PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Bi extension rail troubles

phr88
28-Jul-2014, 16:52
Hello,
Need help with attaching an Linhof extension rail to a Kardan Bi which I picked up this year. Are there more than one type out there?
Have what I thought was a universal extension rail but it looks just like the original-mono rail on the 4x5 Bi. Is there a coupling device I need or an entirely different rail out there for extending the original rail? Attached is a jpeg of the second rail which ends in a threaded protrusion. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Teodor Oprean
29-Jul-2014, 03:51
That is the base rail. The extension rails have an internal rod that screws into the base rail at one end.

phr88
29-Jul-2014, 09:42
Thanks Teodor, really appreciate the quick reply-that is what I thought. Will be on the lookout for one of these.

Bob Salomon
29-Jul-2014, 09:54
Thanks Teodor, really appreciate the quick reply-that is what I thought. Will be on the lookout for one of these.

Please bear in mind. Linhof has not made anything that mounts to the rail of the B or the original Super Color in many, many years. That means rail extensions, rail end clamps, rail clamp or auxiliary standard.

All accessories that mount to the standards of the B and the original Super Color are the same as the accessories that mount to the current Kardan cameras. This includes lens boards, compendiums, viewing accessories, accessory rise extensions, ground glasses and Fresnel screens.

After the B was discontinued Linhof changed the position of the rear posts on the back and moved them forward so when you did a center tilt on the older cameras, with the back in landscape position, the dark slide was obstruted by the rear upright and, if shooting Polaroid, the back needed to be moved reward. So Linhof made what was called a POLAROID SPACER which fit between the ground glass back and the back of the camera. This piece has been unavailable also for at least 20 years.

So, if you need rails, rail parts, auxiliary standard or that spacer they are only available used.