PDA

View Full Version : Leveling Bases - Anyone using these instead of a head?

Corran
15-Oct-2014, 14:13
Just curious if anyone is using a leveling base or column instead of a head. I (finally!) bought a carbon fiber tripod that is really light and should hold most of my cameras just fine, but the more I look at it, it seems like a big heavy 3-way head (or heaven forbid a ball head) makes little to no sense - because I don't need much adjustment, especially with a LF camera that can switch easily between h/v.

Most of these leveling bases have about 10-15 degrees of adjustment in any direction. I suppose that could be limiting if you wanted to get more angle than that, but a bit of finagling with the tripod legs should give you +/- 20-25 degrees at least. Needing more than that is uncommon, for me at least, and of course I wouldn't get rid of my 3-way heads anyway, for certain things.

Opinions? From my calculations the tripod + leveling base + a panoramic clamp thingy I found for 360 degree adjustment laterally will weigh in at about 3-4 pounds, and from the specs easily support about 20 pounds - way overkill for a 4x5 Chamonix and typical field lens, or even some of my heavier cameras.

Here is a link to some leveling bases at B&H. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Linhof&Ns=p_PRICE_2%7c1&ci=10832&N=4075788748+4291623875+4291456904+4115872516+4291310581+4157593550+4291178451+4167619192+4291128111+4289361368+4291364092) I've been looking at the Acratech for its light-weight build.

Ari
15-Oct-2014, 14:27
One thing to watch out for when using view cameras with levelling heads is that the large camera often obscures the bubble level, rendering the levelling head a slightly less useful.
While a levelling head would be impractical for some architecture shots and such, it could very well replace a 3-way head for many other situations.

Corran
15-Oct-2014, 14:47
I thought about that, looking at the photos, but then I don't ever use an on-tripod level since the cameras mostly have levels built in. Though my Chamonix doesn't agree with itself between the two side levels.... But I don't find bulls-eye style bubble levels much help anyway.

Alan Gales
15-Oct-2014, 14:54
Bryan, I know some on here have mentioned that they enjoy using Berlebach tripods with built in leveling balls and not using heads. I got lucky and picked up a used Berlebach for dirt cheap and tried it with a 4x5 Tachihara. It was fine, I guess? :) I prefer pan/tilt heads and ended up buying a Ries with double tilt head and of course put up with the added weight.

Kimberly Anderson
15-Oct-2014, 15:01
I love using the leveling heads. Points made above need to be thought about, but I level the head before I mount the camera, so I'm able to avoid that. I've used the Gitzo, Berlebach and now have an O'Connor cine tripod that I use the 12x20 on. I especially like using the leveling heads for making multiple panorama images.

Corran
15-Oct-2014, 15:53
I was looking at the Gitzo leveling tripod (I didn't realize Berlebach made one too) but I went with another tripod, for both cost and weight savings. Probably won't be quite as rigid/sturdy as the Gitzo. But I'm trying to make a really light-weight rig first and foremost right now. A behemoth tripod is something I don't need right now, though probably will in the future for some ULF stuff that I'm assembling. Can't have too many tripods anyway, right?!

Doug Howk
15-Oct-2014, 17:20
Tried one (I believe it was an Acratech); but could not tighten it enough when extending the bellows/lens. Its similar to a ball head which I dislike for fine tuning a composition.

Corran
15-Oct-2014, 17:24
Interesting, and not a good sign. Why exactly wouldn't it tighten down?

Doug Howk
15-Oct-2014, 17:46
There's only one tightening screw for all directions. Had tried it with a couple of cameras. With the KMV and a 19" lens, the extension pressure/weight was too great so it tilted. With a 7X17 camera and short lens, it was OK for relatively level horizontal landscape views.
I have Majestic heads for 3 tripods used with LF cameras, and a ball head/tripod for MF. The Majestics are bulky but reliable.

Corran
15-Oct-2014, 18:27
Ah, I can see how an 8x10 and big / long lens would be too much for it. For 4x5 field work, do you think it'd be a problem?

Richard Johnson
15-Oct-2014, 19:59
I like leveling heads unless I want to shoot down or up.

Drew Bedo
16-Oct-2014, 08:10
I am using a Berlibach tripod with a leveling center post for my 8x10. The flexability iit offers s sufficient for most things I do with it. It saves about 3 pounds of weight for the ball head I have .

DrTang
16-Oct-2014, 08:56
One thing to watch out for when using view cameras with levelling heads is that the large camera often obscures the bubble level, rendering the levelling head a slightly less useful.
While a levelling head would be impractical for some architecture shots and such, it could very well replace a 3-way head for many other situations.

and the tightening lever

lfpf
16-Oct-2014, 18:43
Unmeasured film plane and lens are not always square with the leveled tripod head. Regardless of tripod head orientation, the goal is film plane and lens tilt (0 degrees or otherwise), so measure ground glass and lens with, for example, a Brunton Pocket Transit or handy level.

mdarnton
16-Oct-2014, 19:01
I don't know what one weights separately, but I just bought an Agfa-Ansco tripod to go with my A-A camera, and it came with one of those hinged wooden sandwich heads--like this (http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzIwWDcyMA==/z/k8kAAOSwKu9Txauo/$_35.JPG).

I'm totally smitten, wondering if I can cobble one up for my Bogen now. It is so fast and easy, and does everything I need to do, with no fuss.

Ken Lee
17-Oct-2014, 07:19
You might find it helpful to use a leveling head beneath a normal tripod head.

See this brief discussion (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/index.php#LevelingHead).

djdister
17-Oct-2014, 07:32
You might find it helpful to use a leveling head beneath a normal tripod head.

See this brief discussion (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/index.php#LevelingHead).

That's a great little article Ken, and I was able to pick up one of the Manfrotto leveling heads for not much money. It's a handy device!

Jac@stafford.net
17-Oct-2014, 10:38
No mention of the Ries A250-2 head? I find it is all I ever need.

Corran
17-Oct-2014, 13:30
Ken, thanks for the link, but I'm thinking about using one without a head. I have no reason personally to use a leveling base with my typical 3-way head. I can certainly see the appeal though if I were to be doing panning shots / stitching with 4x5.

Jac, that Ries head looks really nice, but it's about 1.5 pounds heavier than my entire (aluminum) tripod right now! I'm going for an ultra-light-weight setup here. My new tripod legs (CF) are less than 2 pounds. Haven't gotten them in the mail yet though so I have no comment on its stability yet.

Doug Howk
18-Oct-2014, 03:19
One of the shortcomings of the Acratech base is the need for some type of quick release interface. Otherwise, for mounting you're having to spin the camera onto the base.
Also, for cameras such as 4X5 and larger, the camera base would very likely cover up the bubble level.
It's rated for 25 lbs, but seems more suited for smaller cameras (or use with an additional head).

Christopher Barrett
18-Oct-2014, 06:13
I love using the leveling heads. Points made above need to be thought about, but I level the head before I mount the camera, so I'm able to avoid that. I've used the Gitzo, Berlebach and now have an O'Connor cine tripod that I use the 12x20 on. I especially like using the leveling heads for making multiple panorama images.

Michael, I have a set of 25L sticks I use for my Red. I thought they might work well with the new 4x10. The cine legs seem to have more stability than my gitzo. You're liking that setup?