PDA

View Full Version : Super Chromega D head on a D2V enlarger ?

Jim C.
2-Aug-2014, 21:40
Aside from having GAS lately, I've been toying with the idea
of doing color enlargements. Just wondering whether or not a
Super Chromega D head would fit on a older D2 variable condenser
enlarger with the correct lifting arms ?

dsphotog
2-Aug-2014, 23:35
Yep, bolts right on, be sure you get the power supply with the head.

ic-racer
3-Aug-2014, 05:43
You need longer rods for the lift arms. USA hardware stores have the 3/8" rod. You need a hacksaw and SAE Allen wrench and two 3/8" locking collars.

Jim C.
3-Aug-2014, 12:31
Thanks all for confirming, now to convince myself that I DO need to do color enlargements :)

HMG
3-Aug-2014, 18:56
When buying color head, make sure the filters (inside) are in good shape. Occasionally get broken. Also, there are typically 2 mixing chambers (6x6 and 4x5 I think); make sure you have both or at least have the 4x5 chamber.

dsphotog
3-Aug-2014, 19:25
Thanks all for confirming, now to convince myself that I DO need to do color enlargements :)

Works great for printing on variable contrast B&W paper too!

Jim C.
20-Aug-2014, 15:21
Right, so I'm a proud owner of a nice late model ( all black ) Super Chromega head, filters are good,
came with Mixing chambers and a Power supply and the regulator too bad it didn't come with the
associated timer that would make it a complete 'Power Tower".

Seems I need to use the timer to get the halogen lamp to turn on, most manuals online are iffy
in the use of the power supply, not to mention a glaring omission in all the manuals on
calibrating the numerical dials. Found that info here fortunately.

Is there a way to use my existing E-99 Omega timer with the power supply
or should I start looking for a Chromegatrol ?

Drew Wiley
20-Aug-2014, 15:52
I just use a Gralab timer with one (not the old style Gralab with luminous clock hands, but the pushbutton LED type). Sometimes that colorhead might print too fast
with some of these RA4 papers, so there's a welcome 'Lo' and well as "High" illumination setting on the colorhead itself.

ic-racer
20-Aug-2014, 16:15
The timer you use has to pass the 120V through its circuit. The dichroic lamp's transformer is powered directly through the timer input plug, so plug the timer output into the 'from timer' plug on the power supply. The Omega timer had a nifty short extension cord for this purpose, but you can use any extension cord or make a custom short one.

Jim C.
20-Aug-2014, 20:45
Drew, I'm over my GAS attack no more equipment for a while, but an 8x10 Elwood I'll make an exception for ;)

ic-racer, thanks for the help, mine came with an odd pig tail, 3 flat blade in a female shroud to a normal 3 prong female
must have been another part to that. In either case, found some extensions cords and all is well.

Now it's onto paper and chemicals....