PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Tripod Recommendation

mijosc
8-Sep-2014, 09:48
I recently had two tripods stolen from my car. One was a Manfrotto carbon fiber travel size tripod, I don't remember the model anymore. The other was a Manfrotto 055XPROB, a heavy 3 segment aluminum beast with a Manfrotto 410 geared head.

I generally used the heavier tripod for my Ebony RSW45 and the travel tripod when I was traveling with my Rolleiflex or digital cameras. I loved the weight of the travel tripod but also the stability of the 055.

I'm looking to repurchase, but would like to get a single tripod for both situations. Something light enough to travel with (and not break my back) but still sturdy. I was thinking maybe a 4 segment Manfrotto 190 carbon fiber tripod that I could swap heads on depending the situation.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm not stuck on the Manfrotto brand either, but it is available locally and what I'm most familiar with.

Thanks much!

Jmarmck
8-Sep-2014, 10:11
I have a 190. You might not want to use it with the Ebony, particularly with the center post extended.
I was thinking of something from "Really Right Stuff". Pricey but they look great. I think Manfrotto makes the 055 in carbon.....again if you are willing to pay the price.

mijosc
8-Sep-2014, 10:40
I almost never use the center post. My budget for legs is probably $500 max. They do make a carbon fiber version of the 055.; although it is lighter than the aluminum version, it still relatively heavy.

Peter De Smidt
8-Sep-2014, 10:45
Ari, the Canadian distributor for FLM, is a regular poster here. You might pm him and get his recommendation.

Kirk Gittings
8-Sep-2014, 11:53
I have an 055mf3 which is a fine field tripod for 4x5, even carefully using the center post sometimes. the current version is this I believe which should also do fine IMHO:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/584475-REG/Manfrotto_055CX3_055CX3_Carbon_Fiber_Tripod.html

Jmarmck
8-Sep-2014, 13:19
One of the things I do not like about the 190 is that it will mash your fingers in a heartbeat. I do not know if there is a design difference between the 190 and the 055cx but it would figure greatly into my purchasing decisions. I have a sturdier/cheaper Vanguard 283(?) that is taller, sturdier, and larger legs. It does not mash my finders. It also comes with the padding on the upper leg segments. It is actually a pretty nice tripod.

Kirk Gittings
8-Sep-2014, 14:36
One of the things I do not like about the 190 is that it will mash your fingers in a heartbeat. I do not know if there is a design difference between the 190 and the 055cx but it would figure greatly into my purchasing decisions. I have a sturdier/cheaper Vanguard 283(?) that is taller, sturdier, and larger legs. It does not mash my finders. It also comes with the padding on the upper leg segments. It is actually a pretty nice tripod.

The only thing I can add here is that my 055MF3 does not ever pinch my fingers.

Ari
8-Sep-2014, 15:03
Michael, I was going to put up my own tripod for sale in the next week or two, if that Jobo tank ever sells.
It's a CP30-S3S (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/999191-REG/flm_32_30_901_cp30_s3s_carbon_fiber_tripod.html), and for my height (5'8") it's perfect.
Mine is a 3-section affair, which I find more stable than 4-section tripods, and it's the only tripod I use, from the Pentax 67 to the Toyo 810M.
I sent you a PM with more information.

Rolfe Tessem
9-Sep-2014, 08:22
There are a number of good carbon fiber models out there now that China has gotten into the act. For years Gitzo seemed to have a monopoly. I would check out the Induro line.

http://www.indurogear.com/products/carbon-ct-series-8x-tripods/

Rolfe

mijosc
9-Sep-2014, 11:44
Thanks all, I appreciate the recommendations. FLM and Gitzo are a bit out of my price range, even used.

The Induro tripods look like a good fit for me though, particularly the CT113. 3 segments and 2.7 pounds for $330ish. I think I can replace both my tripods with it.

Ari
9-Sep-2014, 11:47
Induros are not bad; I had an aluminum AT413 that could carry anything; it was a little heavy, and there were niggling little problems that never went away, but overall, a good value.

Bill_1856
9-Sep-2014, 11:53
The TILTALL, made by Leitz, weighs 6# including the built-in head. About $100 for used ones.

Rolfe Tessem
10-Sep-2014, 17:35
The Induros have some nice touches, including a tool kit and a VERY good case, which is an optional extra cost option with some other brands.

DennisD
10-Sep-2014, 19:49
I have an Induro CT414. It's carbon fiber and built like a tank. 6 lbs. and will support in excess of 50 lbs if you believe the mfr's specs. It will handle a 5x7 and larger with ease.

I bought this over the similar, but lighter CT314 which I tested and felt could not handle a camera larger than 4x5 securely and solidly.

I believe the price went up about $100 since I bought and now sells over $600.

I would get the same again if this was stolen.

shadow images
15-Sep-2014, 13:20
Thanks all, I appreciate the recommendations. FLM and Gitzo are a bit out of my price range, even used.

The Induro tripods look like a good fit for me though, particularly the CT113. 3 segments and 2.7 pounds for $330ish. I think I can replace both my tripods with it.

You can usually pick up a lightly used Gitzo through the board or KEH in you price range.

zechi
15-Sep-2014, 13:41
I would also recommend a Manfrotto 055mf3 - I recently bought one and took it on a trip to Scandinavia, used it for 4x5 and digital. It's a very nice, sturdy tripod, I got mine used off ebay for about ~ 150 Euros (I'm in Europe) ..

Alan Gales
15-Sep-2014, 13:56
Getcha a big heavy Majestic. Ain't nobody gonna steal that! ;)

Jmarmck
15-Sep-2014, 14:30
You could use it to bludgeon the thief too. Aren't those supposed to be registered as a lethal weapon?

Bill_1856
15-Sep-2014, 16:52
Let us know what you end up with, and how you like it.

Adamphotoman
15-Sep-2014, 22:02
I have owned a CF Gitzo 1348 for around 20 years. It is still going strong. Another website talks about newer Gitzo tripods breaking...after being bought by Manfrotto... The early "Made in France" tripods are good. I use both a 410 geared head and also an FLM ball head.
If I had to replace the G1348 I would do it with an FLM. BTW the 1348 is a 4 section. It remains stable leaving the smallest leg retracted and has the advantage of extra height when needed. The centre column can also be used or not.
I spent a lot on the G legs but 20 years later they have cost me only $50 per year.

Willie
16-Sep-2014, 07:40
Why not buy a Ries wooden tripod? Many use them and the last. The service is excellent.

mijosc
16-Sep-2014, 07:58
Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm specifically looking for something that is lightweight, will travel well, and isn't ridiculously expensive ($500 max, preferably in the $400 range). It needs to be able to hold about 15 pounds reliably, maybe a bit more if I need to weight it down. I'm thinking a medium sized carbon fiber tripod with 3 segments. I had been thinking the Induro CT-113, but now I'm thinking of moving up to the CT-213. Ideally it wouldn't have a center column (I don't ever have use for one), but beggars can't be choosers.

David R Munson
16-Sep-2014, 08:56
After more than a year with an Induro CT213, I can't recommend it highly enough. Thoroughly satisfied with it, I wouldn't hesitate to put a studio-style heavy 4x5 monorail on it. I can see it handling a mid-weight 5x7 no problem, either. It isn't available as a flat top, but the short column is featherweight and I'm still hoping for some aftermarket option like the tripod hubs Markins makes for the comparable Gitzo models. Induro has released a line equivalent to the Gitzo systematic line, but I'm not sure if any of those are light enough for your needs. Worth a look, anyway.

If you have any specific questions I can help with, feel free to ask them here (for the sake of the archives) or shoot me a message.