PDA

View Full Version : How fit a 8x10 springback to old mahogany Reisekamera

Cheffalo
29-Oct-2014, 09:52
I think it's all in the headline. My Reisekamera https://www.flickr.com/photos/cheffalo/12158982806/in/set-72157627148282242 has a detachable wooden cassette holder so I was thinking I would like to fit a borrowed 8x10 springback to use my stock of 18x24 film in also borrowed 18x24 film holders. I really want to use that 100 year old Tessar Fliegertruppe that came with it!

Is there a standard solution to this that anyone can direct me to or do I just try to make a wooden frame and carve until everything fits?

Happy for any input on this!

IanG
29-Oct-2014, 10:07
You'd need to modify a 10x8 spring back to make it fit, you can't do that to something you've borrowed. I have a similar problem with my Reisekamera and will make a new 10x8 back once I finish my house (moved earlier this year).

Alternately find some wooden plate holders that fit and use a card adapter to shoot film.

Ian

Cheffalo
29-Oct-2014, 10:12
Perhaps I would be able to buy the back. Then what would be the procedure? I'm thinking mounting a wooden frame to the back in order to make it fit where the cassette holder sits now?

Kirk Gittings
29-Oct-2014, 10:17
see "Mystery Frankenstein Camera......help my friend!" thread :)

Tin Can
29-Oct-2014, 10:21
I use an 8X10 magnesium Calumet C1 back on several old cameras (boxes). It is sturdy and fastens with 2 bolts. I usually install 2 Tee Nuts into new wood and simply bolt and unbolt my back as I need it for several cameras. Since the same mounting is used for C1 reducing backs, I can use 4x5 and 5x7 film holders also.

The modifications necessary are very minimal if planned well. A flat adapter board is usually made from good plywood.

I am doing the same to a Century Tailboard, purchased here, next week.

It fits to the 'T', meaning the GG is precisely indexed in a modern metal back.

Steven Tribe
29-Oct-2014, 13:44
The "Standard Solution" is to buy or loan proper book double plate holders (and 18x24 sheaths) from someone who has been fortunate to collect a lot of these in connection with purchases of similar 18x24cm Reisekameras.

Someone like me, for instance.

I don't think that "back conversion" is a very good idea - only if you are thinking of taking 100's of exposures every month.

Tin Can
29-Oct-2014, 15:32
I have seen some vintage heavy duty modifications to nice cameras.

I always prefer pure stock anything, but if one wants to use an object sometimes expediency rises to the front.

I know Steven has a solution better than mine.

One of my favorite old movies is, 'Flight of the Phoenix' 1965.

Cheffalo
30-Oct-2014, 01:45
Thank you all! If you have a picture, or two, of your solutions I wouldn't mind if you showed me here. We'll see how I solve this. If I succeed I will use the two boxes of 18x24 Fomapan film I have, and surely get more..

IanG
30-Oct-2014, 08:11
You have the advantage of being in a part of Europe where 18x24 cameras were common and having film, they are uncommon in the UK. I'd PM Steven or look on Ebay for 18x24 plate holders, there's one at the moment on the German portal.

Personally I won't modify my 18x24 camera, I'll keep the existing back and make a new one, in my case 10x8 film is easier to find and if Ilford re-introduce their direct positive paper the camera will get used regularly. Meanwhile once I've restored the camera I will also get hold of 18x24 plate holders.

Ian

LF_rookie_to_be
30-Oct-2014, 14:13
Ian, does the springback on this camera (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?117570-Unknown-8x10-camera&p=1183979#post1183979) looks familiar to you? It seems to be mostly metal or all-metal (apart from the ground glass, of course), but whether it was added to the frame as a DIY job puzzles me.

Steven Tribe
30-Oct-2014, 17:23
There is no absolute standard for 18x24 holders but 3 major types that I know of.

- 2 full thin slots which fit into (somewhat ugly) brass strips on the back.
- Brass corner strips which fit into concealed corner slots.
- Wide center groves at corners on the film holder which fit into wood ridges in the back.

Type 1 holders are never the book type (mostly French cameras - or made for the French market).

Most of the other types are Book holders.

The design of all types is such that - within the type - it is quite realistic to modify the holders' width to fit the back.

IanG
31-Oct-2014, 02:47
Ian, does the springback on this camera (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?117570-Unknown-8x10-camera&p=1183979#post1183979) looks familiar to you? It seems to be mostly metal or all-metal (apart from the ground glass, of course), but whether it was added to the frame as a DIY job puzzles me.

Looks like it's the original camera back to me. I had a De Vere monorail, Whole plate, Half plate, 5x4, with similar backs although a touch more utilitarian (plain).

Ian

LF_rookie_to_be
31-Oct-2014, 10:06
Looks like it's the original camera back to me. I had a De Vere monorail, Whole plate, Half plate, 5x4, with similar backs although a touch more utilitarian (plain).

Have you ever come across or heard of a dual-rail, non-folding, non-field 8x10" camera that accepts modern plastic 8x10" holders?

Thanks,
Marin

IanG
1-Nov-2014, 01:11
Have you ever come across or heard of a dual-rail, non-folding, non-field 8x10" camera that accepts modern plastic 8x10" holders?

Thanks,
Marin

I've replied in your Unknown 10x8 camera thread.

Ian

Cheffalo
2-Nov-2014, 11:23
Ian, I have two plate holders for this camera but they're in pretty bad shape. So I would need new ones and film inserts for them. I'd rather start with trying to fit the Sinar springback on and see where it leads.

Steven Tribe
3-Nov-2014, 01:46
Plate holders do not have to remain in bad shape (this is a DIY thread!)!

See attached for repair job on a 15x12" holder.

IanG
3-Nov-2014, 04:05
Like Steven I've repaired/restored plate holders that at first appearance seemed in extremely bad shape. In fact they are usually relative easy to restore. With book form holders a stiff piece of card may be enough instead of a meta film sheath.

Ian, I have two plate holders for this camera but they're in pretty bad shape. So I would need new ones and film inserts for them. I'd rather start with trying to fit the Sinar springback on and see where it leads.

My experience is that a 10"x8" back is slightly larger than an 18x24cm back (well it is with my cameras) so it's not a simple job to fit one without some modification. It would be relatively simple to make a new 10x8 back, if you could use the focus frame from another back (i.e. the Sinar) then that would help enormously.

I'm reluctant to hack good parts to make them fit, I'd get those holders fixed and keep everything as it is.

Ian

Steven Tribe
3-Nov-2014, 07:54
Yes, the design of book 18x24cm mahogany plate holders excludes conversation up to 8x10".

However, an elegant cpnversation would be to full plate size. I have a few plate holders for full plate which fit Reisekameras.

Cheffalo
4-Nov-2014, 05:23
So true, Steven. But there is the lack of time, the dream of using eight modern film cassettes instead of two glass plate holders at a time, etc, that makes me want to try it out. The 8x10 (18x24) springback I have here is actually a bit smaller than the original wooden cassette holder on the camera so I believe I will be able to construct a wooden adapter to attach the springback and snap it on the back of the camera. It will be sometime in the future but I promise I'll show you some results when it's done!

Thanks for all the valuable input, guys!