PDA

View Full Version : Lens flare

mihag
8-Aug-2014, 13:12
The attached photo was taken on a cloudy day last winter, yet there is flare visible at the top of the image. I have used a Heliopan UV filter, the regular one (not multi-coated), the lens was the latest Schneider apo Symmar L 150. I must admit I wasn't expecting this to happen, my 35 SLR lenses would have coped better with such conditions. Since I'm new to LF I wonder if this is normal? Should I invest in a compedium, or shade the lens with the darkslide during exposure?

http://shrani.si/t/2Q/of/10ragnzR/flare.jpg (http://shrani.si/?2Q/of/10ragnzR/flare.jpg)

Thanks!

p.s you are looking at a cropped image showing approx. 1/4 of the original.

vinny
8-Aug-2014, 13:27
Compendium shade. No filter.

Jim Noel
8-Aug-2014, 13:31
I agree. The unshaded filter is probably the biggest culprit. A dark slide is better than nothing, but a properly used compendium can't be beat.

mihag
Compendium shade. No filter.

Sometimes a filter is needed.

djdister
It would be better if you had shown the entire frame. Could be lens flare, could be a light leak, could be some weird internal reflection.

mihag
8-Aug-2014, 13:39
Perhaps I should rephrase the question: Do you all shade at all times, even on a cloudy day?

vinny
8-Aug-2014, 14:16
Sometimes a filter is needed.

The only time I use a uv filter is when the lens is in danger from salt spray or blowing sand.
It's good practice to shad the lens at all times but newer multicoated glass handles flare much better than 50yr old optics.

mihag
8-Aug-2014, 14:28
Sorry guys, my mind plays tricks on me. Upon searching for the original It all came back to me; there was some sun peeking trough, which I have hidden behind the branches. I have two identical shots, one horizontal, one vertical, both showing some flare at the top. Given the conditions the lens and the filter behaved remakably well.
Thanks again and excuse the false alarm.

:o

Daniel Stone
8-Aug-2014, 20:12
Echoing what Vinny mentioned, I'd forego the use of a filter in all situations (unless) there is potential for damaging the front element(blowing sand, water spray, etc.)
A compendium shade(properly used!) is probably the best option you can use, even in the field.
LEE makes a very nice one

-Dan

Leszek Vogt
9-Aug-2014, 03:58
Perhaps I should rephrase the question: Do you all shade at all times, even on a cloudy day?

Yes, at least I do. The light can still bounce around without the shade in place. Unless you are after a specific filter effect, installing any sort of glass [and I have a high respect for Heliopan] in the front of your lens will likely reduce the quality of the image.

Les