PDA

View Full Version : Durst-Pro-USA EST1500N Power Supply, does anyone have experience with one?

Daniel Stone
17-Jul-2014, 19:57
Hey all,

Does anyone have experience with the Durst-Pro-USA made EST1500N power supply?
http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/power_supply.php

I'm looking at a Durst 1200 w/ a CLS501 colorhead for sale locally, but I believe that the power supply/transformer box is fried. Seller doesn't know, and isn't being super helpful in terms of working with me to find a solution(well what's new ;)?).

Anyhow, at close to $1000 for the power supply alone, I'm just wondering if there's a potential way to re-wire, and or bypass the original need have this box in the first place? Something along the line of running a simple switch to a 250W Halogen outlet? That way I could simply "plug it in", as the filtration adjustments are fully manual, no controller box for the filter assembly.
I'm NOT looking to "go cheap", as I've always found that going cheap gets me exactly that: cheap results that don't last for long.

**Please, if we can, I'm aware of multiple instances from folks here on the forum that have had bad experiences with Jens/DPUSA. I'm simply asking about this unit and its build quality.***
If I were to purchase one, I'd probably do a road trip up to Oregon to pick it up in-person. Might as well do some shooting in the process :)!

thx,
Dan

Leigh
17-Jul-2014, 21:04
Hi Dan,

By far the most common problem with any vintage power supply, regardless of its purpose, is bad electrolytic capacitors. Those deteriorate with age, particularly if a unit sits unused for more than a year.

When they fail they usually short. This should blow the fuse without causing any damage to other components.

The proper corrective action is to replace them with modern capacitors, which are readily available.

- Leigh

Daniel Stone
17-Jul-2014, 21:21
Hey Leigh,

Ok, when I spoke with Jens yesterday, he mentioned that the original power supplies/transformers had a somewhat "finite" lifespan of 7-8yrs generally. Mostly linked to faulty components and/or cheap(ish) build quality(especially on later ones, where they simply used late 70's style circuit boards(those caramel colored ones) when they could have redesigned the units to be more robust.

Give or take, I'm going off memory of what he told me here ;)

Also, I have ZERO experience working with electronics, especially capacitors, etc.. I'm a user, but love learning about stuff like this. However, I don't really have anyone around who is well versed in this kind of stuff, at least readily at-hand w/ a free and easy schedule :)

-Dan

Leigh
17-Jul-2014, 21:29
Hi Dan,

Well, I'm certainly experienced, having been involved with radios and associated equipment for over 60 years.
And I've designed such stuff for almost 50 years.

Older electronic gear, even consumer grade, can last many decades.
I have working radios here that were manufactured in the 1920s (having undergone modern restoration).

As I mentioned, capacitors account for over 90% of the component failures in older gear.

I expect his 7-8 year lifespan was based on (possibly under-rated) capacitor failures.
That's awfully short for any modern equipment.

I'm familiar with a lot of industrial electronics more than 50 years old that still works as new.

- Leigh

Daniel Stone
17-Jul-2014, 22:18
Hi Leigh,

So what is it you're suggesting? I'm not really in the position time-wise to tinker around with things, I was hoping that it would have been a "plug and play" type deal, as I've been looking for one of these enlargers for awhile now(well, preferably a bench DeVere 504 w/ colorhead, but the Durst was second. Anyhow, I might keep looking, as it'd just be going into storage right now.

But I'm still interested in finding out/hearing about anyone's experience with the newer D.P.USA 1500N power supply.
And Leigh, thanks for your help and informative assistance :). Just wish that my brain could understand electronics, unfortunately I'm not "wired" that way ;)!

-Dan

Cor
18-Jul-2014, 01:22
Sorry to diverge your thread a bit, Dan, but...

Leigh: I have this CLS 500 Colour head plus (I guess, not at home right now) a TRA 500 trafo. It's for my Laborator 1200, on which I almost always use a Photocrescenta lamp and condensors.

So that CS500 is sitting on the shelf for years now.

Do I understand you correctly that I should put current over said transformator/power supply to revive the capacitors, just like people advice for strobe heads ?

Thanks,

Best,

Cor

Hi Dan,

Well, I'm certainly experienced, having been involved with radios and associated equipment for over 60 years.
And I've designed such stuff for almost 50 years.

Older electronic gear, even consumer grade, can last many decades.
I have working radios here that were manufactured in the 1920s (having undergone modern restoration).

As I mentioned, capacitors account for over 90% of the component failures in older gear.

I expect his 7-8 year lifespan was based on (possibly under-rated) capacitor failures.
That's awfully short for any modern equipment.

I'm familiar with a lot of industrial electronics more than 50 years old that still works as new.

- Leigh

Drew Wiley
18-Jul-2014, 08:29
I've always done my own power supply substitutions when needed, Daniel. But I do have some past experience with Jens at Durst Pro, and so have a number of others on this forum. I'm sure he'll be happy to take your money. Whether you get anything in return is a different subject.

Drew Wiley
18-Jul-2014, 08:33
I've always done my own power supply substitutions when needed, Daniel. But I do have some past experience with Jens at Durst Pro, and so have a number of others on this forum. I'm sure he'll be happy to take your money. Whether you get anything in return is a different subject. I drove to Oregon myself to deal with
him. He knows his stuff and is capable of making excellent accessories. But he's always got some kind of hook in the bait. An alternative is to find some serious local electronics store that caters to Gyro Gearloose types (not Radio Shack) and ask around for someone who knows how to tinker with such things.

Leigh
18-Jul-2014, 12:18
My point was that if it's experienced a failure, any decent repair tech should be able to correct that at a cost significantly less than for a replacement unit.

Unfortunately, the 21st Century mindset is if something quits, buy a new one.
That wastes a huge amount of consumer $ while increasing profits for the manufacturers.

It also argues strongly for producing junk that fails every couple of years, so they can sell new stuff.

- Leigh

scott palmer
6-Mar-2024, 13:31
Hey Leigh, I realize this is a very old thread now, but you sound like the guy to ask: Can the EST1500N run on U.S. 220? I understand the 50/60Hz issue, but I read somewhere that most Durst equipment was designed to run on either Hz rating. Additionally, after reading your contributions, I'm also now thinking I should do an upgrade on the 1500. I know electronics (building tube amplifiers), so the work would be relatively easy, but your doubt about the build quality suggests that may be where to start. My problem, which I just posted on another thread, is my step-up transformer, a 3000 watt unit, can't keep up with the 1500 and keeps popping its breaker. Now I'm thinking the problem may be in the 1500. The guy who originally bought the unit from Jens said he could never get it to run at top voltage. It starts to vibrate and howl, then trips the breaker. Maybe it was defective from the distributor. Any thoughts?

ic-racer
6-Mar-2024, 16:00
Leigh---not seen since 2019

Only Durst made EST1500N. Too bad Jens called his the same thing as they are totally different. It won't match any Durst schematic.

A while back I did go on an adventure to reverse engineer his "EST1500N" based on pictures I obtained from an owner here who had one that also would not work correctly. Don't know if he ever got his fixed. (was it you?)
I was going to build one for myself. I found sources for the f-series 175 filter, NTE168 rectifier, IDEC RH series relays, Amperite delay relay, PSR-25 AC Control module, and other components used in the device.

Never did get around to building one myself, though as I have two Durst originals that work and also have the Durst service manual and all the Durst schematics to keep them running.

Too bad there is no schematic or service manual for Jens device.

angusparker
6-Mar-2024, 17:46
My experience is the EST 500 version for the CLS 500 is more susceptible to problems than the DURST TRA 500 transformer (older design?) for the CLS 500. I have had the fuse blow once - it's in the back behind a small plastic circle. Replace the fuse before you do anything else - that may well solve your problem. If not keep your eyes out for a Durst TRA 500 on the auction site. Then buy a backup!

Sal Santamaura
7-Mar-2024, 08:39
Leigh---not seen since 2019...

Leigh is no longer alive.