PDA

View Full Version : Hey Texans... I'm Looking For An Expert Printer

Scott Rosenberg
6-Dec-2004, 18:41
good day...

i'm located in dallas, texas and am trying to locate an expert print maker. i need to have this print (http://www.srosenberg.com/Website5/nymph.html) made.

i made one exposure for the subject and another for the sky. i can put them together pretty easily for the web, but need to find a printer capable of doing this well in the darkroom. the original was shot on 4x5 neopan across.

i'd definately be willing to drive a bit if the best option was outside the metroplex.

thanks!
scott

Rich Long
6-Dec-2004, 19:43
Sorry, Scott, I can't help with a local printer. I did vote for that image over on the other forum, though. Very, very, nice work!

Scott Rosenberg
6-Dec-2004, 20:09
hi rich... thanks for the compliments. i've comitted to getting this thing printed for a customer of mine and really wanted to go the traditional darkroom route. if i have to go digital and do the masking myself, that'll be no problem, but i figured someone on this forum might be able to help me out.

we'll see...

Rich Long
6-Dec-2004, 20:11
You might also ask over on the APUG group. Or maybe you have - I haven't been there for a day or two.

Scott Rosenberg
6-Dec-2004, 20:15
forgive my ignorance, but what is apug?

can those little, wrinkly dogs really use computers?

Rich Long
6-Dec-2004, 20:21
Analog Photography Users Group (http://www.apug.org/forums/home.php)

Gem Singer
6-Dec-2004, 20:29
Scott, did you receive my e-mail?

Larry Smith
6-Dec-2004, 20:54
Scott have you tried BWC photo imaging at 4930 maple ave. in Dallas? I have all my large and medium format work done there and have been happy with the results

Scott Rosenberg
7-Dec-2004, 03:32
thanks for the link, rich. i'll be sure to check the apug site too.

eugene-
i was wondering where you were! nope, i didn't get an email from you. please forward it again - sometimes the spam filters remove 'friendlies' too.

larry-
i've had some work done by bwc in the past. it seems like they always find new ways to disappoint me. they are actually making a few lightjet prints for me as we speak. as long as i do all the preflight work, it's tough for them to let down. i might bring the negs in with me, i usually goto the north location, and talk to them about their printers.

when i first moved out here i found a print maker down near competetive camera who did a FANTASTIC job with a couple of tough negs. unfortunately, i can't seem to locate him now!

lee\c
7-Dec-2004, 05:52
I live in Ft Worth and can handle up to 5x7. My email address is click76112 and might be interested in giving it a shot.

lee carmichael

Gem Singer
7-Dec-2004, 07:30
Scott, my E-mail is not going through to you. Please E-mail me again with your proper address, so that I can respond and give you my phone number. You are a local phone call away from me. Much easier to communicate by voice.

Jorge Gasteazoro
7-Dec-2004, 10:48
I spent some time with Lee and I can atest to his printing abilities, he is an excellent printer and an all around nice guy, even if he does not listen when I tell him where to park... :)

Send him your negatives, you wont be dissapointed.

Kirk Keyes
7-Dec-2004, 11:21
Scott, what about having a high res scan of the images made and then combining them and then outputing them back on to a piece of film. A digital duplicate. I've never done this for B&W, but I think it is done all the time for color. And then use the new neg (which may have to be made on transparency film) to make the print from.

Kirk - www.keyesphoto.com

Donald Miller
7-Dec-2004, 15:12
In order to do this you need someone who has the capability to do sharp masking. I don't live in Dallas but could certainly print this if you can't find someone else who has the capability.

Scott Rosenberg
7-Dec-2004, 19:13
thanks for all the great suggestions fellas. you've all really given me some things to think about. i appreciate all the feedback.

Donald Miller
7-Dec-2004, 22:56
Scott, I received your email. Unfortunately, my email service is goofy and I can not reply this evening. You may phone me at 316-838-8854 between 8-11:00Am and 1:30-6:00Pm. We can discuss this better by telephone.

Bob Moore
9-Dec-2004, 18:35
Try the following:

http://e.neilsen.home.att.net/index.htm#Eric%20Neilsen (http://e.neilsen.home.att.net/index.htm#Eric%20Neilsen)

Regards,

Bob Moore