PDA

View Full Version : 4X5 to Mamiya RZ-Filmback-adapter

europanorama
2-Apr-2014, 23:01
I want to use rz and rb-backs on a 4x5-camera. I already have the g-adapter rb-rz. so logically a 4x5 to mamiya rz 67-adapter would be suitable to use both backs. I can only find 4x5 to RB-adapters, one is a sliding type with groundglass. But i only need a simple one. Thanks

koh303
3-Apr-2014, 07:39
RZ backs do not have manual winding stops when they are not connected to the camera.

europanorama
3-Apr-2014, 20:11
background is using 70mm backs, graflex and RB on 4x5. no groundglass-sliding-adapter needed. yes i have found a chinese solution already. but still have mp4 only as camera. would not be very compact when using with tripod-adapter outside without car.....

polyglot
4-Apr-2014, 20:42
RZ backs do not have manual winding stops when they are not connected to the camera.

That is not correct.

Anyway, I think you'll have much better luck getting an RB back adapted since they're just Graflok. RZ backs need to have a little pin pushed by the camera to indicate that an exposure has occurred and permit winding on.

neil poulsen
4-Apr-2014, 22:07
I don't know about RZ, but I've adapted RB backs to my 4x5. What made this possible on my camera, is that it's possible to mount standard lensboards to the back of the 4x5.

While it can be a bit expensive, one can find a Mamiya Press G-Adapter on EBay that fits onto a Universal body. One that's complete includes a removable ground glass, just like the back of a 6x9 Graflex camera. So after attaching the adapter to the Mamiya Press Universal body, one can focus and compose using the ground glass, remove the G.G., and attach a Graphic or a Mamiya RB67 back to expose the negative. The film in the back is in the same plane as the G.G. This is how it works on a Mamiya Press Universal body, and it can work the same on the back of a 4x5 camera.

These Mamiya G-adapters have two protrusions on opposite sides that lock the adapter onto the Universal body. Each of these protrusions are secured to the adapter by two screws. Removing the screws releases the protrusions and leaves two holes on each side of the adapter. (No longer needed, I put the two protrusions and the four screws into zip lock bag, in case I might want to reattach them later.) I had a machinist cut a square out of a standard lensboard that corresponds to the adapter, tapped two threaded holes on each side of the square in the lensboard that align with the two holes on each side of the adapter, and easily fastened the adapter to the lensboard with four #4 screws (I believe) of the proper length. (Not positive if they were #4's.)

Actually, it's a little more complicated than this. There's a narrow guide bar held in place by three screws on one side of the G-Adapter that had to be removed before I could remove one of the protrusions. After fastening the adapter to the lensboard, I reattached this guide bar. Also, to avoid light leaks, the square in the lensboard needed to be precisely cut. The machinist I worked with did an excellent job in this regard. The adapter fit perfectly into the square hole in the lensboard.

This 6x9 attachment accepts RB67 and medium format Graphic knob or lever film backs. It will not accept Wista, Arca, nor Toyo medium format film backs. I've not tried this, but I've read that, with a modification of the narrow guide bar mentioned above (making it thinner), this set-up can be made to accept Arca and Toyo medium format backs.