PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Maryland

Pali K
6-Aug-2014, 20:46
Hello everyone,

I have been shooting for a long time but ventured into film about 5 years ago and absolutely fell in love with it. I have always been fascinated with large format but found it intimidating and stayed away. All of that changed recently when I saw a deal on Craigslist for a 4x5 Sinar Norma that I knew nothing about. I decided to see the camera just for fun and instantly fell in love with it and had to walk away with it. It came with a Samson Hercules tripod which is equally as amazing as the camera. I have spent many hours cleaning and patching the bellows to recently have the opportunity to shoot with it and boy was it fun!

Long story short - I am in love but have SO much to learn. I have been lurking here as a viewer for about a week and there is so much great information here.

If you're interested, you can see my 1.5 week long venture into large format on my tumblr at http://tumblr.netsoft2k.com.

Looking forward to learning from everyone here.

Pali

Alan Gales
8-Aug-2014, 17:00
Welcome to the forum, Pali. A Sinar Norma is a fine camera for a beginner or the accomplished large format photographer.

Be sure to check out the LF Home Page for a lot of useful information.

Alan

Tim Meisburger
8-Aug-2014, 18:32
Welcome to the forum!

Pali K
9-Aug-2014, 04:34
Thank you Alan and Tim.

John Kasaian
12-Aug-2014, 07:15
Welcome aboard!

hmf
13-Aug-2014, 17:29
I never thought I'd find out who beat me to that Norma! I called on it but then had to leave town for a few days. By the time I got back, it was gone :-(
Oh, well. I hope you enjoy shooting with it; it looks like a beauty.

Pali K
13-Aug-2014, 17:49
I never thought I'd find out who beat me to that Norma! I called on it but then had to leave town for a few days. By the time I got back, it was gone :-(
Oh, well. I hope you enjoy shooting with it; it looks like a beauty.

Oh wow - that's amazing and sorry about doing this to you! I can't tell you how many times something very similar has happened to me and this camera itself has come with it's share of ups and downs - all documented in this post here (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?115577-Shutter-Problems-Kodak-Ektar-152mm-with-Graphic-Supermatic-X-Shutter") :)

I have had to do serious work on it and it's still not perfect but slowly getting there.