PDA

View Full Version : Site Running Slowly?

Ari
6-Nov-2014, 06:53
Has anyone else been experiencing very slow loading times since yesterday, or is it just me?
At night, things were faster, but this morning it took me over 60 seconds just to get to this page.
Maybe we're due for another blackout.

Greg Miller
6-Nov-2014, 06:57
Yes, slow here too.

Jmarmck
6-Nov-2014, 07:00
Snail's pace.....if at all. But this is not the only site either.

IanG
6-Nov-2014, 07:08
It's falling over, again unfortunately.

Ian

Ralph Barker
6-Nov-2014, 07:15
I believe the sluggishness of the system may be due to the system backup now extending into the early morning hours due to the size of the database.

ImSoNegative
6-Nov-2014, 07:33
I thought it was my computer

Will Frostmill
6-Nov-2014, 07:48
I believe the sluggishness of the system may be due to the system backup now extending into the early morning hours due to the size of the database.
That makes sense. When do you run your backups? I'll stay off the site at those times.

Jim Noel
6-Nov-2014, 08:09
It lasted all day for me so I don't think it was just the backup.

IanG
6-Nov-2014, 08:51

Ian

Ari
7-Nov-2014, 06:48
Seems much better today; thanks for feeding the hamsters, Ralph!

Peter Lewin
21-Nov-2014, 11:33
I'm not sure whether this should be a separate thread, but the fact that the site was down again this morning (it's been happening relatively frequently recently) made me wonder whether we could address the issue of funding and perhaps moving to a more robust server? As I understand it, we are "free" thanks to the generosity of the site's original founder. Perhaps a voluntary membership fee (similar to APUG) would allow us to effectively buy greater reliability, or am I way off-base?

Ari
21-Nov-2014, 13:42
I'd be in favour of such an initiative, and I'd be happy to donate something in order to ensure less server trouble.
I'd also be happy if this were kept strictly voluntary, I wouldn't want to discourage membership or participation.

djdister
21-Nov-2014, 13:45
I'd be in favor of that approach too, but would not want to see/deal with the same kind of ads and nags about sending money.

hoffner
21-Nov-2014, 14:06

Ian

+ 1.

AtlantaTerry
21-Nov-2014, 14:15

OK, so why not purge the database? You could start with the For Sale section. After something is sold allow the seller to delete the thread. Then if it is not deleted, automagically dump it after six months or a year.

Darin Boville
21-Nov-2014, 14:19
OK, so why not purge the database? You could start with the For Sale section. After something is sold allow the seller to delete the thread. Then if it is not deleted, automagically dump it after six months or a year.

Terrible idea (no offense!). The sales there are highly valuable for people looking to buy their first camera--gives them a clear idea of prices and what is available--and is also invaluable in pricing things for sale. You can see what it sold for before.

I'm also happy to offer $$$ to help if needed.

--Darin

Jmarmck
21-Nov-2014, 16:28
I'd be in favour of such an initiative, and I'd be happy to donate something in order to ensure less server trouble.
I'd also be happy if this were kept strictly voluntary, I wouldn't want to discourage membership or participation.

+1

Preston
21-Nov-2014, 16:49
I might be into this, as well. I do think that what we'd need to know the cost and then ascertain if a sufficient amount of donations could be gathered to cover it.

(The site was down earlier today for me, too.)

--P

Sal Santamaura
21-Nov-2014, 17:12
In my opinion, everyone perturbed by occasional outages, both those posting here and in a similar thread at APUG, really should make donations. To a cheese fund. So they'll have something to go with their whine.

Give it up folks. The absolute best part of this site is its non-commercial nature. At those times when you can't access it, get a life. Use your large format cameras to make some exposures.

Old-N-Feeble
21-Nov-2014, 17:20
No one is whining. We're just trying to offer ways to make things better and we're willing to put our money where our mouths are.

hoffner
21-Nov-2014, 17:28
First of all we need to know the exact reason of the problems with the site. "I believe it may be due to" is not enough reason to move the site elsewhere. Imagine, you do that and the problems come back. Then what?

Ari
21-Nov-2014, 17:40
I don't want to see ads, I just want to help, if possible, maintain the site at an optimal level.
If a little extra money would ensure trouble-free use, I am more than happy to contribute; this forum has given us all a lot.

Ralph Barker
21-Nov-2014, 17:53
As has been mentioned before, the forum has operated for years on server space and bandwidth that is donated to us. Although the occasional sluggish response, or lack of access due to system-level processes can be frustrating, real improvement over what we have now would be expensive. We would have to move to one of the service centers that offer redundant servers in a fail-safe environment manned by savvy system administrators 24/7. Those services are designed for commercial use, and would likely cost $5,000 to $10,000 per month. Realistically, that sort of budget would require a predictably stable income flow associated with a fully-commercialized operation - some combination of paid memberships for everyone and lots of advertising. That, in turn, would pretty much destroy the current nature of the forum.

Winger
21-Nov-2014, 18:26
There are some servers capable of running this site under cpanel which aren't in that price range. I'll see if I can find the ones suggested to me when I was having problems with the forum I run that's on vBulletin. There are also different ways to do the backups, I think. How it's done might affect downtime of the rest of the site. Or just tell people ahead of time when it's going to be done and suggest we all get out and shoot instead of sitting on our butts at the computer.

Sal Santamaura
21-Nov-2014, 21:36
First of all we need to know the exact reason of the problems with the site...You, like the rest of us, are here solely due to the generosity of this site's owner/benefactor/operators. Neither you nor any of us need to know anything more about the site than that. You might want to know, but tough luck.

...would require a predictably stable income flow associated with a fully-commercialized operation - some combination of paid memberships for everyone and lots of advertising. That, in turn, would pretty much destroy the current nature of the forum.Which is why everyone should be eternally grateful for the way things are now and stop whining about occasional outages. Again, the most valuable aspect of this forum is its non-commercial nature.

...There are also different ways to do the backups, I think. How it's done might affect downtime of the rest of the site. Or just tell people ahead of time when it's going to be done and suggest we all get out and shoot instead of sitting on our butts at the computer.That's the best post I've seen on this subject. Volunteerism has always been the essence of our community/forum. Plus, you've reinforced the idea that large format photography defines what we do, not Internet chatter about large format photography. Thanks Bethe!

angusparker
21-Nov-2014, 21:41
I don't want to see ads, I just want to help, if possible, maintain the site at an optimal level.
If a little extra money would ensure trouble-free use, I am more than happy to contribute; this forum has given us all a lot.

+1

jp
22-Nov-2014, 08:59
I am in the Internet business, and to a certain extent if things can be run reliably it will reduce labor, volunteer labor in this case. Much gratitude. I appreciate it being noncommercial as well. Probably more than a few people here in the same line of business as I would gladly advise or assist in solutions if any are needed.

Fred L
22-Nov-2014, 15:40
fwiw, this site has a 'list/tree view' in Safari but looks fine and normal on Firefox. Not sure why..

Winger
22-Nov-2014, 18:17
fwiw, this site has a 'list/tree view' in Safari but looks fine and normal on Firefox. Not sure why..

I'm on Safari and it's fine now. Every once in a while, I have a site start to load that way then switch to normal after I click something. I've usually figured it was our lame web service.

Andrew Plume
23-Nov-2014, 02:36
problems here or problems not................

it matter's not imo, there's no tearing rush to sort out problems, we should all sing from the same sheet and be permanently grateful that there's this wonderful site

and I'm totally with Sal

regards

andrew

Tom Westbrook
23-Nov-2014, 11:09
The slowness issues lately have all been due to denial of service attacks against the web server from unknown sources. I'll have some time late next week to work on some server updates to help lower the impact of those when they occur. Until then we'll have to keep fixing those as we have been doing. Eventually, whichever childish twerp is behind them will get bored and move on to someone else.

Peter Lewin
27-Nov-2014, 05:42
Is there any connection between the denial of service attacks and the occasional new forum "member" who joins with a "hello" (basically one word, and no information about their photo interests, etc.) and seems to have no purpose being here? I've always wondered why anyone would join the LFPF forum just for the sake of joining something in which they have no interest, unless they gained something from having access to the site. There seem to be two of these who "tacked on" to LF_NLD's legitimate "Introduction" thread just now. Related to that, some sites have an action which allows members to flag posts for the moderator's attention if something seems "off" or the post is particularly offensive. If we don't have one (I haven't found it) it might be a useful feature.

Ralph Barker
27-Nov-2014, 07:18
. . . some sites have an action which allows members to flag posts for the moderator's attention if something seems "off" or the post is particularly offensive. If we don't have one (I haven't found it) it might be a useful feature.

There is a small triangle at the lower left of every post that can be used to report suspicious or objectionable posts to the moderators.

Harley Goldman
29-Nov-2014, 08:02
I am not sure what it is, but the LF site often slows down Firefox to the point it is pretty much locked up. It is the only site I visit that does it to my machine. I have a Mac Pro. Until recently, I was running Snow Leopard and now am running Yosemite. It happened with both. It happened this morning. It seems to run better under Safari. Very strange.

Ralph Barker
30-Nov-2014, 09:14
I am not sure what it is, but the LF site often slows down Firefox to the point it is pretty much locked up. It is the only site I visit that does it to my machine. I have a Mac Pro. Until recently, I was running Snow Leopard and now am running Yosemite. It happened with both. It happened this morning. It seems to run better under Safari. Very strange.

That's a tough question, Harley. I haven't seen that behavior running Firefox on Windows. It may be a combination of things, including the configuration of your Mac, how much memory it has, and how that is configured, along with how Firefox runs. Firefox seems to keep a lot of previously-viewed pages in cache, which can use up a lot of memory. You might try closing Firefox, waiting a minute, or so, and restarting it to clear its memory usage and cache to see if that improves things.

Racer X 69
4-Dec-2014, 12:43

Have you cleared the browser cache lately?