PDA

View Full Version : Trust BGN at KEH?

dodphotography
25-Jun-2014, 15:51
Opinions, experiences with actually buying low end rated gear? I've had great KEH experiences but am nervous dropping 600-800 bucks on bargain rated glass.

David Karp
25-Jun-2014, 16:10
I recently purchased two micro 4/3 lenses from KEH, both rated BGN. I can't figure out what caused the low rating. No scratches, dents, dings, scuffs, etc., whatsoever. Glass is clean.

lenser
25-Jun-2014, 16:10
Buy and don't worry. I've made dozens of purchases from them over many years, nothing higher than bargain, and have usually gotten items that I would have rated at excellent plus. Besides, you've got a long warranty period, plenty of time for glitches to make themselves known, so you are well protected. By the way, they also have a very good repair department.

John Schneider
25-Jun-2014, 16:12
In my experience some BGN stuff is truly bargain (which I usually return), while other BGN stuff (probably >70%) is so conservatively graded that I'm genuinely surprised (and happy) that KEH would sell it so cheaply.

dodphotography
25-Jun-2014, 16:17
Not a bad idea inspecting it then returning if any issues arise. Now... The age old question, lens or a scanner. Only enough coin for one

Tin Can
25-Jun-2014, 17:24
I have also bought higher grades and gotten NOS.

It all depends, as they move more used photo gear than anyone.

They seem to know what they are doing and they do a great service to those of us who are very happy to buy an excellent new car after depreciation.

Ron Marshall
25-Jun-2014, 18:55
Over the years I have purchased about 30 cameras and lenses from KEH and only one had to be returned; which they did without any trouble.

Most were Ex or Ex+ and in many cases they could have been new.

koh303
25-Jun-2014, 18:56
lenses are cheap. Get one that works, and buy the expensive scanner.

Fotoguy20d
25-Jun-2014, 19:28
I just bought a Bronica SQ-A kit from them. The 80mm lens was the highest rated at BGN. The 120 back was UGL, as was the body and finder. Everything works fine. The lens glass is pristine. They have a stellar reputation for a reason. If you don't like it, send it back. How can you beat that.

Dan

BrianShaw
26-Jun-2014, 06:49
Buying bargain grade works for some folks. If it doesn't work for you please don't come back later with complaints, though. There is an inherent risk being taken when buying bargain grade equipment.

MrFujicaman
26-Jun-2014, 11:07
I've bought hundreds of dollars of BGN grade items off KEH. Most of it, other stores would have rated VG to E-. The 2 times I had a problem with the item, I returned it with no hassle.

DrTang
26-Jun-2014, 11:23
Now... The age old question, lens or a scanner. Only enough coin for one

Lens

you can scan later

goamules
26-Jun-2014, 11:37
Give KEH a break when you buy, and keep what you picked. You don't return things that are in better condition than described BGN, or send them a little extra money for those cases, do you? Which everyone agrees are 98% of the time. Buying a antique item decades old, listed as "bargain" grade, and priced WAY below normal, then thinking, "I'll buy and check it out, then return if I don't like it..." is a crock. You are buying a poor condition item. It will have problems, issues, scratches, the shutter may not be accurate, etc. Live with it. Or pay more for a better condition one. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Wonder why all the used camera equipment (and other hobby sites) are going out of business? The Walmart mentality - everything should be cheap, and if you change your mind, you should always get a full refund.

dodphotography
26-Jun-2014, 11:39
Give KEH a break when you buy, and keep what you picked. You don't return things that are in better condition than described BGN, or send them a little extra money for those cases, do you? Which everyone agrees are 98% of the time. Buying a antique item decades old, listed as "bargain" grade, and priced WAY below normal, then saying "I'll buy and check it out, then return if I don't like it..." is a crock.

Wonder why all the used camera equipment (and other hobby sites) are going out of business? The Walmart mentality - everything should be cheap, and if you change your mind, you should always get a full refund.

Then why have an established return policy? I could just go out in my backyard and light 800 dollars on fire too for the hell of it

Peter York
26-Jun-2014, 12:18
I have had mixed results with bgn lenses. Some were virtually pristine, and some had to be returned. I also received an ex rated lens that couldn't form an image and had to be returned. Check each item carefully and test each lens. Keh's service is excellent, making returns easy.

goamules
26-Jun-2014, 14:02
Then why have an established return policy? I could just go out in my backyard and light 800 dollars on fire too for the hell of it

I don't know. I wouldn't if I tested items, and described what I found, and was more of an expert than most buyers. But for some reason that do. Wonder why?

dodphotography
26-Jun-2014, 14:03
For hard to please whiners?

Policies exist for a reason... I'm not sure why this is such a complicated concept to comprehend.

goamules
26-Jun-2014, 14:06
Policies exist for a reason... I'm not sure why this is such a complicated concept to comprehend.

Warning labels exist for a reason too. "Don't stick your finger in this light socket....warning this toaster gets hot....warning, don't operate chain saw after drinking...." Wonder why? Hint: because some people need them.

dodphotography
26-Jun-2014, 14:07
So you're supposed to purchase a product that you've neither seen in person or inspected and if it's not up to par just take it for what it is? This is a legitimate business not a yard sale.

Dan Fromm
26-Jun-2014, 14:30
So you're supposed to purchase a product that you've neither seen in person or inspected and if it's not up to par just take it for what it is? This is a legitimate business not a yard sale.

Oh, come on. KEH sells with the right of return.

dodphotography
26-Jun-2014, 14:37
Oh, come on. KEH sells with the right of return.

I know... I'm replying to the gentleman flaming me for the concept of returning a lens.

Leigh
26-Jun-2014, 15:07
People who buy BGN gear because they're too cheap to buy better grades, then
return it if it's not pristine in the original box and working perfectly...

are cheats.

There are other more appropriate adjectives, but they'd get censored here.

- Leigh

dodphotography
26-Jun-2014, 15:08
Wow... We have some holier than though people here.

dodphotography
26-Jun-2014, 15:11
People who buy BGN gear because they're too cheap to buy better grades, then
return it if it's not pristine in the original box and working perfectly...

are cheats.

There are other more appropriate adjectives, but they'd get censored here.

- Leigh

This exists for a reason... it's not being a cheat.

If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase from KEH Camera, you may return it within 14 days for a refund or exchange. Please contact the Sales Department BEFORE returning an item to obtain authorization and return instructions. The Sales Department may be reached via telephone at (770) 333-4200 or via email at sales@keh.com.
Returns and exchanges are allowed within 14 days of delivery and are subject to the following conditions:
NEW items must be in perfect, brand new condition and returned in manufacturer’s original undamaged box. All manufacturer’s original packing materials, accessories and original unused warranty cards (and rebate forms if applicable) must also be included and in perfect condition.
USED items must be in same condition as originally shippedUSED items must be in the same condition as originally shipped. Items that have incurred impact, water or sand damage will not be accepted.
Due to the perishable nature of film and other photo sensitized products, we cannot accept returns on these items.
Returned items must be shipped prepaid to KEH Returns.
Returned items shipped COD will not be accepted.
AS IS items are not returnable.
Returned items that do not meet the above conditions will be subject to a minimum 15% restocking fee.
Returned items received after 30 days will be subject to a minimum 15% restocking fee, and may only be applied to other merchandise. A refund will not be issued.

Noah B
26-Jun-2014, 15:11
Most of the time when I've gotten stuff from KEH I got EX or above, and those items turned out to be like new. I once got a Leica IIIc and it had had a CLA with a new shutter curtain, got it for a steal too. I've gotten bargain items before and sometimes they're either like new or gently used. It's a gamble! If you don't like something send it back, that's why return policies are there. Is it a sin that will follow you to your grave to buy something and return it because it didn't work out? Will St. Peter bring it up when you're at the gates of heaven awaiting entrance? "Oh, it looks like you're damned to hell because you returned a bargain grade lens and returned it!" :cool:

Leigh
26-Jun-2014, 15:33
This exists for a reason... it's not being a cheat.
It's amazing the lengths to which some folks go to justify their actions.

I've never had to justify my actions.

- Leigh

jnantz
26-Jun-2014, 16:10
i've been buying from keh since the early/mid 90s
never had a problem. if you read the description of their
grading system i believe they grade on cosmetics.
so factor in a CLA to your price.

Carl J
26-Jun-2014, 22:52
Go for it. I don't think you'll regret dealing with them and seems like they have a fair return policy (although I've never had to send anything back). FWIW, last time I emailed them with a problem ordering something from their website they were very responsive, or you could simply call.