PDA

View Full Version : 4X5 reflex viewer at night

armentor1@mac.com
21-Apr-2014, 06:59
I'm looking to do a project at night and would like to use tilts/swings of my Chamonix. I've tried 4x5 at night before and found it very difficult to see through the ground glass. Can anyone comment on if the reflex view would make it easier to compose?
thanks -

dave

www.davidarmentor.com

Bob Salomon
21-Apr-2014, 07:15
Why do you think it will be easier? You lose light bouncing off a mirror and then through the eyepiece. Everything will be rightside up but reversed left to right and you must use a Fresnel with a reflex viewer. Have you just tried adding a good Fresnel to your gg if you don't have one now?

armentor1@mac.com
21-Apr-2014, 07:26
I shoot very easily at night with my medium format (yashica mat / hasselblad), however, the 4x5 is always very dark. in the past i've had to use a laser pointer to figure out focus and composition edges. Was hoping the reflex view would make the 4x5 act more like a mf camera. Sounds like this will not be the case though.

I currently shoot with a pretty good Fresnel gg.

thanks -
da

Bob Salomon
21-Apr-2014, 07:42
I shoot very easily at night with my medium format (yashica mat / hasselblad), however, the 4x5 is always very dark. in the past i've had to use a laser pointer to figure out focus and composition edges. Was hoping the reflex view would make the 4x5 act more like a mf camera. Sounds like this will not be the case though.

I currently shoot with a pretty good Fresnel gg.

thanks -
da

Those cameras have a Fresnel. You might want to investigate an enhanced gg and Fresnel screen.

armentor1@mac.com
21-Apr-2014, 07:50
that should be an easy enough fix, I'll try that. Any recommendation on who makes a really bright Fresnel screen?

Jac@stafford.net
21-Apr-2014, 08:13
I don't know what GG you have, but a coarse GG rather than the so-called 'satin' glass is easier to focus.

Collas
21-Apr-2014, 08:55
I've just finished reading a book on the 1950s Rolleiflexes and the author of the night shooting article recommended using a torch to illuminate what you're looking at and help set focus.

Nick

DennisD
21-Apr-2014, 10:57
I had a reflex viewer and never liked it. I doubt it would be suitable at night with reduced light.

Two thoughts:

1) if you want a brighter viewing screen (ground glass)
You might try talking to Bill Maxwell - Maxwell Precision Optics.

He produces a variety of Fresnel Screens and Ground glass combinations for different cameras and formats. His screens are excellent, but not inexpensive.
I have one of his viewing screens for my Linhof Technika and it's really bright. He can also supply Fresnel lenses.
This is the information I have and believe it's current, though I have not spoken with him in over a year.
One cautionary note - Bill is a super nice guy, and quite talkative. So call when you're not in a big rush.

Maxwell Precision Optics
Work: 770-939-6644
Work: 770-934-0431
E-Mail: MaxwellPrecisionOptics@yahoo.com
Address: P.O. 33146, Decatur GA 30033-0146

2) If you want to add light to a subject for focusing, check out some of the super bright LED flashlights available nowadays. Many on Amazon.
I recently purchased the item below and cannot believe how powerful it is - stronger than an auto headlamp and has a very wide beam. The price is quite reasonable. It will light up things at considerable distance, but it will not focus into a narrow beam light. However, there are focusable lights as well - you just have to search. If you don't want to use the rechargeable batteries, you can probably use 4 CR123s without the extension tube.

Amazon - SecurityIng® Super Bright Powerful 3800Lm 3X CREE XM-L T6 LED Flashlight

Hope this helps.

Bob Salomon
21-Apr-2014, 11:32
I've just finished reading a book on the 1950s Rolleiflexes and the author of the night shooting article recommended using a torch to illuminate what you're looking at and help set focus.

Nick

1950s Rollei screens were not all that bright compared to current ones.

Rolfe Tessem
21-Apr-2014, 13:07
AFAIK, the Chamonix cameras are all equipped with Fresnel and, as they are of recent manufacture, have a pretty state of the art GG.

To the OP, the reflex viewer will make thinks dimmer, not brighter. The only thing that helps is a faster lens :-).

gevalia
21-Apr-2014, 14:04
I'm looking to do a project at night and would like to use tilts/swings of my Chamonix. I've tried 4x5 at night before and found it very difficult to see through the ground glass. Can anyone comment on if the reflex view would make it easier to compose?
thanks -

dave

www.davidarmentor.com

I have the newer model Chamonix 4x5 and the fresnel is pretty decent but for night work, not so much. A few years ago I used a Meniscus lens before dawn at Bryce and the only thing that saved me was that someone was shining a spot light right on the scene I wanted to shoot. He was kind enough to turn it off for a few minutes after I focused so I could meter and take the shot in the available light. I know someone from the UK suggested a torch (flashlight) and I would have to agree - just to focus of course. Or maybe use hyperfocal.

Ron

armentor1@mac.com
22-Apr-2014, 13:22
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll post images once i get going.

armentor1@mac.com
22-Apr-2014, 13:27
I had a reflex viewer and never liked it. I doubt it would be suitable at night with reduced light.

Two thoughts:

1) if you want a brighter viewing screen (ground glass)
You might try talking to Bill Maxwell - Maxwell Precision Optics.

He produces a variety of Fresnel Screens and Ground glass combinations for different cameras and formats. His screens are excellent, but not inexpensive.
I have one of his viewing screens for my Linhof Technika and it's really bright. He can also supply Fresnel lenses.
This is the information I have and believe it's current, though I have not spoken with him in over a year.
One cautionary note - Bill is a super nice guy, and quite talkative. So call when you're not in a big rush.

Maxwell Precision Optics
Work: 770-939-6644
Work: 770-934-0431
E-Mail: MaxwellPrecisionOptics@yahoo.com
Address: P.O. 33146, Decatur GA 30033-0146

2) If you want to add light to a subject for focusing, check out some of the super bright LED flashlights available nowadays. Many on Amazon.
I recently purchased the item below and cannot believe how powerful it is - stronger than an auto headlamp and has a very wide beam. The price is quite reasonable. It will light up things at considerable distance, but it will not focus into a narrow beam light. However, there are focusable lights as well - you just have to search. If you don't want to use the rechargeable batteries, you can probably use 4 CR123s without the extension tube.

Amazon - SecurityIng® Super Bright Powerful 3800Lm 3X CREE XM-L T6 LED Flashlight

Hope this helps.

__
sounds great - just ordered this light. I've gone this approach before but never with such a strong light.