PDA

View Full Version : Spiked tripod feet on hard/smooth surfaces

Randy
28-Jul-2014, 07:46
Am guessing this has been addressed but I can't find it in a thread anywhere - I have an old Zone VI tripod that I use for my 8X10, and it has the spiked feet. Just looking for some DIY ideas for covering the spikes when I want to set up on the sidewalk, parking lot, or the occasional wood floor.

DannL
28-Jul-2014, 08:18
My old wooden tripods have those rubber ends that you would normally place on the ends of metal table legs or chair legs.

Similar to these . . . Bar Stool Rubber tips (http://www.usmarkerboard.com/i/CRUTCHTIP-1-Diameter-Heavy-Rubber-Tip/146073?gclid=CP3p6oam6L8CFWho7AodU00AeQ)

or these . . . Chair Feet Ferrules (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-RUBBER-CHAIR-FEET-FERRULES-FERRULE-LEG-FLOOR-PROTECTION-WALKING-STICK-END-/170873821106)

Most hardware stores would have them, I suspect. You just need to find a size that fits, and that stays put.

Bruce Barlow
28-Jul-2014, 08:45
I have three small pieces of remnant carpet that I toss under the spikeys. Works fine.

Mark Woods
28-Jul-2014, 09:31
Buy a spreader. It's common in the film industry. Old schoolers would use a piece of carpet, but the points can go through.

Vaughn
28-Jul-2014, 09:39
Nice sharp spikes work great on concrete/pavement. Work great on wood floors, too, but be prepared for a fast exit when the floor's owner shows up! LOL!

Peter Gomena
28-Jul-2014, 09:54
I use rubber bar stool or chair tips on my Zone VI, crutch tips work too. I put a blob of poster putty inside to help fill in the space around the tips and then use some Gorilla Tape to secure the tops to the metal above the tip. Works fine.

I attended Fred Picker's Zone VI Workshop many years ago. Fred demonstrated the tripod on a wooden stage by stepping on the metal loop near the tip and driving it into the wood. Nice and secure, yes, but likely to tick off the owner of any wooden floor you might encounter.

Drew Wiley
28-Jul-2014, 09:55
A set of rubber caster cups, the non-slip kind.

Jac@stafford.net
28-Jul-2014, 10:27
I have an old Zone VI tripod that I use for my 8X10, and it has the spiked feet. Just looking for some DIY ideas for covering the spikes

The very large Zone VI tripod's spikes are very aggressive, originally intended as earth anchors and can knife right through the plastic or rubber caps used for furniture. They are screwed into steel end caps of the legs., and can be unscrewed using a long socket or an open-end wrench.

If I recall properly they use a 3/8" X 16 bolt, available in any good hardware store. The bolt head will not penetrate furniture caps. Screw them in, then use the furniture caps over each.

Your Zone VI 'pod might be different.

I can provide pictures if you wish.

Heroique
28-Jul-2014, 10:49
Sure, you can visit a hardware store and spend a little for a clever fix.

But why not go ahead and get a Ries w/ reversible spiked legs?

You know you want it. You can find a way. I know you can!

-----
Below, a Ries J600 being assembled for use on a nice floor, spikes up please!

DannL
28-Jul-2014, 11:24
Tennis balls! ;)

Drew Wiley
28-Jul-2014, 11:26
I always wear an old pair of hob-nailed climbing boots on nicely varnished floors anyway - that way I won't slip and they won't blame the tripod spikes. But otherwise, I too use the reversible leg Ries J tripod, though it's not really heavy enough for my 8x10 system per se. The ole Zone VI tripod was just a modified
relatively cheap survey tripod. Mine would freeze up (literally) in cold rain, so I gave it away to a wannabee astronomer.

Mark Woods
28-Jul-2014, 11:34
I have the Ries, along with some other tripods, and it works great. Just more pieces to keep track of.

Jac@stafford.net
28-Jul-2014, 15:18

But why not go ahead and get a Ries w/ reversible spiked legs?!

Uh, money? Replacing the killer spikes would cost maybe $6.

Heroique
28-Jul-2014, 15:27
Jac, you missed the third sentence, so I'll re-append it here:

But why not go ahead and get a Ries w/ reversible spiked legs?

You know you want it. You can find a way. I know you can!

Let's just say that Ries owners know it's about more than money! ;^)

Jerry Bodine
28-Jul-2014, 16:30
Randy, this may give you some ideas. I have an old Linhof tripod model that has both spikes AND rubber tips built in. It's a little hard to see the details of the arrangement in the attached pic, but it's simply a matter of a threaded stem on the short spike with a thick rubber sleeve that can be spun down to cover the spike when needed. The sleeve has an internally threaded bushing bonded into it.

Jac@stafford.net
28-Jul-2014, 16:39
Jac, you missed the third sentence, so [...]

Me gosh sometimes, nay most of the time I am an idiot.

kmack
28-Jul-2014, 17:17
I cut three 1/2" plywood squares about 4" to a side. I drilled a 3/8 inch hole halfway through each. I tied them together with 1/4" paracord. Works great on concrete or wood.

Randy
28-Jul-2014, 21:18
Thanks for the great ideas all.

Jim Jones
29-Jul-2014, 05:38
I cut three 1/2" plywood squares about 4" to a side. I drilled a 3/8 inch hole halfway through each. I tied them together with 1/4" paracord. Works great on concrete or wood.

I hadn't thought of the paracord. Great idea for tripods with unrestricted spread. Thin rubber gasket glued on the bottoms of the squares might also be reassuring to owners of fine wood floors.

Jac@stafford.net
29-Jul-2014, 10:42
I hadn't thought of the paracord. [...]

With gaffers tape and paracord we could hold the world together.
--

Peter Gomena
29-Jul-2014, 10:53
Some crutch tips have a metal washer in the bottom that will stop those spikes.

John Olsen
29-Jul-2014, 18:37
Shooting interiors at La Scala grill in Albuquerque, the tile floor was so greasy that the tripod slid every time you looked at it. Rubber pads, as for unscrewing lids, work well to stop the slides. Failing that, you might have to actually clean the place. Makes you wonder about your next dining experience.

ericpmoss
1-Aug-2014, 18:37
Probably not as good a solution as the others, but these are shaped and sized for the task:

http://www.rei.com/search?query=trekking+pole+tips

vinny
1-Aug-2014, 20:55
blunt tip arrow heads:http://www.cabelas.com/product/Vista-Rubber-Blunts/1578238.uts?productVariantId=3474140&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=33-324606903-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03661416&rid=40