PDA

View Full Version : Connecting a Packard Synchro Shutter to a Hotshoe/PC terminal

OrangeMike
30-Aug-2014, 13:49
Hi all,

I recently ordered a Wollaston lens from Renhold Schable, and he's been able to source and will be sending me a #6 Packard Synchro shutter for use with it.

Could anyone offer some info on how I can connect the terminals of the synchro shutter to a hot shoe? My wiring-fu is very, very weak.

Thanks all :)

Tin Can
30-Aug-2014, 14:23
Nothing to it. Get a PC cord, strip back the insulation on the 2 wires inside and connect them in any order to the Packard Sync terminales.

Completely safe and almost impossible to mess up. The only mess up could be that you fail to connect metal wire to metal wire or nut connections.

Plug the PC adapter into your shutter or camera.

OrangeMike
31-Aug-2014, 08:47
Oh awesome - thank you!

Harold_4074
2-Sep-2014, 19:22
If the shutter was "sourced" new from the Packard Shutter Company (unlikely, since there are so many used ones out there) you might want to remove and de-insulate the connectors which attach to the microswitch terminals. Then solder, re-insulate and re-attach. The crimp connections as-delivered aren't all that secure, as I found out recently.

If it is an older shutter with no microswitch at the top, it may have been retrofitted internally. In that case, you may want to open it up and check for insulation where the wires leave the case. Wear at that point will give you very unreliable sync....don't ask me how I know this :)

Tin Can
2-Sep-2014, 20:08
Let's cross our fingers and hope complications do not arise.

As all mechanics say, 'No news is good news!'

AtlantaTerry
2-Sep-2014, 23:44
Would it not be prudent to maintain ground? Otherwise there could be polarity issues which cause premature firing of the strobe.

OrangeMike
3-Sep-2014, 07:37
I think it's an older model, as it's used, but I'm not sure. If I post some pics once I have it in my hands, would you mind taking a look?

Thanks again folks!

Tin Can
3-Sep-2014, 07:41
Yes, that is ideal, but is it really necessary?

Now you get to explain grounding!

Would it not be prudent to maintain ground? Otherwise there could be polarity issues which cause premature firing of the strobe.

Tin Can
3-Sep-2014, 07:42
Reinhold should be able to talk you through any issue, he loves phone calls. Really!

I think it's an older model, as it's used, but I'm not sure. If I post some pics once I have it in my hands, would you mind taking a look?

Thanks again folks!

DrTang
3-Sep-2014, 11:09
hot shoe?

OrangeMike
18-Sep-2014, 06:55
It's all wired up and working like a charm - just wanted to say thanks to all of you! :)