PDA

View Full Version : Phoney Shadow Member on Login?

tgtaylor
13-Jul-2014, 10:31
I have been noticing that a "Taylor" has been logging-in shortly after I log in although Taylor's login time is always listed as having occurred a few minutes after mine. Taylor does not appear in the member roster and emails sent are not sent and are not recorded as being sent. Here is a link to Taylor (if it works): http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/member.php?9603-taylor

What's the story here?

Thomas

Wayne
13-Jul-2014, 12:19
Ooooh, he's been shadowing you for 8 years. <insert twilight zone music>

I wonder if you made that account 8 years ago, forgot, but the system noted your IP and says you're active when it sees you again. Either that or something MUCH more fascinating.

tgtaylor
13-Jul-2014, 16:17
Ooooh, he's been shadowing you for 8 years. <insert twilight zone music>

I wonder if you made that account 8 years ago, forgot, but the system noted your IP and says you're active when it sees you again. Either that or something MUCH more fascinating.

Back then I would have had a completely different IP address.

Thomas

Wayne
13-Jul-2014, 16:44
Yeah but...don't you think the NSA knows that? ;-)

tgtaylor
13-Jul-2014, 16:58
Ooooo - I didn't think of that!

Thomas

Ralph Barker
14-Jul-2014, 06:39
My guess is that "taylor" may live in the same geographic/time-zone area and may have a similar free-time schedule. (I'm sure that no one logs in during work hours. ;-) )

tgtaylor
15-Jul-2014, 09:53
Highly unlikely. Can't the moderators check and see if this is a real forum member? Sure doesn't appear to be.

Thomas

BrianShaw
15-Jul-2014, 10:01
Weird. Today his last activity was 2 minutes before your last activity. Maybe "Taylor" is a premonition of what you are about to say..

BrianShaw
15-Jul-2014, 10:04
Maybe I'm wrong. When I look again, you are still here and Taylor is now gone. Or did you stop thinking for a moment?

tgtaylor
15-Jul-2014, 10:05
When I logged on this morning I immediately checked to see if he was listed in the online section and he wasn't until a few moments later.

Thomas

Kirk Gittings
15-Jul-2014, 10:20
taylor is still there.......

Kirk Gittings
15-Jul-2014, 10:20
Have you sent him an email?

ROL
15-Jul-2014, 10:24
I'm jealous. Nobody wants to be me.:(

tgtaylor
15-Jul-2014, 10:27
Have you sent him an email?

I did on two separate occasions but the email is apparently not sent and not listed as being sent in my out box.

Thomas

BrianShaw
15-Jul-2014, 10:27
I'm jealous. Nobody wants to be me.:(

I do, but you probably wouldn't want me to.

ROL
15-Jul-2014, 10:28
I do, but you probably wouldn't want me to.

:).

djdister
15-Jul-2014, 10:29
When I logged on this morning I immediately checked to see if he was listed in the online section and he wasn't until a few moments later.

Thomas

Do you use Tapatalk when interacting with the LF forum, or a normal web browser?

tgtaylor
15-Jul-2014, 10:35
Normal web browser.

Thomas

Brian C. Miller
15-Jul-2014, 10:38
I have been noticing that a "Taylor" has been logging-in shortly after I log in ...

To paraphrase Elvis,
"A little less paranoia,
A little more photos please"

Since Taylor hasn't posted a thing, does it really matter?

I've read a few stories and seen a few films where someone gets obsessed with a doppelganger. If "tgtaylor" were listed twice, and you saw posts that you couldn't account for, etc., then that's something to worry about. But since it's just a name in the list, why worry? "Don't worry, be happy..."

taulen
15-Jul-2014, 10:40
I guess mods can find out whats going on here by checking IP's, email used for registration and similar.
But yeah, really strange actually.

Ralph Barker
16-Jul-2014, 05:04
Highly unlikely. Can't the moderators check and see if this is a real forum member? Sure doesn't appear to be.

Thomas

I did, prior to posting earlier. A "real forum member" is an entity capable of registering and logging in. We can't certify much of anything about anyone beyond that. ;-)

He is not in your geographic area, as it turns out, but could easily have a "free time" schedule that closely matches yours and hundreds of others.

We can't control who accesses the forum, only those who can post here.

Greg Miller
16-Jul-2014, 07:16
Taylor was active today at 10:09. tgtayor hasn't been active since 4:15. Taylor is probably just an active lurker that is on the site looking around a lot. That would explain any similarities in activity time between the two accounts. This is all just a normal coincidence. But given that taylor is such an uncommon name, that surely can't be the case ;)

ROL
16-Jul-2014, 08:19
Funny, Taylor is such an uncommon name, too.:rolleyes: Seems like a good argument for choosing a unique "handle" when participating in wide ranging internet forums.

Brassai
17-Jul-2014, 19:28
When I was walking down the stair
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today,
I wish I wish he'd go away!

Hughes Mearns, 1899

marfa boomboom tx
18-Jul-2014, 05:23
Alternate reason for "unlisted" service, or self declaration by name choice.

No need for a sig when ur handle is the mnemonic.

RL: not the clothing designer

jnantz
18-Jul-2014, 05:31
doppelgängers can be a lot of fun ...

i went to a restaurant years ago and was asked to leave after few minutes
the " bouncer" came up to me and said ' i told you the last time you were here i didn't want you to come back'
i had never been there before ...

good luck thomas

john!

BrianShaw
18-Jul-2014, 06:41
doppelgängers can be a lot of fun ...

Indeed. Been in similar situation a few times. Makes me think about changing my name at times.

Kirk Gittings
18-Jul-2014, 08:16
Those pesky doppelgängers and zombies are always popping up when I least expect them. They make my life miserable out in the field photographing sometimes........I don't like people in my landscapes-especially dead ones or ones that look like me.

ROL
18-Jul-2014, 09:16
I don't like people in my landscapes-especially dead ones or ones that look like me.

Oh, I don't know. I think your avatar pix are getting better and better – color and everything. Is that new headshot theatrical or commercial?:D

Kirk Gittings
18-Jul-2014, 09:20
Its the kinder gentler aging me.....:)

Brassai
18-Jul-2014, 20:06
Indeed. Been in similar situation a few times. Makes me think about changing my name at times.

Change it to "Taylor." That way we're at least talking about a real person.

rdenney
19-Jul-2014, 17:20
Its the kinder gentler aging me.....:)

Ha! I always thought the old one was a little severe, and then after we had breakfast together I was sure of it.

Rick "getting more obnoxious with age, unlike Kirk" Denney

Kirk Gittings
19-Jul-2014, 17:22
:).......

Ralph Barker
19-Jul-2014, 21:16
Don't worry, Kirk. It's likely that you'll eventually become grumpy again. You can trust me on this. ;-)

Kirk Gittings
19-Jul-2014, 21:20
:).....

goamules
20-Jul-2014, 17:14
To the OP, by pointing out this obvious coincidence, you summons copycat shadows, who will be watching your every move, logging when you do, and not posting anything. AAAAAEEEEEHHHHH!

tgtaylor
20-Jul-2014, 21:17
Can't even add the sucker as a "friend."

Thomas

tgtaylor
30-Jul-2014, 09:44
bump

BrianShaw
30-Jul-2014, 10:12
Maybe we should all chip in and offer a reward for "taylor" to post something. Isn't it interesting that someone could be lurking since 2006?

goamules
31-Jul-2014, 08:15
Probably just checks in to see the classified items.