PDA

View Full Version : Canon PRO 100 PIXMA Printer - OK for Degital Negs?

Eric Biggerstaff
6-Apr-2014, 10:09
All,

B&H has a smokin' good deal on this Canon printer.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/893738-REG/Canon_6228b002_Pixma_Pro_100_Photo_Inkjet.html

After rebate it is $98 bucks, the ink is a tad costly but......

I am in need of a printer to make digital negs and was wondering if anyone has used this one or had any input.

Thanks,

AuditorOne
6-Apr-2014, 11:37
I have it and it is a terrific printer. Gorgeous black and white prints and magnificent color ones. Right now I am using Red River's Polar Pearl Metallic paper and it is great. However, I have not tried to use it for digital negs yet.

One of my problems is the lack of profiles. If one exists for digital negatives I haven't found it yet and I don't know enough about it yet to construct my own.

Another is ink. I don't know if the current ink set is usable to build digital negs or not.

Of course, trial and error is the best teacher so one of these days I will have to start testing it, but I haven't yet.

mdarnton
6-Apr-2014, 11:39
I have one, love it for regular prints, and also eagerly await an answer from someone who's done digital negs with it, since I'm gearing up for carbon printing.

Eric Biggerstaff
10-Apr-2014, 07:03
Thanks for the help!

I will likely grab one of these as this is a darn good deal.

Tin Can
10-Apr-2014, 07:57
Don't do it. I have a Pixma Pro 1 that is impossible.

Jim Cone does not support Canon. http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPress/ Use what he suggests!

I have wasted plenty of money and ink and have gotten nowhere.

Canon support is non-existent.

I highly suggest you avoid the 'good deal'

I will be dumping my $1000 printer full of new ink for $200 shortly, IF I can get it.

mdarnton
11-Apr-2014, 07:29
I've had only Canon printers for the last decade or so after a series of total disasters with various Epsons. In the time I've had Canon, there's been not a single clog. The Epsons were constantly clogging, virtually every time I used them. I guess that Epson is OK if you're using it daily, keeping it flushed, but for me, printing less regularly, the Canon is great, and the new Pro 100 prints gorgeous B&W, too.

Tin Can
11-Apr-2014, 08:18
But are you doing digital negs?

I switched to Canon for the same reasons, but now that mine will not accept the firmware update, it is unusable.

Mine is out of warranty and Canon's says bring the 90 pound printer to the suburbs!

I am in Chicago, buy my Pixma Pro 1 for $200.

I've had only Canon printers for the last decade or so after a series of total disasters with various Epsons. In the time I've had Canon, there's been not a single clog. The Epsons were constantly clogging, virtually every time I used them. I guess that Epson is OK if you're using it daily, keeping it flushed, but for me, printing less regularly, the Canon is great, and the new Pro 100 prints gorgeous B&W, too.

AuditorOne
12-Apr-2014, 18:45
My problem with my old Epson was the same. I have wasted more ink and time over a year cleaning the heads, only to start over doing it again in just a few days. I have had my Canon Pixma Pro 100 for over a year now and it turns out stunning prints, both color and b&w. And I have not yet had to clean the heads. I have no intentions of getting rid of it.

Now, I have no idea whether or not it will do digital negs but I will try. Epson most certainly is the tried and true favorite in the digital negative arena. If it doesn't, I will still hold onto it even if I begin looking for an alternative for my negatives.