PDA

View Full Version : a short 112mm lens hood?

Robert_4837
8-Nov-2004, 22:41
I require a screw-in 112mm lens hood. There are loads of these on the 35mm camera market because it seems that many 300mm f2.8 lenses have a front filter diameter of 112mm.

However, I need a lens hood that is considerably less bulky than those normally seen on a 300mm telephoto. Those that I have seen (for Canon, Tokina, etc 300mm optics) are usually around 15cm in length. I require a lens hood closer to around 7 or 8cm.

Does anyone know where I might find such an item? Heliopan? Do they have a website, as they may be a good place to start looking?

Frank Petronio
9-Nov-2004, 05:48
Take a bandsaw and sandpaper to a longer hood?

Bob Salomon
9-Nov-2004, 07:06
Heliopan only makes a long 112 metal hood. They do not make either the short metal or the rubber hood in 112mm.

You could take the long metal hood and have a machinist mill it down to the length you need. Or you could possibly use either the 105mm short metal or rubber hood or the 122mm short metal hood and use an adapter ring. In both cases it would have to be a custom adapter ring although Photomark in Phoenix has been ordering the 112 to 105mm step down ring for store stock.

Robert_4837
10-Nov-2004, 15:43
A special note to Bob Salomon to say thank you for your helpful words. I believe I will use the short metal 122mm hood with a step-up ring.

Two questions: does Heliopan have a website I can see the hood and step-up ring on, and are you the same Bob who was photographed by leading L.A. photographer Gary Bernstein?

Bob Salomon
10-Nov-2004, 16:42
No the hood is not illustrated on the web site but is simply a straight metal hood with female threads inside the tube that act as baffles.

I sold Gary Rollei studio flash units for his first studio in NY when he first went out on his own after being Monte Zucker's assistant. But that was about 30 years ago and he may well have taken a picture of me then or when he was with Monte but not while he is in LA. I am not specifically aware of his taking a picture of me though.