PDA

View Full Version : Apps for Large Format

skiers4life
19-Aug-2014, 09:04
I posted a video showing some of the apps I use for large format photography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swxX_nn4VzU

I use three of them on every shot: Holders, Reciprocity Timer, and Mark II Artist's Viewfinder. I carry no notes in the field, so the Holders app is literally all I have to keep track of film and exposure. If my iPhone ever takes a swim I'm in big trouble.

Reciprocity Timer I've found to be extremely accurate. It matches manufacturer's recommendations for all the Fuji films I've tried. It has also been spot on for Kodak Ektar 100 which is quite impressive considering Kodak doesn't produce reciprocity info for this film. Also handy to have for Ilford Delta 100 because Ilford only produces their data in graph form without specific numbers. It's also handy to have for bellows and filter compensation, but I've found its greatest benefit is helping meter using the Zone System. I struggled for a while trying to figure out how to best meter for the ZS with my Sekonic 558, and here is what I've come up with. Let's say I meter the white water of a waterfall. I'll store this number in my meter and also input the number into the app. The meter's reading is my Zone V number. I usually place the water in Zone VIII so I'll use the app's "compensation" slider to add 3 stops. Next, I'll go back over the scene with my meter making sure all areas I want data in are no greater than 5 stops away from my original reading (5 stops away would be Zone III). I know this can be done in the meter, but the app helps keep everything clearer, especially when using a filter.

Last, the Viewfinder app was a complete game-changer for me. I can examine a scene so much better when I see it on a screen. This has allowed me to make better and faster compositions when scouting.

I know most of these apps have been mentioned before, but I thought it may be useful for some people to see them in use. Hope you enjoy.

alavergh
25-Aug-2014, 22:48
Wow, that viewfinder app is nearly $25! That's a bit much on something you can't really try out. Can you tell if it'd work with a Wisner 45 tech field with some Fujinon lenses? 65mm, 90mm, 210mm?

Light Guru
26-Aug-2014, 17:38
Your not even using some of the best parts of the reciprocity timer app. The notes feature of it hands down beats the holder app.

I tried the holder app a few years back and found it extremely clunky. Also it took the developer over 2 years before they released an update which is a hor ably long time and shows that the developer really does not care about the app. I also don't think a app is needed to know if your film holders are loaded and what film they contain. I know my holders have film because I keep them each in a ziplock back when loaded and the indicator tap on the holder shows if it's exposed. A piece of painters tape and a sharpie are used to indicate what type of film is in it.

I'm guessing you have not done the in app upgrade for the reciprocity timer. It can automatically create a note when the exposure timer ends and t it puts all the exposure info you have entered into the note. You can then add any more info you may want like holder number, I even put in zone system development adjustments I want to use when shooting B&W. You can also add a photo taken with the phone and even add marks to the photo for where you did your zone exposure readings.

I then will use the app to export the notes to pdf files that I print and keep that with my developed negative.

alavergh
27-Aug-2014, 22:07
I use the voice recorder on my iPhone. I use it to record the normal stuff, and developing change, which holder it is, and what the subject is along with anything to watch out for. I hate having to type or dictate something and then correct, so I just speak and give it a title, usually the holder number and where I am. I tried using Holders too and it wasn't as happy with it.

Jmarmck
28-Aug-2014, 07:18
I bought this thing called a Galaxy S3 a couple years ago. It's a phone. It does other things too but every time I try it something goes wrong. I just found the stop watch on the damn thing last night. Convenient. I was shooting a calcite crystal last night. Got a normal metering from the D800e (6 sec @ f22). Lets see bellows length-add 2 stops, 24 sec @ f22, adjust aperture to f32, 48 sec @ f32, adjust aperture to f45, 96 sec @ f45, adjust to f64, 192 sec @ f64.......................oops I may have underexposed the neg by a quarter stop. Hmmm reciprocity correction...................crap, I forgot!

You see all the gadgets in the world cannot fix stupidity.

skiers4life
30-Aug-2014, 20:23
Wow, that viewfinder app is nearly $25! That's a bit much on something you can't really try out. Can you tell if it'd work with a Wisner 45 tech field with some Fujinon lenses? 65mm, 90mm, 210mm?

Should work just fine. With the 65mm and 90mm lenses you'll need a wide angle adapter lens for the iPhone because those 2 focal lengths are wider than the native iPhone camera. I will agree that is VERY expensive for an app; I debated for several months on whether or not to get it. However, it has completely changed the way I shoot. It's honestly some of the best money I've spent in large format.

Light Guru
30-Aug-2014, 20:36
I use the voice recorder on my iPhone. I use it to record the normal stuff, and developing change, which holder it is, and what the subject is along with anything to watch out for. I hate having to type or dictate something and then correct, so I just speak and give it a title, usually the holder number and where I am. I tried using Holders too and it wasn't as happy with it.

The reciprocity timer app has a audio record feature (available with the in app upgrade) this would allow you to attach your audio notes to the exposure calculation that you do in the app.

David A. Goldfarb
31-Aug-2014, 00:06
I've been using the previous version of that viewfinder app called Viewfinder Pro for a few years, and it's excellent. It wasn't so expensive originally, but I'd pay $25 for it. Alpa makes an iPhone mount particularly for use with this software.

richardman
31-Aug-2014, 02:08
I am using an app called Film Crop Assistant. I'm pretty sure an LFF'er makes it. It's free and works great. You select you camera type and lens type. It also does bellow factor calculation, and it's free.

Light Guru
31-Aug-2014, 08:41
I am using an app called Film Crop Assistant. I'm pretty sure an LFF'er makes it. It's free and works great. You select you camera type and lens type. It also does bellow factor calculation, and it's free.

I'm guessing this is an android app because it does not show up when I search the Apple App Store.

When posting apps on this thread be sure to specify the platform they fun on.

richardman
1-Sep-2014, 00:36
My apology :-) I didn't know the author did not port it to iOS.

I'm pretty sure I found the original reference here, a year or two ago. I guess as the author has not yet spoken up, it's actually either on APUG, or that he is currently not active on the forum these past few days.

Dirk Rösler
1-Sep-2014, 02:28
I am using Field Tools for DoF calculations (iOS)

evan clarke
1-Sep-2014, 17:36
Two easier methods than apps. I use a Technika viewfinder to examine the scene and it's 10 times faster than the viewfinder app which i have had since it came out.

The second thing is that I use non residue paper artist's tape on my holders. All the info is written on the spot, the development chosen at that point and the tape comes off and rides along with the negative's envelope...WAY better than recorded notes. I use 8 colors which code the emulsion..no mistakes there either.

Drew Bedo
8-Sep-2014, 05:33
I would like to see a smart phone app for checking shutter speeds in the field.

I have been told that a mechanical shutter deemed "accurate" may vary form the marked speed by 30%. I would think that ambient temperature and humidity could affect the accuracy as conditions change as well.

Could a flash-meter app be adapted to check how long the shutter is open?

towolf
8-Sep-2014, 09:02
Could a flash-meter app be adapted to check how long the shutter is open?
I think the ambient light sensors on smart phones are too slow to measure this. you'd need twice the sampling rate to measure a shutter speed, e.g., 400Hz for 1/200.
http://i.imgur.com/ClzEX5pl.jpg

The other options would be to use sound recording or the video camera (but the sampling or frame rate of the video cameras too slow also).

Dirk Rösler
16-Sep-2014, 03:26
The second thing is that I use non residue paper artist's tape on my holders. All the info is written on the spot, the development chosen at that point and the tape comes off and rides along with the negative's envelope...WAY better than recorded notes. I use 8 colors which code the emulsion..no mistakes there either.

I like this - but how do you match the note to the film after development, i.e. how do you know what sheet was in which holder after processing?

chris_4622
17-Oct-2014, 08:25
The downside to apps is when there is an update, such as the case with iOS 8, many of the apps crash.
Filmholder app won't allow a new film to be entered but the app still functions otherwise.
Lightmeter app crashes.
ExpDev updated and works but they still haven't introduced a suggestion I made two years ago and was agreed would be implemented; when starting a new exposure having the last entered EV numbers saves a lot of dicking around not having to start at zero each time.

Light Guru
17-Oct-2014, 12:38
The downside to apps is when there is an update, such as the case with iOS 8, many of the apps crash.
Filmholder app won't allow a new film to be entered but the app still functions otherwise.
Lightmeter app crashes.
ExpDev updated and works but they still haven't introduced a suggestion I made two years ago and was agreed would be implemented; when starting a new exposure having the last entered EV numbers saves a lot of dicking around not having to start at zero each time.

Thats more the fault of the app develops not staying on top of updating the app to be compatible with updated version of iOS.

rhineroo
25-Oct-2014, 12:16
Two easier methods than apps. I use a Technika viewfinder to examine the scene and it's 10 times faster than the viewfinder app which i have had since it came out.

One reason why I use an easy to fix revolver viewfinder too for my LF. Second reason is to save my privacy as good as possible. Condition to load apps make it impossible. They are rather curious.
My post here to consider this point was blot out. Freedom of thougts?

regards,
rhineroo

Lenny Eiger
28-Oct-2014, 16:55
I did write Photo Tools Pro for large format users. Haven't upgraded it in a while but people say it works pretty well... works in iOS8 just fine...

Lenny

grzybu
29-Oct-2014, 00:59
There is also OrthoCam for Android which I've created to help visualize effect of green or blue sensitive films. It also has light meter.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grzyboo.orthocamera

Boinzo
4-Mar-2015, 23:59
I have started some initial design work around a new release of Reciprocity Timer. I hope to have it ready in the next 2 or 3 months.
I'm reviewing the UI and will probably re-design the Notes section so that you can move notes between categories and so on. I want to make it easier to use.
I also want to ensure you can use the app just to make notes - without the need to start the timer.
Feel free to submit any feature requests you may have here. I can't promise but I certainly appreciate the feedback and input from regular users.
I'm also planning on releasing an Android version at around the same time. You guys have been going without for long enough! :o

vinny
5-Mar-2015, 07:36
Boinzo,
Less is more.
The bellows extension buttons throw me for a loop every time. Let's say I choose 300 because I have a 305mm lens on and am shooting a close up but sliding the bellows extension button all the way over only goes to 300mm. Is it possible to have the "focal length" slider go from 0 to 1200 and same for the bellows extension?

Ari
5-Mar-2015, 07:55
Boinzo,
Less is more.
The bellows extension buttons throw me for a loop every time. Let's say I choose 300 because I have a 305mm lens on and am shooting a close up but sliding the bellows extension button all the way over only goes to 300mm. Is it possible to have the "focal length" slider go from 0 to 1200 and same for the bellows extension?

Great app, and my most-used.
I think Vinny's suggestion is a good one; I find these two functions unnecessarily complicated. Just one slider for each of the FL and bellows function would make things much clearer and simpler to operate.
Keep it simple-r.

Tony Lakin
5-Mar-2015, 08:34
Here is my lens extension app:p

Ari
5-Mar-2015, 09:24
Tony, if it were only about bellows factor, I'd agree with you 100%.
But the app also takes into account the type of film being used as well as its reciprocity characteristics; very handy to have it all in one place.

Delfi_r
5-Mar-2015, 09:55
Nice to hear from you!

I have problems with the app on iOs 8 on the phone 6 (not the iPad). When you try to move the zone icon to the image the program crashes. So I' expect the new version, and don't forget to send me the language files to work on the translation.

StoneNYC
5-Mar-2015, 11:51
I would like the "filter" icon to be a red or graduated density round looking filter, the "funnel" icon doesn't translate in my brain, I use the app every week and still go searching for how to select a filter as I never see the funnel as a filter... Lol!

Most used app for sure! No major complaints, adding a light meter in the app would be nice, with "real world/live view" as you make adjustments. And B&W view option. Since its color sensor, you could apply filter choices (removing blue, red filters etc) I know lots of work and not perfect, but would be like taking a polaroid test shot, very helpful. Could overlay that on the zone system readings choices picture.

Just a thought.

fishbulb
5-Mar-2015, 12:19
The only app I use is the Shutter Speed Tester app: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?104402-Shutter-Speed-Tester-for-the-iPhone

But I will look into the Reciprocity Timer app. Sounds cool.

atorger
25-Apr-2016, 07:07
I recently made a depth of field calculator app called "Lumariver Depth of Field" (available at both Android and iOS) that I think can be relevant for large format, although I use it myself on a digital Linhof Techno system for now. The app does plain focusing (not macro) and tilt focusing. I think it's primarily the tilt aspect that makes it more interesting for large format users than the typical depth of field app. It's mainly intended for landscape photography use cases. In addition to hinge distance calculations in provides the height of the in-focus window (wedge span at infinity), and intersections if you choose to put the hinge distance below the ground level (useful for longer lenses).

You can find more info about it here: http://www.lumariver.com/#LumariverDoF

It's not a free app, but I can assure you I have put plenty effort in it, and it's pretty well documented :)

I've attached a couple of screenshots below for a Nikkor-SW 90/8 lens, used with and without tilt (to separate screens within the app). The concept is based around interconnected scrollers, when you move one the others follow (if necessary) according to the depth of field formulas. Here's a brief 90 second video showing the scrollers in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOQYFlHCz70&rel=0

Drew Bedo
28-Apr-2016, 06:12
Not really an App:

Why not a lensNany-ish piece of hardware that would turn any tablet into a digital view camera? There would probably need to be some sort of app to go with it.

lecarp
28-Apr-2016, 16:10
Thank You!

Here is my lens extension app:p

Drew Bedo
29-Apr-2016, 04:52
I try to simplify when possible.

My two most used lenses in the field seem to be a 150mm and a 210 mm (in 4x5). By prefiguring the correction,: the 150mm needs ~1/3rd stop more exposure for every inch beyond 6 inches and the 210mm needs ~1/4thmore for each inch beyond 8".

When working inside with table top set-ups maybe I'll figure it out more closely.

atorger
4-May-2016, 01:01
I recently made a depth of field calculator app called "Lumariver Depth of Field" (available at both Android and iOS) that I think can be relevant for large format, although I use it myself on a digital Linhof Techno system for now. The app does plain focusing (not macro) and tilt focusing. I think it's primarily the tilt aspect that makes it more interesting for large format users than the typical depth of field app. It's mainly intended for landscape photography use cases. In addition to hinge distance calculations in provides the height of the in-focus window (wedge span at infinity), and intersections if you choose to put the hinge distance below the ground level (useful for longer lenses).

You can find more info about it here: http://www.lumariver.com/#LumariverDoF

It's not a free app, but I can assure you I have put plenty effort in it, and it's pretty well documented :)

I've attached a couple of screenshots below for a Nikkor-SW 90/8 lens, used with and without tilt (to separate screens within the app). The concept is based around interconnected scrollers, when you move one the others follow (if necessary) according to the depth of field formulas. Here's a brief 90 second video showing the scrollers in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOQYFlHCz70&rel=0

I've just released a new update (v1.0.4) of this which includes a lens database. You can always enter your lenses manually as before if you're using something exotic (which is common in the large format world), but if you have one of the common Rodenstock, Schneider, Fujinon or Nikkor lenses you can pick it directly from the bundled database.

zone
24-Feb-2018, 04:48
Hello
There is an app for iOS to take note of shoot ?
PhotoTools is good but not will support in iOS 11 and many other app will not supported
Thanks

Peter De Smidt
10-Jan-2019, 15:08
I bought Lumariver depth of field app today. So far, I'm very impressed. I was photographing the other day behind a frozen waterfall, under a rock shelf, with my 4x5 and a 90mm lens. Even with a Maxwell screen, the edges of the frame were really hard to see. This app and my laser distance measure would've been a big help. I plan on using it tomorrow with Pali's panorama camera, which only has distance scales. User report: The app worked great!

Drew Bedo
20-Jan-2019, 08:01
A freeApp: Sunny sixteen.

Willie
20-Jan-2019, 10:42
How in the world did Adams, Weston, Baer and the like ever take a good picture?

pmviewcam
20-Jan-2019, 17:57
I bought Lumariver today - it looks fairly useful once you get familiar with it. There are a couple of issues with it though. I used my tablet to purchase, and it downloaded successfully, but I really want to use it on my smartphone, and there seems to be no way in PlayStore to put it onto a second device, or even to purchase it again to do so. That is problematic, as I don't take my tablet in the field. The second issue is that there seems to be no local help in the application, and the e-manual, while comprehensive, can't be downloaded, and I do occasionally work in areas where there is no coverage; having to go to the Net whenever I need some help is fairly clumsy. I shall persevere, as it is the tilt calculations I want to use with my LF cameras.

Drew Bedo
20-Jan-2019, 18:52
I must be developing an age related Ludite condition.

Aps for large format photography . . .A good bit of the fun for me is previsualizing the image and doing the work that will get the image on film. If there was an app that would let me see more clearly or focus more accurately, well maybe. But my eye doctor can't help so a smart phone app is unlikely to fix me up.

I suppose the level function or the calculator function would help, but I'd hate to drop the phone while juggling meter, loup and film holder with cold hands in a breeze. Already have a hardware store level I can afford to lose or break. Correction for bellows extension is head math and pretty much pre-figured.

Yeah . . .guess I just don't get it.

Roger Thoms
20-Jan-2019, 19:45
A freeApp: Sunny sixteen.

Can’t find it, do you have link. I did find Sunny16 which is $0.99 from Signature Software Ltd. look a little basic for most LF photographers. :)

Roger

atorger
21-Jan-2019, 00:51
I bought Lumariver today - it looks fairly useful once you get familiar with it. There are a couple of issues with it though. I used my tablet to purchase, and it downloaded successfully, but I really want to use it on my smartphone, and there seems to be no way in PlayStore to put it onto a second device, or even to purchase it again to do so. That is problematic, as I don't take my tablet in the field. The second issue is that there seems to be no local help in the application, and the e-manual, while comprehensive, can't be downloaded, and I do occasionally work in areas where there is no coverage; having to go to the Net whenever I need some help is fairly clumsy. I shall persevere, as it is the tilt calculations I want to use with my LF cameras.

Hello, author of Lumariver Profile Designer here. As far as I know if you install it on one device you should have access to it on another device for free, as long as logged in to the store with the same user, that is you should be able to have it on the tablet and phone at the same time, I know I have that myself :-). It's a while ago I worked with app stores though so I'm no better than anyone else in supporting on installation issues (it's separate from actually programming the app).

About the manual I haven't made any help inside the app, it would be nice to have but it didn't make it in there. As a workaround what you could do is to print the online manual to a PDF and then store it on the device. But I think you will find after you have set it up to your liking and used it a few times that you don't need the manual.

I think of this type of app as much of a learning tool. Ansel Adams et al were masters at technique, his most famous shot he did even without a light meter, but few of us photograph shoot in that volume to be that confident. Then having something to look at can be helpful, and during periods I shoot more often I find I don't need to look at the app as often. Before I used an app I used printed tables, well I still do as a complement as my phone may not have batteries all the time.

atorger
21-Jan-2019, 01:01
I must be developing an age related Ludite condition.

Aps for large format photography . . .A good bit of the fun for me is previsualizing the image and doing the work that will get the image on film. If there was an app that would let me see more clearly or focus more accurately, well maybe. But my eye doctor can't help so a smart phone app is unlikely to fix me up.

I suppose the level function or the calculator function would help, but I'd hate to drop the phone while juggling meter, loup and film holder with cold hands in a breeze. Already have a hardware store level I can afford to lose or break. Correction for bellows extension is head math and pretty much pre-figured.

Yeah . . .guess I just don't get it.

Heh, if you where a true luddite you wouldn't use a light meter either ;). A depth of field app is just an alternative/complement to printed depth of field tables, it won't get in the way of pre-visualization. What I find useful in addition to a depth of field app though is a viewfinder app to test compositions before mounting the camera, which is an alternative to a classic hardware viewfinder, which is an alternative to framing with your hands, which is an alternative to just see and get the composition without any aids whatsoever, and it does feel a bit like cheating :o, but I just don't shoot often enough to have the confidence and skill to make apps not useful. I do make sure that I can do without them as batteries etc, but I work slower without them.

pmviewcam
21-Jan-2019, 21:37
Solved both my issues. PlayStore allowed me to download and install Lumariver about 24 hours later. And Chrome has a download feature I hadn't seen before that got the e-manual for me (normally a Firefox user).

Drew, your point is well made and I usually wouldn't bother with such. I do use the smartphone for pinhole and reciprocity calculations, as well as a marvellous Android tool called The Photographer's Ephemeris which uses the GPS location to predict the direction of the sun and moon at any time during the day with respect to a current or future location.

Cheers, Peter.

Peter De Smidt
21-Jan-2019, 22:36
No one, of course, has to use any of this. If someone finds these things useful, why should others be bothered?

Drew Bedo
26-Jan-2019, 06:35
Peter:

The ephemeris does sound good. One of the trickiest outdoors images to get is the rising or setting sun in alignment with some significant object. I have done this in the past, but had to with observatiolns using a compass . . . .means you have to have two days of clear weather and get up well before the crack of dawn.

This app would allow a photographer to scout a location during the day of the intended sunset photo and be within feet of the exact position as the sun goes down. Sunrise shots could be scouted at any time the day before. Yeah, I can see myself doing that.

A great idea. Luddite converted.

Luis-F-S
26-Jan-2019, 07:30
Really? What’s an App? I use my brain and forty years of experience.

Manuparis
17-Nov-2019, 09:44
Hello

I can't find "holders" as an app. Doesn't exist anymore.

Is there an app that has the same functionalities ?

I posted a video showing some of the apps I use for large format photography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swxX_nn4VzU

I use three of them on every shot: Holders, Reciprocity Timer, and Mark II Artist's Viewfinder. I carry no notes in the field, so the Holders app is literally all I have to keep track of film and exposure. If my iPhone ever takes a swim I'm in big trouble.

Reciprocity Timer I've found to be extremely accurate. It matches manufacturer's recommendations for all the Fuji films I've tried. It has also been spot on for Kodak Ektar 100 which is quite impressive considering Kodak doesn't produce reciprocity info for this film. Also handy to have for Ilford Delta 100 because Ilford only produces their data in graph form without specific numbers. It's also handy to have for bellows and filter compensation, but I've found its greatest benefit is helping meter using the Zone System. I struggled for a while trying to figure out how to best meter for the ZS with my Sekonic 558, and here is what I've come up with. Let's say I meter the white water of a waterfall. I'll store this number in my meter and also input the number into the app. The meter's reading is my Zone V number. I usually place the water in Zone VIII so I'll use the app's "compensation" slider to add 3 stops. Next, I'll go back over the scene with my meter making sure all areas I want data in are no greater than 5 stops away from my original reading (5 stops away would be Zone III). I know this can be done in the meter, but the app helps keep everything clearer, especially when using a filter.

Last, the Viewfinder app was a complete game-changer for me. I can examine a scene so much better when I see it on a screen. This has allowed me to make better and faster compositions when scouting.

I know most of these apps have been mentioned before, but I thought it may be useful for some people to see them in use. Hope you enjoy.

Drew Bedo
21-Nov-2019, 14:29
I am a troglodyte. It would take away some of the "fun" for me to use a bunch of apps when creating images.

I guess I can see someone using a smart phone for calculations and technical reference. However the viewfinder app . . .

Look into the ground glass. The ground glass is truth.

jp0186
17-Jun-2020, 02:23
Yep. I think "Holders" is gone. When I switched phones it took all my data with it. I have not found anything that gives the same functionality out of the box but I am experimenting with the app GeneralDB. This is basically an SQL database on an iPhone that lets you define your own tables (e.g a table that contains all your holders) and queries (e.g. find all my empty holders). It takes a bit of experimenting but it comes with the added bonus that you can backup your data...

esearing
17-Jun-2020, 04:41
Timely revival of this thread. I have been teaching myself Python and Swift to expand my skills. The first thing I built was an exposure calculator for guessing exposure without a meter. Then I added in some additional features for adjustments for High/low key, Bellows factor, Filters, and reciprocity. I think I have the math worked out in python but need to rework it in swift and XCode to build the actual IOS app. I am thinking of adding device database for capturing the exposure calculation and notes. And as someone pointed out it would be nice to have a place to transfer the db entries to before your phone dies.

If you have a need for an APP that does not already exist post it here. Maybe some technically inclined person will build it for you.