PDA

View Full Version : double Anti Newton glass

Marcin Czechowicz
26-Oct-2004, 15:56
I've bought an used DeVere 504 enlarger with a Dichromat colour head.
Now I found out that both glasses mounted in the negative carrier are Anti-Newton...
Does it make any sens or I should better buy a clean glass to put on the bottom?
Thank you in advance -

David A. Goldfarb
26-Oct-2004, 16:17
It depends. There is textured anti-newton glass and there is coated anti-newton glass, which has an anti-reflective coating like lenses have. If it's the textured type, then one generally uses that on top and plain glass on the bottom. If it is coated then both glasses may be anti-newton glass. The carrier in my Philips enlarger was like this.

Gem Singer
26-Oct-2004, 16:29
Hi Marcin,

Yes, I recommend using clear glass on the bottom section of the negative carrier(between the negative and the lens). Anti-Newton glass is textured. If it is placed in the image path, the textured pattern will show up on the print. The purpose of the Anti-Newton glass is to prevent Newton Rings from forming between the smooth shiny base side of the negative and the smooth surface of the glass negative carrier. In an enlarger, the emulsion side of the film faces downward toward the lens. No need for Anti-Newton glass there. Some negative carriers for enlargers don't use any type of glass on the bottom half. Anti-Newton glass on the top half, only.

bob carnie
26-Oct-2004, 17:46
Marcin
I would recommend using the regular glass on bottom and anti newton on top, Focal Point in Florida is a very good source for new glass

CG
27-Oct-2004, 07:49
Why not try it before making any changes? If it works well, you're all set. If not...

Best,

C

Andrew O'Neill
27-Oct-2004, 09:51
Use regular, clean glass on the bottom and send the A/N glass to me... hee hee hee.

Marcin Czechowicz
27-Oct-2004, 17:39
Thank you very much for the advices!
I have already made some 30x40 prints with these double textured glasses - they look quite sharp and ok... But probably they can be sharper, probaly somewhere there exists the texture? - I have just ordered a piece of normal optical glass - just in case... I hope I will get it on friday - so I will test it.
Best wishes -

JanE
28-Oct-2004, 11:26
It's safe to use both AN glasses at the same time. Ther's a lot of emulsions that creates newton rings on the emulsion side of the film. I've been making Cibachromes as pro for twenty years with two glasses, also using DeVere's. Excellent enlargers, I still have one for 8x10's.

BUT, if you want contact sheets, then the AN pattern will be visible. There you have to figure out another way.

Jan, Finland.