PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Fraud Alert: Linhof Press 70

J. P. Mose
26-Oct-2004, 05:43
Back in June I posted a warning on photo.net and Ebay about an fraudulent listing for a Linhof Press 70. The seller (Original38) was suspended by Ebay. Four months later he is back under a new name but using the same photos and descriptions (another listing being a Leica):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38612&item=3848589107&rd=1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38612&item=3848589107&rd=1)

I posted another listing of the same camera to warn bidders about the new seller "Carrera 8", along with notifying Ebay. Hopefully, they will shut him down before he rips off someone.

KenM
26-Oct-2004, 06:44
I did a quick search in the archives, and I was unable to find your original article....

Just curious - how do you know the listing (and the original) is fraudulent? Granted, his current feedback is somewhat suspicious, what with two first-time buyers, and only three completed auctions. I couldn't check his other id since those auctions have since rolled off eBay.

I'm not doubting you, btw. As a eBay buyer (and seller), I'm always on the lookout for techniques for spotting crooks.

J. P. Mose
26-Oct-2004, 06:54
Hi Ken,

Here is my original posting on photo.net:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=008Ypi (http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=008Ypi)

My friend was ripped off by "Original38" for the same camera (my friend tried to deal outside of Ebay). He learned an expensive lesson! If you look at the new posting for the Linhof, the seller is also listing a Leica M7...the same M7 photos "Original38" used. Bottom line...this is the same seller under a new identity.

JP Mose

J. P. Mose
26-Oct-2004, 07:43
I just heard from the seller after I sent him a nastygram. Here is his response:

Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 9:35 AM
To: Mose, J P
Subject: RE: Question for item #3848589107 - Like new LINHOF press 70

If I close your listing "Like new LINHOF press 70" you will leave me ??

I not want of war with you !

>From: j.p.mose@lmco.com
>Reply-To: j.p.mose@lmco.com
>To: dudas_38@msn.com
>Subject: Question for item #3848589107 - Like new LINHOF press 70
>Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 03:07:36 -0700
>
>Dear carrera_8,
>
>I see you are back under a new name. I have already warned all the
>bidders
>about you. I have alerted Ebay.

windpointphoto
26-Oct-2004, 08:21
Are you bidding on it so no one else can get ripped off by this guy? If you win what happens? Do you just not pay and hope this will discourage him? Won't this get you alot of negative feedback? I'm just looking for ways to help. Ebay seems to be less and less help with problem sellers and buyers these days.

J. P. Mose
26-Oct-2004, 08:29
Leonard,

When ever a bid over $1 million is placed, the item goes on red alert status and Ebay jumps in quickly. I bid 1 million pounds in hopes of a reaction. I hate to see people get ripped off!

Regards,

JP

windpointphoto
26-Oct-2004, 09:02
Among the many things I don't know that's one of them. Does Ebay take any action against you? Do they contact you to see what's up? I support your actions in this. I'm not asking questions to be a pain.

J. P. Mose
26-Oct-2004, 09:10
Once Ebay determines that the seller is a fraud, all listings by the seller are cancelled. Ebay sends a cancellation notice and that's it. Only recently did I learn about the $1M + bids triggering a response. It will be interesting to see how long it takes this time.

Darin Cozine
26-Oct-2004, 13:46
JP,
It's great to hear people looking out for each other.

Cheers!

Bob._3483
26-Oct-2004, 16:29
"The seller ended this listing early because the item was lost or broken"

Hmmmmm.....

J. P. Mose
27-Oct-2004, 05:05
After the seller ended this listing, the following note was sent to me:

I close my auction earlier.Please close yours - also do not disturb my
buyers .DEAL ??

REGARDS

After "regards" no name was provided. By it is displayed in the e-mail address. So he is trying to negotiate with me! Thinking if I back off the Linhof he can still pursue the other victims....well he is wrong! I don't know why Ebay is so slow to react. I have forwarded this information and still no reaction.

J. P. Mose
27-Oct-2004, 07:57
I JUST RECEIVED THIS NOTE FROM THE SELLER "CARRERA 8":

Sir,
It is My real eBay account and I have some items in real for selling. I close this two items but I want sell my real goods ...soon. It is Ok? Or
you want war with me??I can tell you that I work with russian mafia and pay
50% from my work.If I say your address to this guys and say that you not
give me work and I can't pay money to mafia because you GOOD GUY not give me
this chance!

How you think ??it is good for you??
It is my real ebay and I want sell real goods! Please live me alone or you
will appear in hospital !!

DEAL??!

Alec Jones
27-Oct-2004, 08:59
Tell him that if he keeps this up, you'll sic YOUR mafia on HIS mafia.

martin_4668
27-Oct-2004, 12:07
dear JP

This is enough for Interpol, contact your local FBI office or what you have. You should not accept to be international threatened like that.....
Keep up the good work...

Marie Dohoney
27-Oct-2004, 16:47
Anyone who understands how careful, determined and precise a large format photographer must be just to create an image would know better than to threaten one!

Hang in there!
(I'm still working for one good image!)

Jorge Gasteazoro
27-Oct-2004, 17:08
Just tell him you got friends with the mexican mafia, I`ll put any one of his russian guys against a hundred of my little brown friends armed to the teeth... :)

Andre Noble
27-Oct-2004, 19:55
"I have some items in real for selling."

I'm touched.

jj_4045
29-Oct-2004, 13:02
From time to time there's a Linhof Master Technika that goes up as a 2-day auction. The picture is always the same, crummy blue-cast image and his other items are always the same (watches and bicycles and electronics.) All items were put up within the same few minutes.

It's a fraud who has stolen someone else's eBay account. eBay has his signature/pattern and if you tell them his auction is pulled within the hour.

And as someone else said, bid $1,000,000 or more his stuff goes down even faster. No, eBay has never come back at me for makinig those million-dollar bids. They are hip.