PDA

View Full Version : Cambo sliding split back gasket?

mdarnton
2-May-2014, 08:16
I bought a Cambo 4x5 split sliding back the other day on Ebay. In cleaning it up, I saw that someone had been messing with it who really didn't understand things. The GG and Fresnel were switched, the locking tab for the finder was on wrong, etc. And there's another strange thing I can't quite believe: the mounting plate (what you'd expect for Cambo--like a lens board with a big hole in it) is separate and screwed to the sliding/back part. The there's a 7mm space between the two plates which I can't account for logically--to fit the back on the camera you'd need much less clearance--and here's the weird part: the space is filled with foam! It's like a thick grey foam gasket, definitely looking non-stock.

Thick foam? Doesn't that just sound WRONG?

Does anyone else have one of these backs? Does yours have foam there, or is there something classier that should be in that space?

Picture: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/PzpmtS5CIbVCosAlflOZSQvIlqe5CLqzigVZogpYZ5E=w1313-h739-no

Thanks in advance.

cowanw
2-May-2014, 08:43
Given digital tolerances, I wouldn't expect such a potential for wiggle in a factory system. The only one I have seen was the smaller size and was without any space or foam, metal to metal, screwed together.

mdarnton
2-May-2014, 08:51
The second part isn't suspended on foam--there are standoffs between (through the foam--I can feel them but not see them) and the parts are connected by tight screws, I think--at least, it doesn't wobble at all. But, yeah, it doesn't seem right.

Lou Baleur
2-May-2014, 10:32
Hmmmm. I have an 8x10 - Double 5x8 sliding back and is solid looking with no foam. I don't even think there's a gasket in there but I don't want to take it apart to check.

If you're worried about light leaks, just wind some black tape around it, or take it apart and give it a re-engineering.

I do like the 8x10 one that I have and would be interested in that piece you have if you want to sell it.

mdarnton
3-May-2014, 08:57
Thanks. I guess I will take it apart next week and lose the space and the foam, if it seems like it will work. I am wondering if I will find a light trap in the two pieces where they fit together, and the foam was a later mod. We will see. . . .

I'm going to be using it for a long term project, so I will probably keep it. If not, I'll let you know.