PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Use These Altogether?

sandunashan
6-Apr-2014, 08:24
Setting the shutter speed, ISO, and aperture can often be quite tricky for the new photographer and I am new in photography most SLR cameras offer different automatic modes which allow a photographer to set just one of these things. Can you please guide me how i can use these altogether ??????

Thanks in Advance

Winger
6-Apr-2014, 08:34
Since large format cameras (the focus of this website) don't have auto modes (or even built-in meters), it is important to understand the relationship between the settings. Here's one site that explains it fairly well. - http://photographylife.com/iso-shutter-speed-and-aperture-for-beginners

ic-racer
6-Apr-2014, 15:45
Setting the shutter speed, ISO, and aperture can often be quite tricky for the new photographer and I am new in photography most SLR cameras offer different automatic modes which allow a photographer to set just one of these things. Can you please guide me how i can use these altogether ??????

Thanks in Advance

Sinar/Copal has the capacity to link aperture & shutter speed. http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/sinar_2.html

Light Guru
6-Apr-2014, 16:45

Thanks in Advance

Practice practice practice. As said this is a large format photography forum and you should probably get a good handle on the exposure triangle before you jump into large format. You will also save yourself a lot of money by practicing with a smaller format or with a digital camera.

cyrus
6-Apr-2014, 19:46

Thanks in Advance

As I understand your question, you want to set your camera on entirely manual mode but thus far you can only figure out shutter priority and aperture priority settings. These are still automatic settings; in shutter priority mode you determine the shutter speed, the camera determines the aperture size for a proper exposure. In aperture priority, you set the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed for the right exposure.

Most cameras have an 'm' mode for manual that lets you control everything manually, shutter speed as well as aperture size. The film speed ISO on film cameras does not change like on digital cameras -- you generally use the ISO setting to match whatever film you have put into the camera and can't switch a knob to increase or decrese ISO.

as for how these things relate to each other. A reduction in one setting has to be matched by an increase in the other setting, so you end up with the same exposure (=amount of light entering the camera) and this is made easy by the fact that each "stop" or setting on the shutter speed/aperture size scale is half or double the other stop. Turning the shutter speed knob one stop (say, from 1/60th to 1/120th of a second) halves the amount of light entering the camera. To keep the same exposure you have to compensate for that by changing the aperture setting the opposite way by 1 stop, to make the aperture twice a large and to allow twice as much light in.

in LF, everything is generally manaul

Alan Gales
6-Apr-2014, 21:20
The best way to practice is to use a DSLR set to full manual. That way you can immediately see what you are doing and your mistakes won't cost you any money. If you are shooting a 35mm film camera you can keep notes on what you did on each shot and refer to your notes after you get your prints back.

After you learn what you are doing then move up to a large format camera.

It's all kind of like learning to ride a bicycle. It seems so hard at first and then after you learn you wonder why it seemed so hard to begin with. :)

Leigh
6-Apr-2014, 22:08
Hi, and welcome aboard.

Ordinarily you choose the film that you want to shoot for the particular subject. Set your meter to its speed.

Then you choose the shutter speed and aperture that will give the proper exposure.

Any desired exposure can be accomplished using several different combinations.
For example...
1/2 second at f/16,
1/4 second at f/11,
1/8 second at f/8 all give exactly the same exposure.

This speed/aperture combination is influenced by many different factors.

The aperture determines the depth of field, being the closest and furthest subjects that will be in focus. Subjects closer or farther away will be out of focus. When the diaphragm is fully open (small f-number like f/2.8), depth of field is small. As you close the lens down (toward f/16 or f/32 or...), the depth of field increases.

Shutter speed is usually determined by subject motion. If the subject is completely still, like a building, any speed can be used. If the subject is moving rapidly across your field of vision, you must use a very fast shutter speed to stop the motion and avoid blur.

This is an extremely brief introduction to exposure control. Entire books have been written on the subject.

- Leigh

DrTang
7-Apr-2014, 07:57
the bigger the number - the littler the hole

Alan Gales
7-Apr-2014, 10:25
Film uses silver to collect light. The faster the film (larger ISO number) the larger the grains of silver are. The problem is the faster the film the more grains show up in the image. Have you seen images that look grainy like night shots done with high speed black and white film?

With digital you have a sensor instead of film. The problem with a faster ISO (larger ISO) number is you get more noise in your image instead of grain.

So you normally want to shoot as low an ISO as possible so you get the best quality image.

Think of the shutter as a gate. On a ranch the longer you leave the gate open the larger the amount of sheep are able to get out. On a camera the longer you leave the shutter open the larger the amount of light is able to travel to the film.

Think of the aperture as a hole. The larger the diameter of the hole the larger the amount of light is able to travel to the film.

When too much light reaches the film you get overexposure. Too little and you get under exposure. Just the right amount of light and you get proper exposure.

Now using both the shutter and aperture controls together. If you leave your shutter open longer (letting in more light) you have to close your aperture more (letting in less light). If you use a faster shutter speed (letting in less light) then you need to open the aperture more (letting in more light).

Fast shutter speeds stop action. Slow shutter speeds blur action. Large apertures throw the background out of focus (good for portraits). Small apertures extend what is in focus (good for landscapes).

sun of sand
15-Apr-2014, 11:10
Ultimate Exposure Computer
http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm