PDA

View Full Version : Half of a Durst Componon 240...the front half

Kimberly Anderson
12-Nov-2014, 17:51
So I purchased a Durst branded Componon 240 enlarging lens for use on the L184. When it arrived it was *missing* the entire rear element and also the silver knurled aperture ring. It came with the rear mounting cone, the front element and the aperture mechanism, but with no way to turn the aperture.

I am attempting to reconcile with the seller, but in the meanwhile I am very curious just what the H E double-hockeysticks I can do with this thing. The aperture mechanism comes off of the rear cone, FYI...

The front half of the lens doesn't look bad at all. The rear half of the lens is not present. Sigh.

Lesson: If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. The price was $55.

EDIT: I just mounted it on the L185 and although I *can* focus an image it's not tack sharp. I wouldn't consider using this for printing 'as-is' unless I was going for some funky pictorialist soft-focus stuff...

ic-racer
13-Nov-2014, 07:53
I wound up buying two 240mm Componon-S lenses to make one good one. You might have to do the same. I swapped the glass and Durst Mounting Flange to make one good lens that would fit on my Tripla. I sold the other on ebay.

Bob Salomon
13-Nov-2014, 07:59
Had the seller posted a picture of what you purchased prior to your buying it that showed what was there and what wasn't?

Kimberly Anderson
13-Nov-2014, 08:00
The seller posted a picture of the lens resting on it's cone. From that angle it would be impossible to see the back half. Silly me, I didn't ask to see the rear element or the aperture ring.

Luis-F-S
14-Nov-2014, 13:45
Michael, I purchased a 240 Rodagon off the auction site last year for $90.00 so they are available reasonably. I then had Grimes make custom Lapla to fit my 5x7 Durst for about twice what I paid for the lens. Go figure. L

Kimberly Anderson
21-Nov-2014, 15:35
The seller apologized and gave me a full refund, which was very nice of him to do so with really no issues whatsoever. He also told me not to return the item that I sent him, so there's that.

Now...there appears to be another 240 for sale with a bad front element for sale. Hopefully I can snag it tonight and put the one I currently own and the one I wish to buy together and make one good 240. The nice thing about the 240 thats up right now is that it has a rear cone on the much needed Durst lensboard.

I know no one here would snake this out from under me now would they? ;)