PDA

View Full Version : Help needed to identify enlarger masks

swmcl
11-Oct-2014, 14:02
Hi,

I have come across a bunch of masks and I don't know what they are from. They are 5x7 inches in size pretty much and I have several pairs suited to various film sizes. They are made of a steel with one of the pair having the holes and the other one having the spigot. A couple are marked with a size. The one in the photo is 6.5 x 9. The spigots are in my opinion rather large and close to the edge of the film cut-out area so I'm ruling out Durst but I could be wrong I'm sure.

Any ideas ??

Cheers,

Steve

Jim Jones
11-Oct-2014, 19:08
If the outside dimensions are 5x7, they could be used in a 5x7 Elwood for smaller formats.

Larry Gebhardt
11-Oct-2014, 19:36
Look like Durst Nega138 inserts.

swmcl
11-Oct-2014, 20:05
The reason I didn't think Durst was that there is lettering on only two of the 6 or 7 masks and that the spigots are huge and clumsy. Don't Durst mark everything with a weird name ? The font doesn't seem all that professional either.

The Nega138 has a recess that is too large for these masks I think.

Cheers,

William Whitaker
11-Oct-2014, 20:15
Those are the masking plates from the 5x7 carrier that preceeded the Nega138. I had one with my old Durst 3S 5x7 enlarger, but both have been sold long ago. All my Durst literature is packed away, too, so I can't provide conclusive documentation. But that carrier was a glassless carrier which used inserts as shown for a multitude of smaller formats down to 35mm.

swmcl
11-Oct-2014, 20:38
Thanks Will.

I reckon you may be right because it certainly doesn't fit the Nega138 carrier.

I do have some weird sizing too - like 6.5 x 9 and I think 4.5 x 6 ? Anyways, the answer is they are pretty much useless.

Cheers,