PDA

View Full Version : A seemingly less ambitious print exchange

jp
28-Apr-2014, 18:24
I've had fun with the print exchanges done by Randy, Darr, et.al. With this post I am organizing a smaller one.

This will be an alt process print exchange.

7 persons per group. (plus organizer) I'm not suggesting ten or eighteen as that's a lot of prints to make using the various alt process methods! Since you don't need to send your own print to yourself, you can prepare 7 prints. If it fills up quick, I could be convinced to do another group after this one is out the door.

Like Randy, keep the finished media 8x10" or less. It should originate from a LF image, but I don't care if you use a digital internegative, etc.. In fact that's an easy way to print multiple copies at once. The size restriction should make shipping easy. If you have one, use a 8x10 film/paper box to send in the photos that I can recycle and return exchanged images. I'll use another lucky number for shipping - $13 for CONUS. (others pay actual)

Please include notes about what you used for paper, chemistry/process, any special toners, etc.. The variety of results and many creative options are part of the fun of alt process and part of the anticipation of this exchange!

How about a June 15 ship deadline?

You can use any alt process method you want, but there is no expectation of anything exotic or expensive. I'll probably do some sort of toned cyanotype because that's what I'm into at the moment. Having a UV box instead of intermittent sun makes creating 7 images much easier and convenient. I can freeze my coated paper and finish later if I run out of time too. Discuss any logistics or questions here rather than PM. I have a habit of having a full inbox. Once we get a group, I'll post a mailing address, etc..

Quote this part \|/ and add your name to the list if you're in.

0. jp498 - Jason Philbrook

MIke Sherck
28-Apr-2014, 18:40
I'll bite! A salt print or toned cyanotype, most likely.

Mike

angusparker
28-Apr-2014, 21:38
I've had fun with the print exchanges done by Randy, Darr, et.al. With this post I am organizing a smaller one.

7 persons per group. (plus organizer) I'm not suggesting ten or eighteen as that's a lot of prints to make using the various alt process methods! Since you don't need to send your own print to yourself, you can prepare 7 prints. If it fills up quick, I could be convinced to do another group after this one is out the door.

Like Randy, keep the finished media 8x10" or less. It should originate from a LF image, but I don't care if you use a digital internegative, etc.. In fact that's an easy way to print multiple copies at once. The size restriction should make shipping easy. If you have one, use a 8x10 film/paper box to send in the photos that I can recycle and return exchanged images. I'll use another lucky number for shipping - $13 for CONUS. (others pay actual)

Please include notes about what you used for paper, chemistry/process, any special toners, etc.. The variety of results and many creative options are part of the fun of alt process and part of the anticipation of this exchange!

You can use any alt process method you want, but there is no expectation of anything exotic or expensive. I'll probably do some sort of toned cyanotype because that's what I'm into at the moment. Having a UV box instead of intermittent sun makes creating 7 images much easier and convenient. I can freeze my coated paper and finish later if I run out of time too. Discuss any logistics or questions here rather than PM. I have a habit of having a full inbox. Once we get a group, I'll post a mailing address, etc..

1. angusparker Angus Parker

I'm in! Either Pt or Cyanotype. Any theme for images?

jp
29-Apr-2014, 06:36

2. Mike Sherck

Great start; No particular theme Angus

ndg
29-Apr-2014, 07:14
I'm interested but have a question. Using one negative, do I do 7 prints using the same technique or do I do seven prints using 7 different techniques?

Nanadadzie

jp
29-Apr-2014, 08:43
I'm interested but have a question. Using one negative, do I do 7 prints using the same technique or do I do seven prints using 7 different techniques?

Nanadadzie

I don't think anyone would expect 7 different techniques. In the last print exchange, I used two similar negatives so I could make 10 prints in half the time. If you want to do 7 identical prints of the same image, thats' fine. If you want to use similar images and expose more than one simultaneously with the same process/craftsmanship, I'm good with that.

Milton Tierney
29-Apr-2014, 10:34
I'm in

ghostcount
29-Apr-2014, 14:22
2. Mike Sherck
3. ghoscount

jp
30-Apr-2014, 06:25
2. Mike Sherck
3. ghoscount
4. Milton Tierney

MMELVIS
30-Apr-2014, 18:41
Count me in
MMELVIS - John Campbell

jp
6-May-2014, 06:34
2. Mike Sherck
3. ghoscount
4. Milton Tierney
5. mmelvis - John Campbell

taulen
6-May-2014, 15:47
I'm in, if you wanna do the hassle of doing it international (Norway) =)
taulen - Jonny Taulen

stawastawa
15-May-2014, 23:51
2. Mike Sherck
3. ghoscount
4. Milton Tierney
7.Nicholas Travers

I am in, cyanotypes, we'll see if I get adventurous and tone em =)

jp
16-May-2014, 06:05
I am in, cyanotypes, we'll see if I get adventurous and tone em =)

2. Mike Sherck
3. ghoscount
4. Milton Tierney
6. Jonny Taulen
7. Nicholas Travers

Awesome; look like it's time to get to work. Looking forward to this.

taulen
16-May-2014, 09:38
I cant say for sure, but I might do two different techniques. Alas, 2x7 prints, 2 for everyone, would that be okay ?
And good luck everyone ! Looking forward to see the results :D

jp
20-May-2014, 14:06
2 is great, but don't expect more than the agreed one print from each participant.

taulen
22-May-2014, 15:58
Of course not =)

jp
12-Jun-2014, 05:31
The mailing address is

Jason Philbrook
156 New County Road
Rockland Maine 04841

If you need a few extra days to get things together, I'm flexible.

Looking forward to this!

taulen
13-Jun-2014, 02:54
Great ! Will get my stuff finished this weekend, so should be on it way on the 16th, and I'm sorry, I will probably be the one making it slower because of longer shipping from Norway, but hope it turns out okay =) Also looking forward to getting all of your prints in return =)

MIke Sherck
13-Jun-2014, 14:16
How do you want your $13, by the way?

Mike

MIke Sherck
16-Jun-2014, 09:48
I'm going to be in the doghouse, I guess. My prints won't go out until Wednesday. I'm having a bit of a contamination issue with paper. I have new paper on hand, I just need to coat and process it but it won't be tonight: it's my younger daughter's birthday. Apologies!

Mike

MMELVIS
16-Jun-2014, 19:06
How do we send the money? PayPal?

jp
17-Jun-2014, 04:31
No problem Mike. you can send a check, cash, MO, or do paypal to internetsoluti@gmail.com

angusparker
17-Jun-2014, 07:56
Sent payment. Prints in mail today. Best Angus

angusparker
17-Jun-2014, 09:05
Dear Jason - since your mailbox is full I'm leaving a message here: Prints are in a film box arriving via USPS priority mail in a couple of days. Thanks for doing this. Best, Angus

Some data on the image:

What: Steam Boat Tug Hercules, built 1907
Where: San Francisco Maritime National Historic Park
Lens: Fujinon 210mm f9
Aperture / Shutter Speed: F16 1/30
Camera: Ritter 8x10
Film: FP4+
Process: Film developed in XTOL in Jobo rotary processor at 20C for 8 minutes, scanned on Epson V750, post in Photoshop, some touch up and creation of digital negative on Pictorico, printed out in Arista UV box on Bergger Cot 320 paper with Pt/Pd process.

jp
18-Jun-2014, 18:01
I've setup a google doc spreadsheet to track status.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14JZz8ixiCTADVes0MSPgqXOhWsI0Iqj18scefdhOw2A/edit?usp=sharing

angusparker
22-Jun-2014, 20:54
I've setup a google doc spreadsheet to track status.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14JZz8ixiCTADVes0MSPgqXOhWsI0Iqj18scefdhOw2A/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for keeping us up to date. Best Angus

jp
23-Jun-2014, 09:57
One person has had to step aside. Room for one more if you can get things in the mail in a few days.

stawastawa
23-Jun-2014, 23:03
One person has had to step aside. Room for one more if you can get things in the mail in a few days.

that's a shame.

sorry to have been silent, been away from the internet for a spell.

prints should be arriving there with you anyday.

MIke Sherck
26-Jun-2014, 17:51
So, how are we doing? Are we close?

Mike

photojeff3200
26-Jun-2014, 18:47
Did you still need another person? I'm in if you do.
Jeff

jp
26-Jun-2014, 19:44
Jeff, if you can get your stuff in the mail at the beginning of next week, you're in.

Mike, I have some packages at the office I need to enter into to what has been received and will update the spreadsheet tomorrow.

photojeff3200
26-Jun-2014, 20:25
Looks like I'm busy this weekend!

jp
27-Jun-2014, 11:22
spreadsheet is updated. Milton and Jeff remain. Big thanks to the other five for your prompt mailing!

photojeff3200
30-Jun-2014, 06:11
They're in the mail.

jp
2-Jul-2014, 10:28
I've got everything but Milton's. If I don't hear from him, I'm shipping as-is (7 participants, 6 prints plus your own) on Monday July 7.

jp
3-Jul-2014, 12:36
Prints will go out Monday. Milton is unable to participate.

jp
8-Jul-2014, 18:06
Prints packaged up and ready to go to the post office in the morning!

jp
9-Jul-2014, 13:06
Prints are sent. Due to everything neatly fitting in an 8x10 film/paper box, shipping wasn't as much as anticipated. I was able to re-use 3 such boxes and contributed three of my own. If you need a tracking # or a true-up on the shipping, send me a private message. Tracking was not affordable to Norway, so that one doesn't get tracked. If anyone does a print exchange in the future, specifying it fit in one of these boxes makes things easy.

MIke Sherck
9-Jul-2014, 18:28
You are a jewel among photographers and I greatly appreciate the effort you and all the participants put into this unique exchange. Keep the change as token recompense for all your hard work.

Thanks again!

Mike

taulen
10-Jul-2014, 18:51
Thank you very much for organizing it, and as Mike said, thank you everyone that participated, looking forward to receiving the prints in the mail =)

MIke Sherck
12-Jul-2014, 13:47
My prints arrived yesterday and my wife and I spent some time going through them. This can be problematic as sometimes she decides that a print is "hers" for a while and I have to wonder whether I'll ever actually get it back. It was close but I think I get to keep this little "portfolio" together -- not because she did or didn't like one or another print, but because I argued aggressively that this particular portfolio deserved to be seen in context with all its entries. Doggone it, it's mine and I want to keep it! :)

I enjoyed the prints very much and greatly appreciate the range of techniques used. I do wish, though, that I knew more about some of the prints. If you didn't write anything down for your submission, please, PLEASE! consider posting something here in this thread. For example, what kind of print is the tugboat? There are other examples. Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks everyone for your contribution. They were all wonderful!

Mike

angusparker
12-Jul-2014, 14:58
Your wish is my command:

Some data on the image:

What: Steam Boat Tug Hercules, built 1907
Where: San Francisco Maritime National Historic Park
Lens: Fujinon 210mm f9
Aperture / Shutter Speed: F16 1/30
Camera: Ritter 8x10
Film: FP4+
Process: Film developed in XTOL in Jobo rotary processor at 20C for 8 minutes, scanned on Epson V750, post in Photoshop, some touch up and creation of digital negative on Pictorico, printed out in Arista UV box on Bergger Cot 320 paper with Pt/Pd process.

MIke Sherck
12-Jul-2014, 18:55
Thank you very much, Mr. Parker. I thought that might be a platinum or palladium print but it might have been a salt print, too. It's nice to know.

Mike

angusparker
12-Jul-2014, 19:03
Thank you very much, Mr. Parker. I thought that might be a platinum or palladium print but it might have been a salt print, too. It's nice to know.

Mike

Welcome - so far my alt process experience extends to PT/pd and cyanotype. Looking into gum and chysotypes next!

MIke Sherck
13-Jul-2014, 14:26
I've started with Salt and Cyanotype using Bostick & Sullivan chemistry. I took a pl/pt workshop once and love the results but salt is more my budget. I'm continuing to explore salt and cyano, still trying to get more contrast out of my negatives. Normal exposure and double developing time with Tmax 400 is getting there, I think. Tea staining of cyanotypes alone might be a lifetime's study!

Mike

jp
13-Jul-2014, 14:35
Pyro stain adds contrast to negatives in the UV range that isn't discernible to our eyes. I'd like to try pt/pd and salt and a bunch of others but lack the time. I figure I'll mess around with bleaching/toning cyanotypes to refine that before moving to the next alt process. I actually like the option of having something totally different from silver prints with the texture and tints and such. Can't control the contrast much with cyanotype, but you can control highlights, shadows, with exposure, bleaching, etc.. Digital negatives work fine too.

taulen
19-Jul-2014, 09:33
I got the prints yesterday, and they all look fantastic ! Thank you to all that participated ! =)

photojeff3200
21-Jul-2014, 19:37
Ditto too...they're all really beautiful. Now to find room on my studio wall...