PDA

View Full Version : Hi folks, from Brazil south

RSalles
9-May-2014, 09:34
Hi nice people,

My name is Renato, I'm living in the south of Brazil, near the Uruguay border. The region here is called "Pampa" - almost the same topographie as found in Uruguay and some parts of Argentina.
Not new to photographie, neither B&W nor film - i'm 56 y.o., but a LF newbie.
Equipement I'm starting with:
Sinar F2, Sinaron 5.6/210, Tominon 4.5/105. 3 Gossen Lunasix, 1 Pentax V.
A couple of roll film backs - 6x7, 6x9. and 10 4x5 film holders.
Films i'm using at this moment in 120: Fuji Accros 100, Tmax 100, Ilford FP4+.
With 4x5: Foma 100, Shanghai GP3, Ilford HP5+ and FP4+.

The bio part of story is copy-pasted from my webpage at smugmug: rsalles.smugmug.com

-----------------------------------------------------

Sometimes I ask myself with which photography side I'm not, or have not been involved, at any point of my life: photojournalism, film and paper processing, studio and still, theatre, landscape, acquiring, fixing and reselling lenses and cameras, and so on.

I dived into photography at the beginning of the '80 in Switzerland as a studio "make all and everything" guy. Later, I moved to Marseille - France, where I worked as a second photographer in a long local established commercial studio. Two and half years later I moved to Paris to work as portrait photographer, but have made my main work there with scene/theater photography. In the mid '80s I came back to Sao Paulo/Brazil, where I was born, and after a couple of years my interest for the work with photo had near completely vanished, possibly because at that time I was working as employee in several b&w labs, making only images for others and near nothing as a personal work. My interest in photo only came back when my first daughter was born.

Since that, after have spent six years working only in digital photography, the feeling of a need to return to the film process had grown. I'm moving toward this path, and the impression I have is similar as someone who finds, after years of distance, an old friend.

Film photography has unique characteristics which - generally speaking - clients and agencies haven't perceived yet, and I hope it will change sooner or later. My function as a photographer is to make them and the public in general aware of that "other view" that can be achieved only with film - greater tonal range, wider latitude in highlights, absence of digital noise, just to name few.

I hope you enjoy the work I'm doing, as much as I had making it,

-----------------------------------------------

Recent pic:

That's it,

Cheers,

Renato

Brian C. Miller
9-May-2014, 13:23
Welcome to the forum! We have a number of Brazilians on the board. You have a good system there. Yes, LF has a certain allure to it.

RSalles
9-May-2014, 19:06
Brian,

Thanks, it will take some time to me to "find a place" in the forum. For now, I'm reading, there's a lot of content to get here.
I'm not a shy person, but don't like to ask for something that have been answered already many times, so, i'm making my home work first,

Cheers,

Renato

j.e.simmons
10-May-2014, 05:20
seja bem-vindo

RSalles
11-May-2014, 09:18
J.E.Simmons,

Obrigado!

Abs,

Renato

Andrew O'Neill