PDA

View Full Version : Filtration on a Saunders LPL 4550XLG

Inayat Noor
16-May-2014, 07:23
I recently purchased a Saunders LPL enlarger which has a color head. Previously I used an Omega D series with condenser. I used Ilford filters for printing black and white.

What settings on the Saunders would be equivalent to the Ilford filters? The color head has dials for Cyan, Magenta and Yellow. I usually use Ilford filters numbers 2 through 4.

Thank you

Oren Grad
16-May-2014, 08:11
The package insert that comes with Ilford papers includes a table showing approximate grade-equivalent settings for different color heads. If you can't lay your hands on one I can dig up one from my darkroom later.

Jac@stafford.net
16-May-2014, 08:11
Open a package of Ilford VC paper.
There is a little document in there to answer your question.

Or, if you don't mind reading a bit more go here: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/2006130201152306.pdf

hka
18-May-2014, 12:04
Filterpackage is the same as for the Omega.

agregov
22-May-2014, 18:06
Saunders are great enlargers. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours. As others have pointed out, every paper has slightly different color settings for filter equivalents. But a rough starting point is 0 magenta/0 yellow is often equivalent to a #2 filter. Magenta adds contrast, yellow reduces. Cyan is generally not used. Most documentation will point out Durst or Kodak filter pack settings. Use Kodak for Saunders enlargers. One thing to note, the Ilford filters you used on the Omega are exposure calibrated so you don't need to change your print times as you add or subtract contrast (at least up to a #4/5 filter). If you want to use the color head and not adjust your print times as your raise/lower contrast, you will need to mix magenta and yellow light. For example, a #2 filter can either be 0M / 0Y or 32M / 41Y. It can be a pain to dial in exact numbers, especially when doing split grade printing. So, many printers either dial just magenta or yellow and adjust their print times accordingly. Usually, paper documentation will list both exposure corrected filter pack settings (eg. 32M / 41Y for #2) and non exposure corrected (adding contrast by using magenta only or reducing, yellow only). If the color head is not something you find enjoying, you can always pick up a VCCE module which has filter controls that pretty much match the old Ilford filters you're familiar with (with no exposure correction required). You can often find them on the big auction site. Hope all that makes sense.

outdoorprinter
23-May-2014, 22:54
anyone can help me how to make a new post for new user ? what i should do ? thanks advanced