PDA

View Full Version : Hello From a student photo major -- Indianapolis

martha
7-Jul-2014, 07:13
Hi,

Just wanted to post here to let everyone know that I am a really new newbie. I am a non-degree undergraduate photography major at Indiana University. My advisor has suggested that I use large format for my senior project. So, I have a new/used Cambo SC with a Fuji CM Fujinon-W 4X5 180mm f/5.6 Lens with Copal 1. I am just beginning to learn my way around the camera. So far I think I am making progress but cannot figure out how to remove the dark slides from my new/ used Riteway film backs. I am sure there is a better place for me to post that question. This is a wonderful resource for students. Thanks to all! I am sure you will be hearing a lot from me!

Cheers,
Martha

Andrew O'Neill
7-Jul-2014, 07:31
Hi Martha, and welcome! The dark slides should just slide out... Once the holder is inserted into the back of the camera, and the lens' shutter is closed, it's safe to pull the slide out. Make sure the little black L pin above the tab is out of the way before pulling the slide. Make the exposure, and reinsert the slide with black tab facing out.

Gem Singer
7-Jul-2014, 07:37
Martha,

There is a little button near the top of the Rightway film holder.

While pushing it inward, slide the darkslide out to load film.

When the film holder is inserted,the button is depressed automatically when it contacts the camera.

martha
7-Jul-2014, 07:41
Oh, wow! That was it, the little button! Thanks Octogenarianm you rock!!

DrTang
7-Jul-2014, 08:41
hey...what's your senior project?

Leigh
7-Jul-2014, 14:25
Oh, wow! That was it, the little button! Thanks Octogenarianm you rock!!
Hi Martha, and welcome aboard.

Since you have the little button, it means you also have the numbering dials at the bottom of the holder.

When you open the loading gate you can adjust these to whatever numbers you want.
Those numbers appear on the negatives, outside of the normal image area.

I find that an excellent way to key the negatives to my shooting log.

BTW, since nobody has mentioned it here...
A shooting log is critically important to large-format photography because of all the variables.

Start by numbering all of your film holders. Write the # in the little white tab at the top (not on the darkslide), and also set the number in the wheels I mentioned earlier. Then mark the sides A and B.

You key each entry in your shooting log to the holder number and side.
Make a comment or simple drawing for each shot in the log, so you're sure which negative it matches.
Note the shooting conditions, shutter speed, aperture, point of focus, and any other pertinent details.

LF shooting is much different from smaller formats because there are so many variables.
With LF you have complete control over everything that happens before, during, and after exposure.

Good shooting.

- Leigh

MIke Sherck
7-Jul-2014, 15:21
Welcome to large format. Click on over to the Midwest Large Format Asylum at http://www.midwestlargeformat.com/. We have members in Indianapolis, perhaps you could join one or more of us on an outing and get to ask questions in real time?

Mike

Leszek Vogt
7-Jul-2014, 16:04
Welcome to the LF forum, Martha. No pressure ~ the quicker you learn and practice, the better your results = satisfaction. Good luck.

Les

Alan Gales
7-Jul-2014, 18:18
Leigh, you amaze me how detail orientated you are. I mean that as a sincere compliment. I've never had the patience for it.

Welcome to the forum, Martha!

martha
8-Jul-2014, 07:10
hey...what's your senior project?

About my senior project . . . Well, it has not been entirely defined yet! It is going to focus on Indiana. I have discussed with my advisor a project that will be about the special features of selected Indiana State Parks. I have been reading about these and realize that each has a special feature -- History, Nature, Geography/Geology, Noteworthy Architecture, Recreational Facilities, etc.). In conjunction with this I would be considering the seasons of the year. Now that I have had time to give this further thought I have begun to realize that there would be considerable travel involved ($$$$), so I am beginning to wonder if I might have taken on too broad a scope for this. So, I am now giving thought to doing the same sort of thing with a focus on Indianapolis. Also on my mind is the fact that Indiana will celebrate the bicentennial in 2016 and how I might work this in. I do know that whatever I select, the project will involve more than Large Format -- I will be incorporating medium format (this is my favorite right now . . . but that could change!) and digital, probably pinhole / zone plate, special silver gelatin processes, (I did a really fun series of Solarized images).
I would really be interested in ideas the this group might like to contribute. I hope to have a draft plan in place by the time school starts in late August. Your suggestions?

martha
8-Jul-2014, 07:25
Thanks for all these suggestions! I had no idea that these little wheels were even there! I see them and have set a couple. I did do a project last semester with large format, but the department has a limited number of LF cameras for students to borrow, so I did this project with another classmate. Right now I am practicing the camera movements that we learned in class -- basically getting familiar with my camera. My first actual shots will use Harmon Direct Positive Paper -- because the feedback is immediate. I can develop these at home in the bathroom! I do know about many of the mistakes that can be made -- we made a number of them last semester!!! The log is a wonderful idea!

martha
8-Jul-2014, 07:28
What do the little triangle shapes with "!" mean at the bottom of posts?

DrTang
8-Jul-2014, 08:17
I would really be interested in ideas the this group might like to contribute. I hope to have a draft plan in place by the time school starts in late August. Your suggestions?

K

here is the idea I had back when I was in college that the head of the Art/Photography dept DID NOT LIKE...of course I wasn't a photofraphy student then..but..come on

set up a studio area in someplace central at the university..a room in the student union perhaps

then everyday for a week? two weeks? get set up..then run out and pull students walking by into the room and photograph them - grab a semi representitive selection..also grab anyone else wandering by..janitors, professors, etc

photograph them - - then.. that night, develop the film, scan and make prints (ink jet maybe)
and then early the next day.. put the day befores prints up on a temp gallery wall somewhere on campus
by the end of the period..you will have a nice documentation of Indiana University students circa 2014-5, and.. a complete photo show hanging

..Imagine if someone had done this every three years say starting in 1964 - how telling would that collection be by now??

Leigh
8-Jul-2014, 08:40
What do the little triangle shapes with "!" mean at the bottom of posts?
That's a special link to report bad / offensive / spam posts to the moderators.

We seldom have need of it, but do get hit by spammers occasionally. I've reported several.

- Leigh

Leigh
8-Jul-2014, 08:44
The log is a wonderful idea!
I use a special little pad called a "Reporter's Notebook", made by Tops.

It looks just like a steno pad, but only half the width.
If you look inside a commercial shooting jacket you'll find a pocket designed to hold these.

PM me your mailing address and I'll send you one gratis.

- Leigh

Afterthought...
It occurs to me you may not know how to do a Private Message (PM) here.
Left-click your mouse on any user's name (at the upper left of any post). A selection list appears.
Click on Private Message. A composition screen similar to a regular post screen appears.
Compose and send the message.

You can access your private messages from any page by left-clicking Notifications at the top.
A link to your Inbox appears. Left-click on that to access that page.
You can access Sent messages and other features from the menu at the left of the PM page.

In your account preferences you can enable an email notification whenever you receive a PM.

martha
13-Jul-2014, 15:01
Thanks to all for such a warm welcome! I still have lots to learn. I am reviewing other forum topics and see threads that I am going to follow.