PDA

View Full Version : Workflow question

Tobywan
19-Jul-2014, 13:45
I have gotten back into large format after a 40 year absence and have a question. I take 2 exposures of every scene in case there is a problem and after developing the first exposure, if I am happy with it, what do I do with the other exposure? Do most of you 1) keep the undeveloped exposure. 2) develop it anyway or 3) throw it away?

Kirk Gittings
19-Jul-2014, 13:52
Keep it. There are other possible ways to destroy/damage the neg down the line, drop it in the dark and step on it trying to find it, floods, misfiling a neg after printing it etc. etc.

Alan Gales
19-Jul-2014, 15:04
I agree with Kirk.

http://www.murphys-laws.com/murphy/murphy-laws.html

Preston
19-Jul-2014, 16:03
Third vote for 'keep it'.

Since you have two negs of the same setup/exposure, develop them separately. After looking at the first one, you could then do a different development on the second sheet, if needed or desired.

Murphy's Law #xxx: The probability that a negative will land emulsion side down on a dirty floor is directly proportional to the size of the film.

Murphy's Law #xxxx: The probability that a negative will land emulsion side down on a dirty floor is directly proportional to the value of the neg.

--P

Kirk Gittings
19-Jul-2014, 18:28
Third vote for 'keep it'.

Since you have two negs of the same setup/exposure, develop them separately. After looking at the first one, you could then do a different development on the second sheet, if needed or desired.

Murphy's Law #xxx: The probability that a negative will land emulsion side down on a dirty floor is directly proportional to the size of the film.

Murphy's Law #xxxx: The probability that a negative will land emulsion side down on a dirty floor is directly proportional to the value of the neg.

--P

:)

Bruce Osgood
19-Jul-2014, 19:06
If #1 is the keeper, I would save #2 and wonder about an alternative development method to try some day.

Leigh
19-Jul-2014, 19:35
For identical exposures, I develop all of holder side As first to completion, i.e. dry and ready to file.
Then I develop all the side Bs similarly. I keep one set at home, the other at the office.

Many of my less-interesting or experimental shots are each slightly different, like exposure or filtration.
I still do all the side As first, then all the side Bs, but keep them together since loss is not a real concern.

- Leigh

Tobywan
21-Jul-2014, 07:31
Thanks, everyone.

Flauvius
21-Jul-2014, 15:59
Kirk:

If you want to "think for a while" about alternative forms of development, how do you keep track of your undeveloped negatives?

Flauvius

Kirk Gittings
23-Jul-2014, 21:02
Hmmm I don't. If the first is perfect I do the second the same. if not I tweak it but never keep them around thinking about what to do. Wouldn't work for me.