PDA

View Full Version : Seiko shutter lensboard question

wiggywag
2-Jul-2014, 07:20
Hi!

I have a nice Fujinon W 150/f6.3 lens fitted in a small Seiko shutter. The shutter goes into a Copal #0 lensboard, but I have hard time fastening it because there is a small pin on the rim of the shutter that makes it impossible to go tight. I guess it is supposed to stop the lensboard from turning in the lensboard, but there is no hole for this small pin on my lensboard. Anybody know what this pin is? Can I remove it safely?

B.S.Kumar
2-Jul-2014, 07:42
You meant to say "stop the lens from turning in the lensboard", which is correct, and yes, you can remove it without harming the lens in any way. Many Japanese lensboards come with a small cutout at the top of the hole to accommodate the pin. It also helps in orienting the lens the way the maker intended it, which you may or may not like.

Kumar

wiggywag
2-Jul-2014, 07:46
Thanks Kumar for replying!

You meant to say "stop the lens from turning in the lensboard", which is correct, and yes, you can remove it without harming the lens in any way. Many Japanese lensboards come with a small cutout at the top of the hole to accommodate the pin. It also helps in orienting the lens the way the maker intended it, which you may or may not like.

Kumar

Leigh
2-Jul-2014, 09:13
That anti-rotation pin is not unique to Japanese lensboards or lenses.

With repeated cocking and adjusting, a shutter retaining ring can come loose.
This can allow light to leak in. It can mis-orient the lens (off-axis) or allow it to rotate.

I strongly recommend you retain it and modify the lensboard to accommodate it.
You just need a small file to cut a notch in the edge of the hole, at whatever position you want.

I always include these whenever I mount a lens for a customer.

- Leigh

B.S.Kumar
2-Jul-2014, 10:23
I don't know. Many of the Linhof Technika boards do not have the notch, while the Nikon boards generally have them.

Kumar