PDA

View Full Version : Macro lens problem, any ideas?

EOTS
17-Apr-2014, 10:23
Hi,

I've tried two macro shots on 4x5" with the Nikkor 120mm AM,
and have a strange issue (see pictures)
(please forgive the quality of the flower images, just quickly snapped via pocket camera)

It was an overcast day.

Observation: it scales with the image ratio.

Possible explanations:
1) The lens has some scratches in the coating, can this cause the issue? (had no problems with the watch shot though)
2) It was a rainy day, perhaps a drop of water on the lens which was side lighted?

Have you got any other ideas or ever had a similar experience?

Best regards and thanks,
Martin

Steve M Hostetter
17-Apr-2014, 13:10
I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that it looks like a lens flare since it goes in the same direction with both vertical and horizontal configuration you show here..

blueribbontea
17-Apr-2014, 13:38
Hi Martin: The flare in the first 2 goes into the dark border area of the film, hidden, one would think by the film holder, thus maybe not lens flare. Again, the first 2 images are on a different film than the watch photo, which has no flare. I would suspect the film except that the direction of the main flare stays constant when you switch from horizontal to vertical. Except for that exposure in the border areas at th bottom of the negs I would think that the bellows has a very small hole that only opened when you racked them out for the macro shot. I'm wondering if what appears to be flare in the borders is really an artifact of your snaps with your pocket camera.

Bill

Brian C. Miller
17-Apr-2014, 14:08
... I would think that the bellows has a very small hole that only opened when you racked them out for the macro shot.

+1, it looks like a light leak. Martin, rack out your bellows, and check for pin holes.

Francisco J. Fernández
17-Apr-2014, 17:23
You may be a small hole in the bellows.

But there is a mismatch, the two pictures of flowers are made at different scales (very different scale)

That requires very different lengths bellows.

To make a hole flare as two different lengths bellows should have several holes in different places ... that's not logical (that have happened many more times).

I think it is:
Drop of water on the outside of the lens that produces a flare internal refraction
O
An internal condensation for temperature and humidity changes inside of the camera or lens (inside between the lenses, or the inner surface of the lens).

This hypothesis would be acceptable, if no holes in the bellows.

Francisco J. Fernández
17-Apr-2014, 17:29
it can also be a spot of some liquid during drying of the plates ... that milky tone is usually very typical defects in processing color film

or it may be a small break in the developing tank causing a small flare

onnect17
17-Apr-2014, 17:43
A couple of things to check.
-Any reflection from the front part of the camera entering in the lens.
-Any problem in one of the blades in shutter like sticky or bended.

Francisco J. Fernández
18-Apr-2014, 01:02
Hi,

I've tried two macro shots on 4x5" with the Nikkor 120mm AM,
and have a strange issue (see pictures)
(please forgive the quality of the flower images, just quickly snapped via pocket camera)

It was an overcast day.

Observation: it scales with the image ratio.

Possible explanations:
1) The lens has some scratches in the coating, can this cause the issue? (had no problems with the watch shot though)
2) It was a rainy day, perhaps a drop of water on the lens which was side lighted?

Have you got any other ideas or ever had a similar experience?

Best regards and thanks,
Martin

The image scale of the first flower and the image scale of the clock are very similar.

in both photographs the bellows extension will be almost identical (because they've used the same lens) so if there was a hole in the bellows flare would occur in the two photos.

all matches a diffraction in a drop of water, either on the outside of the lens or the internal humidity condensation

EOTS
18-Apr-2014, 04:48
Thank you all for your answers, appreciate it!

First I will test the bellows for leaks,
and try it with another camera on tomorrows trip.

Best regards,
Martin

Francisco J. Fernández
18-Apr-2014, 07:46
Hello, what is your camera ... I have several spare bellows do not use, if any good is what you gift.

EOTS
18-Apr-2014, 08:18
Hi Francisco,

it's an Arca Swiss 171mm F-metric 4x5" camera.

Best regards,
Martin

Francisco J. Fernández
18-Apr-2014, 09:35
Uff .... I'm sorry but I do not own any of the ARCA brand, other brands if I have multiple bellows parts, I never used ARCA.

although I think this with your bellows holes

EOTS
18-Apr-2014, 09:53
Well many thanks for offering your help anyways!

Any chance to repair a bellows?
Have to dig in the deeps of this forum ,
must have been a popular topic...

Best regards,
Martin

Jim Noel
18-Apr-2014, 10:54
Since the streak goes under the lip of the holder, and this is on different film thanthe watch, my assumption is the film was subject to a dim flare while loading, or even in the open box. I doubt it is a bellows problem.

EOTS
18-Apr-2014, 13:24
AARRHGGGHGHGHLLL! :mad:
What the f**k is going on with my beloved bellows? ;-)

WORD OF ADVICE:
After a hard day of work, never dare to go enter a dark room and put a ultra bright LED flashlight into your bellows ;-)

Bought the camera+bellows about 2 years ago used and never had issues, not even with the 720mm last autumn,
but it seems now there is at least one major light leak.

I guess the others didn't have any influence until now ...
It was the first time I mentioned one ...

Also, as the Arca Swiss Bellows is symmetrical you can mount it in both directions ...
Perhaps this time the leak was nearer to the film standard and therefore had impact ... without knowing it's a 50:50 chance.

Best regards,
Martin

Francisco J. Fernández
18-Apr-2014, 15:19
Wow, I'm sorry for you.

gsinico
22-Apr-2014, 08:32
Since the streak goes under the lip of the holder, and this is on different film thanthe watch, my assumption is the film was subject to a dim flare while loading, or even in the open box. I doubt it is a bellows problem.

I agree,
Seems to me that this could be a mismatch during pulling the holder into the Arca spring screen.
I have the same camera, some leak charging the film holder in.