PDA

View Full Version : Grafmatic film holders, recomendations?

michael Allen
12-Oct-2004, 11:07
I'm considering purchasing a couple Grafmatics to save on bulk considering the high price of quickloads that I currently use.
I was wondering if anyone can share any positive or negative experiences? ie Film damage.......
What models are best to look for?

ronald lamarsh
12-Oct-2004, 11:17
Not sure waht you mean by what model to look for, as far as I know there was only one model. But that said they are an excellent tool, you can use any kind of film you want, unlike quickloads, and loading and service information is available on the web.
Get one from a reputable dealer. I got mine from MPEX for $69 reconditioned! All the septums must straight and all parts in good order. One caution, check the fit to your camera back. I had to modify my Cambo SC for proper fit i.e. some camera backs have an extra metal tang that prevents the grafmatic from seating properly which will give you horrible light leaks.
I love mine.

David A. Goldfarb
12-Oct-2004, 11:45
There are two types of Grafmatic holder for 4x5" Graflok-type backs. One locks on "X" and one does not. The type that locks is more desirable, but both work pretty much the same way. If you get the non-locking type, just remember to remove the holder from the camera by the body of the holder and not the handle.

I believe there is also a Grafmatic for Graflex type backs, which would be wider than a standard holder and would have a groove on the face where you normally would find the lock rib on a regular holder. You don't want this one.

There are also Grafmatics for 6x9cm sheet film.

Sharon S.
12-Oct-2004, 14:12
I have two of these and use them regularly. There are a couple of drawbacks. One is that they are heavier than the quickload/holder. The second is that there is a small disk shape "counter" on the dark slide side that rotates as you shuffle through septum/film sheet. It will leave a number 1 through 6 on your image. If you are cognizant of this you can either reframe, or you can clip this disk off altogether.

Benefits? 6 sheets in a row! No static discharge (so far) on any shot (septums are metal). The film lies absolutely flat.

I wish these were still made...love them.

Jerry Flynn
12-Oct-2004, 16:01
I concur with Dimbulb's comments. I use six of them. Five will fit neatly into a Red Wing film holder bag that is designed to hold six standard 4X5 holders. I can hang this from my belt and have 30 sheets available.

The numbering disk is commonly mentioned as a disadvantage. However, I have found it useful when doing film tests and trying to keep track of E.I. etc. For reference, the number intrudes into the image area just about exactly as much as a standard (unfiled) negative carrier cuts off.

In contrast with quickloads, you can get dust spots on the film. On the other hand, it is cheaper and you can load film that does not come in quickload format.

Dan Ingram
12-Oct-2004, 23:20
Grafmatics are great -- I have two and they have always worked like champs. If you get one, practice loading and unloading the septums several times before using them for critical shooting. It is easy to load and unload, but it pays to be familiar with the mecahnism. When I got my first one, I broke off one of the little springs inside while unloading. Why nobody has created a modern lightweight version of this cool device is beyond me. Maybe Singer still has the patent? Who knows. I like the number wheel myself, but to each his own.

Dan

Henry Ambrose
13-Oct-2004, 04:40
It is fairly simple to remove the number disk if having the number on each sheet bothers you. The disk can be reinstalled later should you change your mind.

Grafmatics are great filmholders! I use them almost exclusivley, except when I am certain I only want to shoot one or two sheets.

David A. Goldfarb
13-Oct-2004, 06:18
There is a modern version made by Fuji called the "Quickchange." It has 8 septums, and you need to buy at least one set pre-loaded, but then they can be reloaded. I'm not sure who sells them at the moment, but Badger Graphic and Robert White have carried them in the past, and I believe they are available in Japan. There is a good page on f32.net about reloading a Quickchange holder.

Another older type is the Kinematic holder, which is a little less smooth in operation than a Grafmatic, but has 10 septums.

Paul Butzi
13-Oct-2004, 11:40
I own eight grafmatics - I find them easy to use, easy to load and unload, and very reliable.

tor kviljo
14-Oct-2004, 01:53
I have three of these, and use them alot. The film-flatness issue is important: when the depressions (two on each side) along the ridges of the septums is fitting for the film-base used, film lies much flatter than in ordinary double-cassettes. If you use thin base films though, the film may slide out of the septum when cycling the holder - causing a lot of #¤%%!!. I experienced that when using thin base aero-film cut to 4"x5" fit for use in these holders. When loading, I now allways check that film fit snugly in each septum before loading them into the grafmatic. The one problem I have with them is light-leak when cycling film. This is no problem when I cycle the grafmatic under the dark-cloth, but my holders is not reliable for use/cycling outside the protection of the dark cloth. Maybe the light trap is damaged in my heavily used grafmatics, but that is hard to say as the holders is mostly riveted together- making deassembly difficult. If You find nice working ones though (test with surplus film or photo-paper cut to 4"x5" - cycling holder in bright sunshine - direct light towards handle-part of holder), they are very practical for a compact 4"x5" backpack set up. But - being most metal they are not light, only fast & compact. I have a stack of old 4"x5" wooden & very light graflex & Kodak holders (works fine!), and I belive 3 of those is no more weight than a grafmatic. Thus the grafmatics features gives the most perfect film-plane & fastest recycling but certainly not the big weight reduction over the ordinary holders. To obtain that, You have to go with a Quickload-holder & a pile of films.

michael Allen
14-Oct-2004, 09:10
Thank's for the helpfull input, I'm aware of the Fuji holder but unlike the Gafmatic I have not held one in my hand. I'm wondering what the size difference is? Is it the same size as the quickload holder? Is it more "reliable" than the Grafmatic?

Jeff Genung
17-Sep-2005, 20:53
Here is a very strange item--Ebay auction #7546603889 this seens to be some sort of older magazine with a leather top that says it holds 12 septums---anyone have any ideas abou this beast?

David A. Goldfarb
18-Sep-2005, 13:43
Not strange at all. That is a Graflex Film Magazine, commonly known as a "bag-mag." It was a precursor to the Grafmatic that worked in a more manual way. A slide would pull the septum into the attached leather bag, and you would slip the septum back into the stack, and you could remove the septums from a door on the back, making it a bit easier to remove a few exposed sheets than it is with a Grafmatic. I have one of these for 5x7" sheets and one for 5x7" plates with film septums, which I use on my 5x7" Press Graflex.

It looks like the bag-mag on eBay is for a Graflex type back, not a Graflok or international style back or the conventional spring back, so it will not work on most 4x5" cameras.