PDA

View Full Version : Kodak closing Toronto plant

tim atherton
9-Dec-2004, 15:01
http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/national/2004/12/09/kodak-120904.html

Kodak is closing their Toronto plant - I know in the past they made a number of products here - I think Verichrome Pan was one before it got axed. Apparently Kodak opened the plant in 1913.

I wonder where they are going to make Azo now?

Jeremy Moore
9-Dec-2004, 15:45
Bucks County, Pennsylvania?

Just kidding, but I'm curious, too.

Matthew Hoag
9-Dec-2004, 15:54
Shame. Azo is being made in Brazil, for several months now at least.

Matthew

Michael Kadillak
9-Dec-2004, 18:10
Tim:

A polite recommendation for looking at the full portion of the glass please. The world as we know it in LF is not coming to an end, just a bit of shuffling that is normal and expected for an industry that is being forced financially to structure itself to new business conditions.

Found in the back business section of the most recent Shutterbug -

Page 148 - Three new high enlargers are being introduced including a new 8x10 enlarger from Kienzle that will do color or B&W and accept a variable contrast B&W head, a cold light head and a condensor head.

Page 181 - Freestyle in LA reported record B&W sales especially in the important school market. Kentmere (who coats paper for Luminos and others) just had their best month in their 100 year history. Rollei introduced the Rollei line of film and chemicals.

We will be just fine if we stay positive and continue to do what we do best - get out and make photographs and encourage others to do the same.

Cheers!

Ron Mc
10-Dec-2004, 08:12
Michael:

Thanks for giving some positive information on the decline of film based photography. I know the business is going to change over time, but so often it sounds like the world is coming to an end. I stopped looking at this forum for a period of time because it was becoming too depressing.

Ron

domenico Foschi
10-Dec-2004, 14:10
Mr Kadillak , i still haven't realized if yours is enviable optimism or blind denial.
Time will tell us....

Brian Ellis
10-Dec-2004, 16:56
". . . a bit of shuffling that is normal and expected . . . "

Not many industries have two of the four biggest players (Ilford and Forte) file for the equivalent of bankruptcy, the third sell off one of its major divisions, (Agfa), and the fourth (and largest - Kodak) publicly announce that its future will be in another direction, all in the space of less than a year. And that doesn't even include things of lesser but still important moment like plant closings, sales declines greater than forecast (Kodak), etc. I think film will around in some form or another for quite a while but I sure don't kid myself into thinking that what has happened this year is just a bit of normal shuffling.

Nick_3536
10-Dec-2004, 20:42
The plant closed was making inkjet paper. How does film enter into the story?

Bob._3483
10-Dec-2004, 21:18
"The plant closed was making inkjet paper. How does film enter into the story?"

Or, alternately: " Hey guys, luckily the plant does not actually make any photographic products so it's not such a problem as it first appeared".

Why does everyone have to be so bl**dy aggressive these days? Chill doods (or whatever the latest jargon is...).

tim atherton
10-Dec-2004, 21:22
Microfilm and inkjet paper I see was all that was left. Up until recently however it has made everything from film to various papers to azo ( which I had forgotten had been moved to Brazil). Like the Azo, apparently much of the other production has been moved/consolidated. Some to it production facilities in Brazil - which Kodak considered (along with China, India and other areas) as it's new boom emerging markets. However, some have turned out not to be. Brazil, for example, as well as Taiwan and Hong Kong have not turned out to be the boon they expected over the last year apparently with a decrease in sales figures rather than the increase they were expecting as I understand it