PDA

View Full Version : Digital Infrared

sanking
5-Sep-2014, 08:51
Made in the North Carolina mountains yesterday, called "Just Before the Rains."

Digital infrared capture on technical view camera. Original image size is 45" X 30" at 360 dpi.

Sandy

bob carnie
5-Sep-2014, 09:06
Simply wicked Sandy.. more detail on how you did the capture

djdister
5-Sep-2014, 09:24
I agree with Bob - can you share the technique(s) behind the magic?

vinny
5-Sep-2014, 11:15
Spooky.

sanking
5-Sep-2014, 11:56
Spooky.

Yes, and it got even spookier when the guy with a yellow beard and long red hair showed up on a tractor pulling a bush hog. You have to watch out in this part of the world because you sometimes run into folks whose family tree does not fork . . .

The main thing to know about the image is that what you see is pretty much what I saw (minus the post-capture visualization process) with the digital IR device, and that the bottom dropped out of the sky about ten minutes after arriving on the scene so I had to set up very fast to make the shot. However, the very soft light from the heavy clouds and approaching thunderstorm gave a nice soft quality to the light. The angle of the sun was about 90 degrees to the left, though by the time I made this shot it was obscured by a heavy dark cloud. Digital IR works best for me when the scene is low contrast and I am able to expand the tones in PS.

The lens used was a 65mm Schneider Super Angulon MC, at f/8. I was above the level of the house so used a bit of front fall to correct perspective, and some forward tilt to give good far and near focus without stopping down the lens. The modified technical camera I used allows shift on the rear up to 30 mm left and right of center, and for this shot I used about 20mm to the left and right for a final angel of coverage of around 100 degrees with two pass stitching. I forgot to use a lens hood!

Now Bob, I hope that is enough in terms of detail? I want to make sure to leave some ambiguity about my work. I am told that the last thing an artist should do is reveal all of his/her secrets!!

I am just happy that my traveling companions yesterday (Sam Wang and Chris Anderson) were more interested photography than eating because if we had stopped at Bob's Roadside Barbecue for lunch instead of the Subway I would have arrived late for the shot.

Sandy

Preston
5-Sep-2014, 12:17
Wicked, indeed! I love this, Sandy!

Nicely done!

--P

bob carnie
5-Sep-2014, 12:42
Now Bob, I hope that is enough in terms of detail? I want to make sure to leave some ambiguity about my work. I am told that the last thing an artist should do is reveal all of his/her secrets!!

There are no secrets Sandy.... but I am interested on the sensor used on the camera and how you made this happen.. I know all about your and Sam's cheater cameras but this seems to be a huge step forward.

Enquiring minds need to know.

Drew Wiley
5-Sep-2014, 13:00
Wonderful sky, the way it complements the brushiness of the scene below. But yeah, it does look like the Bates Hotel Annex. I wouldn't want to spend too much time under a darkcloth, with someone sneaking up behind with an axe !

Merg Ross
5-Sep-2014, 13:59
Superb!

sanking
5-Sep-2014, 15:03
Superb!

Thanks Merg.

And Bob, I will be happy to share my secrets with you, just give me a call. But if I reveal them here my good friend Sam Wang will smell the scent, and there will go my edge!! Can not let that happen.

Sandy

Kirk Gittings
5-Sep-2014, 16:03
Great image. So I assume the "clarification" you asked for from the moderators went your way? Did I miss some kind of public clarification by the moderators? I'm glad but would just like to see what they said.

sanking
5-Sep-2014, 16:39
Great image. So I assume the "clarification" you asked for from the moderators went your way? Did I miss some kind of public clarification by the moderators? I'm glad but would just like to see what they said.

Hi Kirk,

The moderators have not clarified the matter. I simply read what others had to say, read the guidelines again, in particular Q.T. Luong's discussion of small format view camera and what constitutes "the large format" experience, came to my own conclusion, and decided to act accordingly. I hope others will agree, but if not it will only limit what I discuss here, not what I do.

Sandy

Andrew O'Neill
5-Sep-2014, 17:30
Very nice, Sandy. When there is no more IR film, it'll be digital IR for me.

TXFZ1
5-Sep-2014, 17:44
Very nice, Kudzu gone wild.

David

VictoriaPerelet
5-Sep-2014, 19:14
I think I already broke rules awhile ago and posted this pic in IR thread :confused:
Backyard deck view from our house/studio. Combination of visible & IR

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52900356/LfPics/Photo%20Jan%2011%2C%2010%2043%2013%20AM.jpg

Sinar F2 Schneider 210mm, F64. PhaseOne Powerphase scanning back without IR blocking filter.

Andrew O'Neill
5-Sep-2014, 22:45
Hi Kirk,

The moderators have not clarified the matter. I simply read what others had to say, read the guidelines again, in particular Q.T. Luong's discussion of small format view camera and what constitutes "the large format" experience, came to my own conclusion, and decided to act accordingly. I hope others will agree, but if not it will only limit what I discuss here, not what I do.

Sandy

If the camera used was a LF camera, then shouldn't be a problem.

DennisD
6-Sep-2014, 01:36
Sandy,

Thanks for sharing your marvelous image.

I appreciate your thinking outside of the box (of film) and hope it inspires others as well !!

Dennis

DennisD
6-Sep-2014, 01:49
If the camera used was a LF camera, then shouldn't be a problem.

Quote from Sandy's post:
The lens used was a 65mm Schneider Super Angulon MC, at f/8. I was above the level of the house so used a bit of front fall to correct perspective, and some forward tilt to give good far and near focus without stopping down the lens. The modified technical camera I used allows shift on the rear up to 30 mm left and right of center, and for this shot I used about 20mm to the left and right for a final angel of coverage of around 100 degrees with two pass stitching.

Sounds like it qualifies !

bob carnie
6-Sep-2014, 05:50
I will call.. that Sam is unrelenting..
great image

Thanks Merg.

And Bob, I will be happy to share my secrets with you, just give me a call. But if I reveal them here my good friend Sam Wang will smell the scent, and there will go my edge!! Can not let that happen.

Sandy

Ken Lee
6-Sep-2014, 07:06
The moderators have not clarified the matter.

Not yet, but we've been discussing it slowly and carefully. Some of us have had only limited availability: attending to business and family matters with no internet access.

For example, I'm in NYC to attend someone's cancer surgery - there's an exhibit of Bernice Abbott photos on the wall of Memorial Sloane Kettering Hospital. 16x20 and larger prints, some quite well-known. I don't know who made the prints.

We hope to "roll out" a clarification soon.

tgtaylor
6-Sep-2014, 09:06
Actually converting a digital camera for IR is pretty old hat. Back in 2007 I founded The Bay Area Photographic & Exploration Society - a local Meet-up group for photographers. We usually met at a Starbucks for coffee and I or another member would hold a short class on some photo technique such as how to get the hypo focal focus, filters, etc., and afterwards head to a nearby shooting location. At this http://www.meetup.com/SF-Bay-Area-Photographers-Explorers/events/9248714/ meetup the shoot was to be the SF City Hall and surrounding buildings so we meetup at a nearby Starbucks which turned out to be closed but the adjoining office building lobby was quite large and well-lit with a fountain where you could sit. The class that night was how to convert your digital P&S for IR which drew a number of interested. Afterwards we proceeded to shoot City Hall and the Opera and Veteran's Memorial building on Van Ness.

Thomas

ImSoNegative
7-Sep-2014, 14:04
Interesting take on the folks that live in the south east

sanking
24-Sep-2014, 18:28
Another digital IR made with view camera. Real southern Gothic from a place time left behind.

Sandy

Peter De Smidt
24-Sep-2014, 19:57
Wowzers!