PDA

View Full Version : Epson 1400 print problem. Narrow band shows up on continuous black. not pizza wheel?

nreeque
22-May-2014, 09:57
Hi everyone, This forum has a collection of experienced alternative ink printers so Im hoping one of you has the answer to this problem.

I am getting a 1" band showing up in my prints on the exact same place whenever I have a continuos black tone top left corner of the print. The only thing that it aligns with is the paper feed roller. its about 2-3 inches long and it does not look like pizza wheels to me which to my understanding are very thin lines with dots etc. It does also seem to have a pattern which matches the rollers pattern, but I cant imagine the roller imprinting the paper as its grabbing it to feed it? or is it depositing some type of previously acquired coating etc and not allowing for the ink spray to be set down properly?

The tech: Epson 1400 with Carbon MIS inkset through QTR which has been calibrated, linearized, Icc profiled. The printer is brand new and I've ran a total of 50 prints through it. I opened the printer new and never ran the color inks through it. Nozzles check out fine and the head has been aligned without any problems (as best as they can be) Ive tried cleaning the roller mechanism with lint free pads and eclipse liquid and still getting the mark.

The paper is Epson hot press natural which makes the blemish more obvious than ultra premium presentation which I use to align the heads etc. When the ink dries after 24+ hours the blemish is faintly noticeable but its still there.

Now the printer did sit for a long time while sealed new in its box, which could have contributed to the rear feed mechanism drying out? Im hoping one of you kind people would direct me in a possible solution?

Thank you kindly.

Ken Lee
27-May-2014, 13:27
I get a band which appears to be ink from the roller, when I print with these inks and Hot Press Natural on my Epson 3880 at the largest size. I wonder if there is a basic incompatibility between the ink and the material out of which the roller is made, or an issue with drying times.

Another consideration is that the better Epson printers don't use rollers.