PDA

View Full Version : Just write "SOLD"

Peter Collins
12-Jul-2014, 17:58
I belong to another forum with a For Sale feature. There, when an item is sold, the seller deletes the title (e.g., FS: Tacking Iron) and writes "SOLD."

This permits the moderators to delete all such posts, keeping that part of the forum manageable.

Just a thought....

Peter

jbenedict
12-Jul-2014, 18:03
I would prefer that the completed sales remain on the board. It's good to be able to judge price trends over a six/eight month period of time to know what a "fair price" might be based on recent sales. This benefits both buyer and seller.

The seller should always post that an item was sold but I'd like the listing and subject line remain.

Randy Moe
12-Jul-2014, 18:17
Pretty sure mods want as little as possible to do with FS sections, and don't need another thankless job.

Let it be as is, and history is a good thing.

Leigh
12-Jul-2014, 19:58
Let it be as is, and history is a good thing.
+2

Deleting completed sales benefits noone but future sellers, depriving buyers of the ability to check price history.

- Leigh

Jim C.
12-Jul-2014, 20:59
Marking the item sold is good, but not deleting the post, the pictures if any are a great resource.

Ralph Barker
12-Jul-2014, 21:05
The preference here is for the seller to post a follow-up indicating the item has been sold. Allowing sellers (the thread creator) to edit the initial post can get messy.

Fred L
13-Jul-2014, 08:24
Yup, mark as SOLD but keep the post. Often times it's a wealth of information as people chime in so is a great resource.

Preston
13-Jul-2014, 09:40
Although I haven't purchased from a forum member in quite a while, I still look at the threads to see what's up. Keeping all the threads open as a resource gets my vote.

Question for Ralph: Is there a way to add a permission so that the OP can add the word, "Sold" to the thread title without being able to edit his original ad?

This would atert us that the item has been sold without having to read all the replies.

Thanks,

--P

Ralph Barker
14-Jul-2014, 06:44
Question for Ralph: Is there a way to add a permission so that the OP can add the word, "Sold" to the thread title without being able to edit his original ad?

This would atert us that the item has been sold without having to read all the replies.

Thanks,

--P

I don't believe so, but I'm not a vBulletin guru.

Preston
14-Jul-2014, 16:14
Thanks, Ralph.

I thought that was so. I'm no coder, either.

--P

Randy Moe
14-Jul-2014, 17:02
If you go to your settings and have posts listed, 'linear new posts first' you will see anything 'sold' immediately and not need to scroll down.

Takes a while to get used to, but I like it.

Ginette
14-Jul-2014, 18:24
For sale items history is a good thing.

--P
I think the answer is no. If the poster can edit the title, he can edit the whole post. But the forum I own in the past was an Invision, not a VBulletin.

But I think the best way is to give "the permission" (forum options) to the original poster to CLOSE the topic so we will be able to see immediately if the items are sold.
i.e. with the little icon 118279

Leigh
14-Jul-2014, 18:34
But if you close the topic there's no opportunity for either party to leave feedback.

-

Ginette
14-Jul-2014, 18:39
But if you close the topic there's no opportunity for either party to leave feedback.

-
"Buyer-Seller Advisories" can be used for this. Or OP can wait the time the buyer had received the item before closing the topic.

Leigh
14-Jul-2014, 19:02
"Buyer-Seller Advisories" can be used for this.
Or OP can wait the time the buyer had received the item before closing the topic.
can... can... can...

I like the can-can.

Just leave the threads alone.

- Leigh

Ginette
14-Jul-2014, 20:21
"Buyer-Seller Advisories" can be used for this. Or OP can wait the time the buyer had received the item before closing the topic.

can... can... can...

I like the can-can.

Just leave the threads alone.

- Leigh

Yes, like you said in your sig: "If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right."

Ginette
14-Jul-2014, 20:44
Another advantage of the CLOSE option of the topic by the seller is that will not bump the topic at the top like when the seller add a new post to tell us "SOLD" or "PAYMENT PENDING" and rebump at the top the next day with "SOLD".
We will understand that if the topic is closed by the OP - item is sold or seller changed his mind and don't wish to sell it anymore.
Also we will not have anymore question like "Is it still available?" 3 months later the original post.

Leigh
14-Jul-2014, 20:51
Also we will not have anymore question like "Is it still available?" 3 months later the original post.
I'm sure your time is way too precious to waste on reading ads for items that are already sold.

Fortunately, most of us don't suffer from that affliction.

- Leigh

jbenedict
14-Jul-2014, 21:41
Damn, it's fun arguing about non-problems...