PDA

View Full Version : Someone selling a "Red Dot" Prototype Dagor for $32,000.00

Ken Lee
26-Aug-2014, 16:57
The eBay description is UBER RARE "Red Dot" Prototype DAGOR 8 1/4" Mint in Box (Gold Dot) Goerz Lens

It looks nice and clean, but I'd be surprised if it fetches any more than $31,999.99

What's so special about it ?

Mark Sawyer
26-Aug-2014, 17:04
What's so special about it ?

Well, it's not just "uber rare", it's "UBER RARE". Also note it's a "collector's dream". And while the seller doesn't mention it, there's a good chance it's also a "must-have for any collection". It may also be "the Holy Grail of lenses", and I'm pretty sure it has "Buddha Bokeh"...

MIke Sherck
26-Aug-2014, 17:10
I wonder whether he'd take prototypes of my new currency, iMoney, in exchange?

The currency is digital. I'd email it to him.

Vaughn
26-Aug-2014, 17:21
I have never seen a red dot Dagor that looks like it is set up as an enlarger lens. But then I have not looked for one, and it may not be set up as an enlarger lens. It does look minty. :)

But the seller must be happy that his view-count on the lens is shooting up!

Sal Santamaura
26-Aug-2014, 18:11
Someone selling a "Red Dot" Prototype Dagor for $32,000.00Well, trying to sell for that much. The listing still has around one week to go. So far, a single offer (of indeterminate magnitude) was made and declined. We shall see whether that someone actually finds a buyer and, if so, at what price.

...It looks nice and clean...

...It does look minty...!I don't know, the aperture blades (of which there appear to be around 20) seem to have oil on them. :D

djdister
26-Aug-2014, 18:40
That's small change. This Leicaflex SL U.S. Navy with 2/75mm Elcan -R can be had for the low low price of $145,200 (Buy it Now only)...

jcoldslabs
26-Aug-2014, 19:14
There's never any harm in asking for the moon. Getting it? That's a different story.

Jonathan

Liquid Artist
26-Aug-2014, 20:08
I am about to buy it!
Everyone Remember, If my girlfriend asks you about it I paid $20.00 for it.

Ken Lee
27-Aug-2014, 03:32
The seller says it's a gold dot dagor with a red dot. To me it looks like a red dot artar with a typographical error (Dagor).

cyrus
27-Aug-2014, 05:01
Damn, I should charge more for my ULF lenses. I thought I was high-balling already but apparently not...

Drew Wiley
27-Aug-2014, 09:55
I already mentioned this somewhere in the Lounge, I think; or maybe it was over on APUG. That's almost as much money as a rich 13-year old collector would pay for a chewing gum wrapper thrown away by Justin Bieber. I didn't notice if the listing added the words, "or best offer", which would probably come to twenty bucks.
Most ultra rare lenses either go for free or to some industrial dumpster.

cyrus
27-Aug-2014, 12:13
My lenses are for sale then -- $1 million. or best offer.

Liquid Artist
27-Aug-2014, 12:52
My lenses are for sale then -- $1 million. or best offer.

$10.00 for the lot!
I would give you more if I hadn't just spent. $32,000 on the one listed.

jnantz
27-Aug-2014, 18:42
does he take bitcoin? i don't use traditional currency anymore

Jac@stafford.net
27-Aug-2014, 19:04
Some things are rare because they were crap, such as failed prototypes that would find no market. Sometimes typos don't get practical folks excited. This is one or the other, or a fake. I cannot imagine anyone here giving a hoot. Must suck being the seller. Wonder how much he paid for it?

Keith Pitman
27-Aug-2014, 19:44
$40 for shipping seems a little high, don't you think?

Tom Sobota
28-Aug-2014, 04:06
The guy actually sells three, possibly unrelated, objects: a Red Dot Dagor, a box from a Schneider lens, and an old Schneider label. The label is originally from a Tele-Xenar, and somebody wrote "Dagor" on it by hand. The box seems too small for a Tele-Xenar, so probably the label has been stuck on it at a later moment. It looks older than the box and the lens.

From these three elements the seller cleverly creates a once in a lifetime prototype worth 32000 dollars. This guy should be in politics.
Tom

monkeymon
30-Aug-2014, 08:46
I don't know, the aperture blades (of which there appear to be around 20) seem to have oil on them. :D

Why people complain about the oil on aperture blades?

The oil on aperture blades is something that matters only on auto aperture cameras that need super fast closing & opening of aperture.

It does not have any negative effect on manual apertures, i would assume it's just a positive thing.

Sal Santamaura
30-Aug-2014, 09:01
...It looks nice and clean...

...It does look minty...

...I don't know, the aperture blades (of which there appear to be around 20) seem to have oil on them. :D

Why people complain about the oil on aperture blades?

The oil on aperture blades is something that matters only on auto aperture cameras that need super fast closing & opening of aperture.

It does not have any negative effect on manual apertures, i would assume it's just a positive thing.I wasn't "complaining" about the oil. I was merely pointing out that a lens, being offered at $32,000.00, is not exactly "clean" or "minty." You might also notice that I put a "Big Grin" emoticon with the observation. :)

brucetaylor
30-Aug-2014, 09:58
A bit off topic, but about the oil on the aperture blades- mostly true, if it's not an auto aperture lens who cares? Except... it means lubricant has migrated from where it is supposed to be. I have been in the unfortunate situation were it has misted on to the lens elements on either side of the aperture requiring expensive work by an optical technician. However it can be useful to exclaim "OMG, oil on the aperture blades?!" and get a great deal with no ill effects.

Dan Fromm
30-Aug-2014, 10:19
About the oil on the diaphragm, it is most likely paint. I've had a number of LF lenses in barrel with what appeared to be oil on the diaphragm blades. It never was. And yes, I looked at the listing.

E. von Hoegh
30-Aug-2014, 10:55
Well, it's intriguing. The Kern Dagors were made in Switzerland. This one is marked as being made in Germany. Red dot? a bottle of Testor's model paint could supply that. As for it being an Artar, the fastest (and shortest) Artars were f:9.
And oil on aperture blades is far from being a positive thing. It makes them reflective and means the lens needs to be stripped, degreased mechanically and optically and relubed preferably with something that won't separate and migrate.