PDA

View Full Version : Super Chromega Dichroic D Light Mode Selector

tjc51
4-Oct-2014, 17:53
Hello,
I recently picked up a Super Omega Dichroic enlarger (D5 XL chassis). When I checked it over before buying I thought the light mode selector lever worked , but when I got it home and checked everything over again it doesn't work. I dialed in some filtration and flipped the lever , but the filtration assembly does not move . Also , when set to the white light setting there is no difference in light . I got this for a good price . Any ideas on what could be the problem ? thanks--tom

Jim Rice
4-Oct-2014, 20:09
If the lever moves freely with no detents, the brass shaft that the lever is attached to could have snapped. The current parts manual from KHB doesn't show it. Used heads can be found pretty cheaply and aren't the shipping nightmare that the rest of a D5 is.

tjc51
5-Oct-2014, 05:44
Thanks for the reply Jim . I looked inside at the filtration assembly as I turn the light mode lever and there is a shaft I see turning , but that's all . Also , I found a round metal flat screen looking object - don't know what it goes to or if its important .

Doremus Scudder
6-Oct-2014, 03:02
Thanks for the reply Jim . I looked inside at the filtration assembly as I turn the light mode lever and there is a shaft I see turning , but that's all . Also , I found a round metal flat screen looking object - don't know what it goes to or if its important .

The "round metal flat screen looking object" is the light attenuator for the low light level. It fits in a hole in a plate adjacent to the bulb that swings in out of the light path. It is pretty easy to replace.

As for your "in-and-out" problem with the filter assembly: try looking for loose set screws, etc. Omega heads are pretty straightforward and easy to disassemble/reassemble. The problem should be fairly obvious when you start taking the thing apart.

Best,

Doremus

ic-racer
6-Oct-2014, 03:55
I repaired one for a friend. The filters are on these black arms that rub against three big eccentric wheels.

tjc51
6-Oct-2014, 17:05
Thanks a lot !! Got it fixed !! Doremus- there was a loose set screw- the arm that hooked to the shaft needed its set screw tighten.

ic-racer , your pictures helped me identify how far the arm went through .

thanks again everyone, I really appreciate all your help . Hopefully this weekend I can attach the light attenuator in its rightful location.