PDA

View Full Version : Digital file to large negative

JoeRalat
9-Aug-2014, 20:31
Hello, I hope this is the right section to ask for some help. I am working on a file in Adobe illustrator and I want to make a large BW negative 60" long 25" high. That's just a rough size. I'm not too knowledgable about negatives. For the B&W negative everything in the artwork like the white background with black artwork would be inverted in the negative.

Just so I'm clear the negative would be black and anything with black artwork would be transparent. I live in NY and if someone can please help, I'm looking for company that can help me with that or anyone know please let me know. Thanks

richardman
9-Aug-2014, 20:36
What do you need the negative for? If you just want an inverted transparent print, then you can print on large transparent inkjet film.

It would even work if you want to somehow make contact prints out of that (but then you will need a compensation curve).

Jac@stafford.net
9-Aug-2014, 21:16
If it is strictly line art, then look at vinyl film printers.

It would be up to you to reverse the image before having the vinyl printed.

JoeRalat
10-Aug-2014, 02:15
The artwork is a cross section of a car with text. The artwork is solid black, I need a negative because my background which is white will be an opaque black and the black artwork will be transparent. I'm trying to find a service any where to help me print out large negative. If there are any companies in ny it would be better but anyone in the USA would be ok. Thanks

richardman
10-Aug-2014, 02:40
You are asking the wrong question. May be you don't know that the word "negative" has a very specific meaning to photographers. As far as I can tell, you are asking how/where to print on transparent materials of certain size, with certain colors inverted. If so, then it's relatively simple: you use Photoshop (if Illustrator cannot do it) and invert the colors in your image file, then you just need to google a service bureau that can print that size on transparency materials.

bob carnie
10-Aug-2014, 06:19
When do you need this negative for and are you on a budget??

Also will this be a one time purchase or do you see the need for more negs in the future.

I do make negs, but they are relatively expensive and for printing applications with silver.

JoeRalat
10-Aug-2014, 20:27
Yes a bit of a budget, I would like to get it this month.. I would like to get more. Please send me a price. If anyone has a suggestion of how to get a large film print with blacks that opaque and the artwork to be clear on the film.

Jim C.
11-Aug-2014, 06:24
Sounds like you're looking for a Kodalith, or Imagesetter output, you should try looking for pre press companies in NY.
Photobition was one, not sure if they can output a image setter negative as large as you want.

bob carnie
11-Aug-2014, 08:31
Not possible this month sorry.

Yes a bit of a budget, I would like to get it this month.. I would like to get more. Please send me a price. If anyone has a suggestion of how to get a large film print with blacks that opaque and the artwork to be clear on the film.

Jim Andrada
11-Aug-2014, 21:42
I think I'm not alone in trying to understand why you think you have a problem that needs to be solved. Invert the image in Photoshop, write out a PDF (or other) file and go to anyplace that can print on transparency material as large as you want.

richardman
12-Aug-2014, 00:10
I think I'm not alone in trying to understand why you think you have a problem that needs to be solved. Invert the image in Photoshop, write out a PDF (or other) file and go to anyplace that can print on transparency material as large as you want.

He doesn't even have the courtesy of acknowledging most people's answers. This seems to be one of those "oh my god, I am so under the gun, help me, help me now" people. *shrug*