PDA

View Full Version : Arca Swiss expanding/telescopic rails

David Roossien
5-Nov-2004, 10:08
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in the 40cm, 50cm or 80cm expanding/telescopic rails, but I think the Arca literature only lists the compacted length. Does anyone know the maximum extensions of these rails?

Thank you,

Dave

Ken Lee
5-Nov-2004, 11:24
See Precision Camera Works (http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/Pages/arca_core.html" target="_blank)

Scott Atkinson
5-Nov-2004, 17:03
Generally, I think they're designed to go out again about half their compacted length--so 40 becomes 60, etc. The split upper rails each hang out over the front and back, respectively, by half their lengths, to get you that extra extension. In practice, my 30 rail goes a little further--enough to accommodate my 450 Fuji--but you're right at the edges of what you can lock down at that point.

David Roossien
5-Nov-2004, 18:39
Thanks Scott--that confirms my guess. Figuring 1/2 more than the length is probably the closest I'm going to get. I've been to B&H, emailed Badger, Tom Westbrook's website, searched Precision's website and read the PDF file, but its been tough to come by exact numbers for these things...

Glenn Kroeger
6-Nov-2004, 07:07
David:

When you have Arca-Swiss questions, the best way to get authoritative answers is to contact Rod Klukas at Photomark in Phoenix. He lives this stuff.

David Roossien
6-Nov-2004, 11:17
Thanks! Next time I will give that a try.