PDA

View Full Version : Light Meter

Hummy585
5-Sep-2014, 09:34
Since I sold my meter with my 645 a while back, and I am just entering LF, I'm looking for thoughts and recommendations on which light meters I should be considering with a Speed Graphic. My son is quite happy with an app...

BradS
5-Sep-2014, 09:42
Which one did you have previously? Were you happy with it? I ask because often times, it turns out that the "best" is whatever you're used to. My first meter was a Gossen LunaPro SBC. I have others but that first one is still my most often used. It just makes sense to me...

I guess you cannot go too far wrong with a Gossen that takes a modern battery.

OH, and welcome to the Large Format Forum! :)

Christopher Barrett
5-Sep-2014, 10:23
When I'm walking around with my Hasselblad I use an app called Pocket Light Meter on the iPhone. I just got back some Portra negs with proofs and all the images on the proof sheets are dead on. I do have a Sekonic L-758c but the iPhone is smaller and I always have it with me.

Hummy585
5-Sep-2014, 10:23
Great point! It was a Sekonic L-508....

Drew Bedo
5-Sep-2014, 10:36
Sure: Use what you know works for you.

Alan Gales
5-Sep-2014, 11:00
I prefer my Pentax digital spotmeter. I use it with my 8x10, 4x5 Crown Graphic and 35mm Stereo Realist.

Use whatever you like.

Drew Wiley
5-Sep-2014, 12:27
The most important thing with any meter, besides reliability, is to be completely familiar and comfortable with it. I cut my teeth shooting and printing chromes, which
aren't forgiving in terms of exposure error. Once I got on the road a bit with LF, I switched to the Pentax digital spotmeters and have used almost them exclusively
ever since, or the similar Minolta Spotmeter F. I'd be very skeptical at this point in history about the accuracy of any cell phone app for critical use or even ZS technique. Portra 160 is VERY forgiving stuff compared to most films, so I wouldn't consider it ideal for any critical test of whether my hunch is correct or not. But if
it works for you, that's what counts.

Kodachrome25
7-Sep-2014, 14:33
Aside from a Pentax Digital Spot which I use only occasionally, I rely almost exclusively on this tiny Gossen meter. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/918762-REG/gossen_go_4006_2_digisix_2_light_meter.html) I own two of them and they are just about perfect ( for me ). I also echo the sentiment above in really learning how to meter and learning the nuances of your chosen meter.

Michael Clark
7-Sep-2014, 18:46
Aside from a Pentax Digital Spot which I use only occasionally, I rely almost exclusively on this tiny Gossen meter. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/918762-REG/gossen_go_4006_2_digisix_2_light_meter.html) I own two of them and they are just about perfect ( for me ). I also echo the sentiment above in really learning how to meter and learning the nuances of your chosen meter.
Like the alarm feature, be great for camping, getting those sunrise photographs.

Mike

kintatsu
9-Sep-2014, 05:38
I've found the Gossen Starlite 2 to be almost perfect. It also allows zone system placements and readings!

I've really learned a lot using it.

steveo
9-Sep-2014, 06:32
I managed to shoot velvia 100 with an app on my Galaxy S2 as a meter. It depends on the phone and the sensitivity of its light sensor; some only have broad high/medium/low whilst some are pretty accurate.

Jan Harvey
25-Sep-2014, 08:52
I agree with Alan Gales .....
Pentax digital light (http://highpower4s.com/what-are-full-spectrum-led-grow-lights/) spotmeter is best ....

DrTang
25-Sep-2014, 12:56
I agree with Alan Gales .....
Pentax digital light (http://highpower4s.com/what-are-full-spectrum-led-grow-lights/) spotmeter is best ....

but the guy said right off he was going to shoot in studio with strobes - what good will a digital spot meter do?

he needs a flash meter that will also do ambient

Alan Gales
25-Sep-2014, 13:56
but the guy said right off he was going to shoot in studio with strobes - what good will a digital spot meter do?

he needs a flash meter that will also do ambient

Not this guy, the other guy. There are two threads about which meter to use going on. ;)