PDA

View Full Version : Print Exchange Rules

Andrew O'Neill
3-Dec-2004, 22:53
I am posting the rules here as one participant's email kept bouncing back to me.

Hi everyone!

First of all, I'd like to thank all of you for participating. I'm really looking forward to this. There are fifteen members (myself included).

Participants:

John McLaine

Ole Tjugen

Philippe Gauthier

Edward Kimball

John Gerndt

Shilesh Jani

Daniel Schmidt

Deniz Merdanogullari

Kirk Keyes

Jim Rhoades

Donald Hutton (Donald, your email wouldn't go through)

Darin Cozine

David Goldfarb

Scott Whitford

Andy O'Neill (yours truly)

I will need for all of you to forward me your mailing addresses. I will then forward to all participants.

Print Exchange Rules:

Prints from LF negatives (4x5, 5x7, 8x10)
Send one 8x10 print, unmounted to all participants.
Print can be fibre or RC (preferably fibre, eh!)
Alternative prints on whatever paper(sorry, I don't know anything about alternative but really really want to see examples!)
Colour or B/W prints
Digital neg printed on gelatin silver fibre or RC is okay.
Digital output is okay but must be of high quality on best paper available. (sorry, I know nothing about digital). Image must have started from LF negative.

Along with each print, include the story which led up to the exposure of the negative. Talk about camera movements, etc. Include film used, format, developer and development. Most importantly, tell us how you made the print. Paper used, post work, etc.

Upon receiving prints from participants, please email them a mini-critique and a big thank you!

Now for many, this time of year is a busy time. I would like to set the mailing deadline for January 31, 2005. Please send out all prints by no later than this date.

These rules are not written in stone. Please email me if something is strange or if we should change/add something.

Get those mailing addresses in to me and happy printing!

Cheers, eh!

Andy O'Neill

David A. Goldfarb
4-Dec-2004, 06:56
I presume contact prints smaller than 8x10" are also acceptable.

John D Gerndt
4-Dec-2004, 07:43
I am happy this is going to happen. I like the criteria and that I will see some first rate work from those who have helped me in so many ways. I have an idea to keep mailing costs down though. If you, Andy, will act as a clearing house then we will all only have to ship one article, a pack of 15 identical prints. We send along with the prints cash or return postage with a kick-in of a few bucks (5?) for packaging and handling the 15 return prints. Everybodly wins.

For the record, I don't mind recieving different size contact prints so that participants can save paper. I know that alternative process paper can be very expensive. I will be sending out mine at 8x10 though no matter what size negative I select. I am fortunate enough now (read: old) to be able to afford the 15 sheets.

Cheers to all,

Andrew O'Neill
4-Dec-2004, 10:42
Actually John, that's not a bad idea. I'll email the "group" about it. So long as everyone puts in a bit of money. Maybe a cheque would be safer. I'll get back to you on this one. It does look like it will save money for everyone.

Cheers to you too,

Andy

Jim Rhoades
4-Dec-2004, 12:54
It's a good idea as it would save a bunch in postage. Since I have so many of my "Boots" prints left over from the last exchange I'll send those out. David and John already have one so I'll also send them something different under seperate cover.

Andy, my darkroom is now apart, waiting for a new floor. When it's back together I'll send a Pd/Pt "Boots" to you for comparison. A bit after Christmas I guess. I'm with John, I hope this one works out.

Ole Tjugen
4-Dec-2004, 15:48
It's an especially good idea for me, since I'm on the other side of the Atlantic from most of the other participants!

John McLaine
5-Dec-2004, 16:42
The same applies to this antipodean participant Ole.

Andy, I don't have a $US cheque book, but could send my contribution via Western Union or Paypal, etc. I'm happy to add a few extra bucks to cover the cost of sending my parcel down under.