C-41 in 1 day and that's well beyond the capacity for a 1L kit (I pushed it on the 4x5's, it shows but they weren't important) so it's pretty easy to go through 5L that's really only 40 sheets which is 2 boxes of 20 sheets. If you're going on an important photo trip that's easily the number of sheets you'll run through. So it isn't that hard to use it all up. E-6 to my recollection has a little less capacity than C-41 so probably 30 sheets of 8x10 is all you would get from a 5L kit? I mean before compensating and reusing the chems, as in one shot vs replenishment.

4x5 you get a lot more of course, but if you're not shooting that much film you probably don't need a 5L kit. But if you can mix and sparse the chemicals into bottles with no air, you'll get more longevity out of them. That's what many people do, split them up into portions. Keeping them from oxygen is the key.

Alan9940
26-Dec-2015, 13:18
Well...Stone...the thing is I don't shoot that much LF color; been a B&W LF photog for nearly 40 years which I've always developed myself--first in trays, then with Expert Drums on a CPP-2. Maybe when I get that Velvia 50 order from you, all that will change! :) Anyway, anticipating that I want to home process this film I'm looking into what kits, etc, are available. But, DIY doesn't make a lot of sense if sending out to a lab is less expensive; oh, and I've seen the cost breakdown in the follow-up video here where the DIY chemicals pretty much paid for itself. Again, though, we're not talking a few sheets of film...

Kind regards,
Alan

StoneNYC
26-Dec-2015, 23:01
Well...Stone...the thing is I don't shoot that much LF color; been a B&W LF photog for nearly 40 years which I've always developed myself--first in trays, then with Expert Drums on a CPP-2. Maybe when I get that Velvia 50 order from you, all that will change! :) Anyway, anticipating that I want to home process this film I'm looking into what kits, etc, are available. But, DIY doesn't make a lot of sense if sending out to a lab is less expensive; oh, and I've seen the cost breakdown in the follow-up video here where the DIY chemicals pretty much paid for itself. Again, though, we're not talking a few sheets of film...

Kind regards,
Alan

I hear you, the secret is patience and good working habits. If I'm not taking some big trip, what I do is just store the film and wait till I have enough, that can easily take 6 months to collect. Just don't freeze it once shot, too much chance of humidity and emulsion cracking, but fridge is ok just seal it well from moisture. Anyway point is, sometimes in low volume, using a lab like Praus makes sense.