PDA

View Full Version : Best 8x10 Antique Wood Tripod

LienhopPhoto
18-Apr-2014, 22:44
Although I have been told many times that I should not get an authentic wood tripod, I still want one. I have no clue on brands, and what works best. What you anyone suggest for a wood tripod that would hold an Eastman 8x10. Either a surveying tripod or camera tripod. Anything wood and from the time period. Suggestion/opinions under $200?

John Kasaian
19-Apr-2014, 00:06
Ries has been around for a long, long time. Even used I doubt if you'll find one for under $200 but they won't let you, or your 8x10 down and that's what's really important right? My battered old 'dorff looks downright pretty on the Ries .

Jim Noel
19-Apr-2014, 08:00
Ries and Otto are the only two reliable brands. I don't call them antique as I use only wooden tripods. My experience indicates the Otto's are stronger for their weight.
I doubt you will find one at or below $200. A good used one will likely more than double that price.

LienhopPhoto
19-Apr-2014, 08:55
Yeah i can get a nice LF tripod for about $150. I just wanted an older wood one that would hold an 8x10

djdister
19-Apr-2014, 09:03
Are you more interested in matching the "antique" look, or getting a strong new wood tripod? It sounds like you are more interested in the former, in which case just search on "wood tripod" on the auction site to see many Folmer Graflex tripods among other vintage wood tripods.

LienhopPhoto
19-Apr-2014, 09:06
Antique look. Just wanting something that would be strong enough to hold it

Alan Gales
19-Apr-2014, 09:27
I'm a Ries guy but I have also used Berlebach's. Berlebach's are really nice wooden tripods and I have seen them go used in your price range. I paid about $150.00 for mine in mint condition. They are beautiful tripods but I wouldn't call them antique looking though.

You are probably best doing as Dan says and watch Ebay for a "wooden tripod". I'm sure something will come up if you are patient.

Jac@stafford.net
19-Apr-2014, 10:20
Antique look. Just wanting something that would be strong enough to hold it

Is this tripod to be used to exhibit the camera, or to use it?

William Whitaker
19-Apr-2014, 10:27
A Crown #4 would be fine for your 8x10, but you'll probably find that it will exceed your price range. In fact, "antique" or "vintage" wooden tripods on Ebay often have prices comparable to new ones. Be patient; one will appear when you least expect it.

Regular Rod
19-Apr-2014, 11:17
Gandolfi Tripod is very stable, made of wood too. I use one with a whole plate camera and it would easily cope with 8x10.

RR

LienhopPhoto
19-Apr-2014, 11:32
Is this tripod to be used to exhibit the camera, or to use it?

Both. And when i mean use. I mean use once every 6 months. Mostly display

djdister
19-Apr-2014, 12:25
Will is right, the Crown #4 looks just about right. The one on ebay at the moment has a starting bid of $199, although there are similar ones listed too.

Jac@stafford.net
19-Apr-2014, 13:06
Will is right, the Crown #4 looks just about right.

Yes, that is most authentic and the worst tripod for practical use. Just useless. Go for it.

DannL
19-Apr-2014, 14:31
Yes, that is most authentic and the worst tripod for practical use. Just useless. Go for it.

Oh wonderful. Next someone will tell us that view-cameras are outdated and worthless.

I use a Crown No. 1 with one of my view cameras. Would it be considered useless? If so . . . please explain why. ;-)

LienhopPhoto
19-Apr-2014, 14:35
This camera might be used a few times a year as I dont have a setup to develop on my own yet. When i ask for advise, i want opinions on a name brand or just overall ideas related to buying an antique wood tripod. I found a few on ebay for under $100 that are older and wood. My question is if they will hold up the weight

goamules
19-Apr-2014, 14:38

Wrong, the Crown tripods were not made for, let's see 50 years and by 3 different companies because they were worthless. Look at all the period photos. Almost every photographer pro and amateur used a Crown. I've used a number 2 for 4x5 and number 4 for 8x10 and wetplate for YEARS and like them. Personally, I've used a Reis, and I pinch my fingers and hate the ugly things.

Here is a Folmer/Century/Eastman/Graflex Professional I just got, under the Eastman No. 2 camera, next to a No. 4 Crown. Five foot wife for scale. Either will hold a Kodak 2D with no trouble. Don't get the No. 3 or 2, they are too small for 8x10s. The Crown 4 was the best heavy tripod for decades, unless you get into Cinema tripods like the Camera Equipment Co. Professional. None of these had fluid heads or such, and were used just fine for generations.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3824/13940679633_38eafcf781_b.jpg

DannL
19-Apr-2014, 16:00
I use the tripod pictured here with the 8x10, half-plate and 5x7. I haven't found a manufacturers mark on it. It appears to be made of oak and is two-section. With the addition of the Folmer Graflex tilt (pictured), it makes for a perty versatile platform.

113954 113955 113956 113957

LienhopPhoto
19-Apr-2014, 16:02
Pretty cool. I found a few i will just keep looking. Where did you get yours DannL?

DannL
19-Apr-2014, 16:04
Additional image.

DannL
19-Apr-2014, 16:05
Pretty cool. I found a few i will just keep looking. Where did you get yours DannL?

I purchased this tripod at a garage sale, locally. The Folmer Graflex tilting platform was an ebay purchase. They are regularly available on ebay.

goamules
19-Apr-2014, 17:11
I have never seen Dann's type before, and I've seen and sold a lot of tripods. Looks good though. The Crowns are made of cherry wood.

LienhopPhoto
19-Apr-2014, 17:18
Would this work?

DannL
19-Apr-2014, 18:04
I have never seen Dann's type before, and I've seen and sold a lot of tripods. Looks good though. The Crowns are made of cherry wood.

Cool! With further investigation I found the manufacturer's mark . . . Rochester Optical Co.; It is impressed in the wood under the base plate.

I found what appears to be the tripod in their 1896 catalog (http://books.google.com/books?id=gjYCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA41&dq=Rochester+Optical+Co+catalog+carlton%27s+sliding+tripod&hl=en&sa=X&ei=5R9TU93dFcic8gHxn4GACw&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Rochester%20Optical%20Co%20catalog%20carlton%27s%20sliding%20tripod&f=false). Labeled as the Carlton's Sliding Tripod.

goamules
20-Apr-2014, 13:24
Would this work?

That looks like a light amateur cine tripod for a small 8mm or 18mm movie camera. Not for 8x10.

Drew Bedo
21-Apr-2014, 04:55
Agfa/Ansco made a tripod with a "geared" triangular center post that had a unique wobble movement when cranked up. Big camera platform too. It is the tripod holding up my Kodak 2-D on the front page of my website.

LienhopPhoto
22-Apr-2014, 20:31
Decided to just get a modern tripod and make a mount. I ended up finding this tripod from someone from work. I build a stained wood base on it and it works great

LienhopPhoto
22-Apr-2014, 20:31

joselsgil
27-Apr-2014, 15:54
Keep an eye out for Burke & James wood tripods as well. I have one that came with my Kodak 8X10 2D. Not the first tripod I would reach for, but it is made with wood. They are kind of fugly looking, so they don't sell for too much $$$

The other wood tripod that I have adapted for the 8X10 camera is a Miller motion picture tripod. The older Miller wood tripods are made in Australia and sell for cheap. I found it on evilbay for $50 from a local (los angeles area), motion picture surplus vendor. I don't see the vendor selling on the bay anymore, but they had tons of useful equipment from the motion picture industry that can be used by large format photographers.

I adapted a Gitzo head to the Miller tripod legs. All in all, I have less than $200 wrapped up in the Miller tripod.