PDA

View Full Version : History of tripod hole

CTwist
4-Jul-2014, 00:53
I am constantly amazed how long ago some things were decided. I'd be curious to know how old the 1/4" BSW tripod hole is. I have a camera with one from the 1890s; I am sure it must be much older.
Thanks,
Charles

David Lindquist
4-Jul-2014, 14:12
I am constantly amazed how long ago some things were decided. I'd be curious to know how old the 1/4" BSW tripod hole is. I have a camera with one from the 1890s; I am sure it must be much older.
Thanks,
Charles

Through Google I found that Sir Joseph Whitworth first described the Whitworth thread form in 1841 and at the same time made his initial proposal of screw sizes, including the 1/4 inch X 20 threads per inch and 3/8 inch by 16 threads per inch screws. So just in time for the invention of photography two years earlier. It took some time for Whitworth's series of screws to gain common use and even more time to be adopted as a standard by the British Board of Trade in 1880. I'm guessing the term "British Standard Whitworth" dates from that year. Of course what we don't know is who first took a camera and mounted it on a tripod using a single screw, but the technology was available when that time came.

I have a hunch that today the 60 degree UNC thread form is used instead of the 55 degree Whitworth, but I don't know that. I do know that American made 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 UNC socket head cap crews will easily thread in to the appropriate sized tapped holes in my Linhof QuickFix II.

David

Tracy Storer
4-Jul-2014, 17:25
While most cameras I have encountered of any age use either 1/4-20 or 3/8-16, I have run across at least one 19th C. camera that used a 5/16" (I don't remember the pitch) thread in it's turned brass flanged tripod mount. I mounted up some brass in the lathe and made a 1/4"-20 replacement, it was for a friend / client and quite a few years ago.

Bill_1856
4-Jul-2014, 17:31
I thought that "tripod" holes were made by the other ends of the tripod. Especially, Re: A.A.

Bill Burk
5-Jul-2014, 20:08
I thought that "tripod" holes were made by the other ends of the tripod. Especially, Re: A.A.

That's what I thought this thread was about.

Oh no.

Pardon the pun.

Jim Jones
6-Jul-2014, 07:36
A 1952 ASA document gives both the 1/4 and 3/8 tripod screws and sockets as UNC threads. I don't know if the British preferred Whitworth threads.

Michael E
7-Jul-2014, 11:15
What surprises me most is the fact that I've never seen a german camera with a metric tripod thread. But I have to admit that I haven't seen every german camera. Yet.

Michael

CTwist
8-Jul-2014, 09:40
I'll let you off for thinking of the other tripod holes - hadn't even occured to me! :)
Yes German cameras and lenses too. But then I have a British-sold Petzval lens with a millimetric tread. :confused:
There must be pre 1890 cameras with a standard tripod hole. Anyone?
Thanks for your inputs,
Charles