PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as a compact, lightweight, stable, and inexpensive 3-axis head?

Steve Goldstein
19-Aug-2014, 13:51
My travel tripod is a Feisol 3441S with a Photoclam PC33-NS ball head, a setup I bought from Kerry some years back. This rig allows me to minimize packed length by inverting the legs, i.e. folding them up so the head is inside, and it fits nicely into a carry-on roller. For use that doesn't involve air travel I have a Gitzo that, until a few weeks ago, sported a Linhof Profi-II ball head.

Recently I picked up a Manfrotto 410 to see what all the 3-axis-head hoopla was about, and I'm hooked! The 410 now lives on my Gitzo. I'd never felt that the ball head was a problem, but the 410 is just so much easier and nicer to use. Now I'm wondering if there's a decent lightweight 3-axis head, ideally with a 410-like quick adjustment capability, that doesn't have long levers sticking out all over, and is small enough to allow me to invert the legs for a minimum-length travel configuration. I'd mostly use it with a field 4x5 (Nagaoka or Shen-Hao) or a Mamiya 7. I don't have an L-plate for my M7 so I'd like the ability to flop it over 90 degrees, which I can do with my 410 or my ball heads.

Extra credit if the cost is in the low-three-digits. Four digits is probably out of my budget. I've looked at the specs of the Arca-Swiss Cube C1 and, aside from being fairly heavy, it seems too large (physically and pricewise).

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

David A. Goldfarb
19-Aug-2014, 14:09
I have the CT-3441S and use it with a few heads, and you need a really small head to fit attached with the legs reversed--not likely with a 3-way head. What I do is to only keep it with the legs reversed when I need to pack it in luggage, and if I'm using a head that doesn't fit with the legs reversed, I detach the head. Then when I'm walking around with my tripod, I don't reverse the legs, because it doesn't actually need to be as compact as possible when hanging from my shoulder on a strap or attached to the outside of a backpack, and it's still pretty compact.

mdarnton
19-Aug-2014, 14:30
How about a 3025? Compact and clever, holds my press camera fine. Not fancy, not expensive.

Steve Goldstein
19-Aug-2014, 15:40
David, you have pointed out the obvious point that I completely missed. I simply didn't think of taking the head off for travel since I'm not in the habit of doing so now. It's a bit less convenient, and takes a bit more room in luggage that way, but certainly enlarges the solution space!

Michael, I assume you're talking about the Manfrotto 3025, which B&H and Manfrotto both show as discontinued and replaced by the 056 (but the pictures look identical). I like the weight, and definitely the price - it's a good candidate all right. Can you give me a sense of how big it is? The Manfrotto site is unenlightening in this regard. As a side note, it's kind of funny that buying it direct from Manfrotto costs more and I'd have to pay shipping..

mdarnton
19-Aug-2014, 16:35
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Ll90zlUx2cA/U_Pd9MKat4I/AAAAAAAACEM/fvrNK6qcLyA/w743-h557-no/20140819_182614.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rJJCbZhmtAI/U_PeVRfOMcI/AAAAAAAACEY/icxbuINx_MA/w743-h557-no/20140819_182628.jpg

3025: It's about the size of a large ball head, but more flexible. Folded, it covers my palm and half of each finger, and is about 2.3 palms thick. Each axis releases separately and there's no damping at all: put it where you want it and tighten it. I find it easier to use precisely than three-way heads or a cheap ball head because of the total lack of damping means it's not jumpy. One pound, three ounces.

The early model doesn't have big handles, and no quick release, so it's smaller. You can use it left or right eyed, and the top flips up for easy access to the camera screw, so the QR isn't really useful. I used it for years on my Leicas and Nikon D300, but it's not enough for a Cambo. However, as I said, with a press camera it's fine. Originally I got the idea from my brother who used it for landscapes with his Blads.

$25 on Ebay. Easy buy.

Peter De Smidt
19-Aug-2014, 16:52
I have a 3025. With a light 4x5 field camera, it should be ok. I wouldn't use any heavy, long focal length lenses with it, though.

Peter Lewin
19-Aug-2014, 17:24
This kind of reminds me of an old adage about racing bicycles and components: you can have light, or strong, or cheap - choose any two, you can't have all three. if you look at the similar thread on choosing a tripod head, the closest I could come was the Arca Swiss d4, which is light,strong, but definitely not cheap, especially if you opts for the geared version. I have one on my "dream list" but cannot justify the expense.

Weihan
19-Aug-2014, 18:57
I've been looking for something similar and am now convinced of the merits of the Induro PHQ-3. I tried it out yesterday at the house of a friend and can honestly say I am VERY impressed with its capabilities. It weighs about 2.2 pounds, which is clearly above the weight of the Arca Swiss D4, which I'd previously thought I wanted. It's just that the PHQ-3 will do most anything that a tripod head is or should be capable of - 5-way movements! And since it's not a ball head, you don't have the worry about needing to start from scratch each time you need to adjust one axis. Oh, yes, and the handles fold in nicely for a very compact transport position.
My travel tripod is a Feisol 3441S with a Photoclam PC33-NS ball head, a setup I bought from Kerry some years back. This rig allows me to minimize packed length by inverting the legs, i.e. folding them up so the head is inside, and it fits nicely into a carry-on roller. For use that doesn't involve air travel I have a Gitzo that, until a few weeks ago, sported a Linhof Profi-II ball head.

Recently I picked up a Manfrotto 410 to see what all the 3-axis-head hoopla was about, and I'm hooked! The 410 now lives on my Gitzo. I'd never felt that the ball head was a problem, but the 410 is just so much easier and nicer to use. Now I'm wondering if there's a decent lightweight 3-axis head, ideally with a 410-like quick adjustment capability, that doesn't have long levers sticking out all over, and is small enough to allow me to invert the legs for a minimum-length travel configuration. I'd mostly use it with a field 4x5 (Nagaoka or Shen-Hao) or a Mamiya 7. I don't have an L-plate for my M7 so I'd like the ability to flop it over 90 degrees, which I can do with my 410 or my ball heads.

Extra credit if the cost is in the low-three-digits. Four digits is probably out of my budget. I've looked at the specs of the Arca-Swiss Cube C1 and, aside from being fairly heavy, it seems too large (physically and pricewise).

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Collas
20-Aug-2014, 04:09
Arca-Swiss D4, or D4M if you don't want extra cost. There's also the newly-released Linhof 3D Levelling Head II Q or the much cheaper Linhof 3-Way Levelling Head.

A review of the D4 - https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2011/06/the-arca-d4-a-new-standard-for-geared-heads/

I'm happy with the D4.

Nick

Steve Goldstein
20-Aug-2014, 04:23
Thanks for the pictures Michael, they're very helpful. The 3025/056 looks like it's worth a try, especially at eBay prices.

The D4 is bigger, heavier, and more expensive than I was thinking about. I'm sure it's a superb head, but not for my particular purpose.

In my day job (electrical engineering) we have a saying similar to Peter's - Fast, cheap, and correct - choose two.

Thanks to those who've replied, this has been very helpful.

mdarnton
20-Aug-2014, 04:24
Indeed, what about a levelling head? I've been thinking about that one for a while. Not heavy, not very much tilt seems like a fair trade.

Jeff Dexheimer
20-Aug-2014, 06:05
I have the Manfrotto 3025. I would advise against it. Mine is destined for replacement as soon as I can secure funds to buy something sturdier. I call it my limp noodle tripod head.

Tony Lakin
20-Aug-2014, 09:32

My 3025, modified with a couple of spare knobs from my tripod bits box, pan and side tilt came off a Slik SL88, the handle on the forward/backward tilt also from my bits box, don't know it's origin, much easier to lock firmly than the original nasty little sharp star knobs, I use it when travelling light with 4x5 kit, all works great.